Mining for Gems is not fun anymore. Here is a rant and some suggestions to fix that

Then make the cost for mining bombs worth the gains. More options there are, the better the game is. Limiting themselves is the wrong way to go about it.

I agree with a lot of these points. Iā€™m a new player with recently just enough skill to get to level 5 planets. Iā€™ve never tried bomb mining so that part doesnā€™t apply to me. However before last update I was able to get just enough diamonds to build a power coils, and even just afford to buy one. Since last update Iā€™ve made 2 trips to SERP and found no diamonds after burning through 2 stacks of hammers on each tripā€¦ I find gold, alittle bit of titanium, lots of medium and hard coal, iron, silver etcā€¦using an Atlas Iā€™ve strip mines huge areas from mantel up to alt of 30 under huge mountains for hours and no diamonds.

Now donā€™t get me wrong on where my point is going I love the game and I try to play every aspect of it. I really do like to grind for resources, Iā€™m trying to acquire everything on my own and craft everythingā€¦ but with the latest changes Iā€™am starting to loose interest in this part of the game, which means to in order to feel like Iā€™m doing something other than pounding rocks for 90% of the time Iā€™ll have to save up and buy the components from a seller. The other side of that; is the lack of these resources are driving the prices of these items upto a point I canā€™t afford to buy them.

1 Like

Bomb mining was fun thing, I did try out quite late on my character I guess I was like level 47 or 49 by then and did hunt gems before that on level 5 planets with iron tools, maybe with few titanium ones but mainly iron ones.
Bomb vs hammer mining wasnā€™t balanced well enough. Bombs were cheaper to build and and expose area faster.
I would like to see bombs better option on mining than right now but make it so that range forged bombs wouldnā€™t affect to blocks and balancing armoring on blocks on higher planets so that using hammer would be more viable option or some other balance with tools (idk who is using gold and silver hammers).
Linear tool progression that has been suggested in this thread wasnā€™t great for tools, we had that on early access time and I personally didnā€™t like it. But this could be that cool option for bomb mining for saving higher level ores :slight_smile:

it was a fun thing cause it was totally overpowered on certain lvls
i just mass crafted my compacted diamonds i got only with my iron hammer and im happyā€¦ also really pls copper farming doesnt take longā€¦ go on placid or temperate worlds

I have no problem with hammer mining as it is, when I am in the mood. However, the experience gain is SO slow, I feel like I am wasting my time doing it and eventually want to do other activities to get skill points.

Could make bombs just gather that block on destruction

I just went mining on Serpensarindi with a 3x3 aoe hammer, some power brews and persisting pie.

A few observations.

1. There were huge swaths of earth that had absolutely 0 resources. Just solid stone, sand, gravel. I suspect that these are areas that regenerated stone but were interrupted by my entry before being repopulated with resources. These areas wasted my time immensely. I think players with not so much luck are encountering these areas without realizing it (harder to realize when covering less ground than bombs). Whatever it is, these feel awful to chew through.

2. There is a tendency for players to not want to use consumables, especially during the level up phase, preferring instead to work towards putting in skill points for ā€œpermanentā€ upgrades.
    I have heard it many times. Cannot make consumables because skills are focused on power/dex/armor/toolcrafting, cannot buy consumables because money.
    In many games, consumables like buff potions are just a minor perk that boost competitive performance. But here, they provide a good upgrade at all stages of the game. I like the recent buff to brew duration, that makes them actually pretty viable to regularly use. I donā€™t really know how to shift player expectations though.

2 Likes

I did a hour of mining on Sepren tonight and got no gems. Just iron, some gold, small amount of silver and coal. I had made aoe iron hammers to use. Was able to break 5 blocks at a time. Had to do a ton of farming to make the hammers. I hate the changes they did bomb mining. Got fed up and just logged out.

1 Like

Yeah I got a whole 12 diamonds last night after mining with iron tools for 4 hrs and a 200 ping. Was great fun.

1 Like

I feel your pain. I have spent countless hours on Serp exploring and mining for very little return. I have spent hours for a handful of diamonds although I did find sliver, gold, and a tiny bit of titanium.

Mostly what I did was die which is no biggie but the creatures will follow you to hell and back even if you run and still be able to detect you through solid rock if you dig yourself in and wait patiently to kill you when you come out.

While I donā€™t mind grinding away for resources or dying, this game has got to be the most tedious game Iā€™ve ever played. Who wants to pound with a hammer for hours and hours, especially when you get very little return? Some of us keep trying to tell you guys that the tedium is going to turn off new players and you are going to end up with a low pop game. Every ā€˜newā€™ player that I have met running around where I have built is GONE already. I donā€™t have the answers but there needs to be some significant balancing and resource allocation rework done. The game needs fun > grind.

I started playing on release and missed the boat on easy gems through bomb mining, but I just started mining on T5+ worlds and can find 100+ gems an hour, using bombs and then non-forged hammers/fist. Yes I inevitably blow up some gems but thatā€™s the cost. I read somewhere else people were getting 700+ gems an hour with the old bomb mining, which massively unbalances the economy.

I have a question for those who make the claim that gems where just so abundant before the the bomb nerf: When and where were gem anything cheap? Found gem hammers for under 5k anywhere?

Iā€™ve gone back to hammer mining. Its boring. Its unsatisfying. Its unrewarding. Wasting 18 iron hammers to gather for 4 hours to getā€¦ an underwhelming 18 diamonds, 500 iron, 100 copper, 30 titanium and 100 hard coal.

Its not as if Iā€™m unwilling to put in the work, I just used iron hammers on a t5 world for 4 hours of my day. If you think thatā€™s not enough, then screw you. My frustration with the grind is at its peak and I am so completely done with being polite about this.

4 Likes

I think most of us feel the same way about gem grinding, I get it is end game and has to be rare but it seems the amount of effort and tool usage needed is nowhere near the results one would expect and it feels off, too grindy and disappointing for something I would personally consider enjoyable in a game.

3 Likes

See, thatā€™s the thingā€¦ gems arenā€™t even end game. Darkmatter, Blink, and another I canā€™t remember are the endgame mats that havenā€™t been released yet. We have more, MORE grind to look forward to in future updates.

1 Like

Well all I can say is I hope they scale up the gem side of gameplay before they release any of those or anything future endgame is going to be largely ignored by me.

Feeling the same way.

Iā€™m sure the devs have all sorts of log parsers crunching the data and telling them the balance is just right mathematically, the thing is, this doesnā€™t really take into account the human aspect of attention span, risk vs reward feelings and sense of accomplishments while playing the game, and how each individual reacts to game walls. It is a tricky rope to walk on for them but they are professionals so I wouldnā€™t lose hope over this just yet.

2 Likes

I went with a friend this time and got 50 diamonds between us in 2 hrsā€¦ previous 2 trips got 0ā€¦ also only got 7 titanium :sleepy: grind is much too hard now

1 Like

Can i ask where did you try to mine? Same hemisphere as portal seekers hub? Half a planet away from them? On the other side of planet?

Hiya guys,

Some awesome feedback in here, hearing your experiences with numbers in particular is great!

Weā€™ve been looking at all the feedback on Bomb Mining so far, and weā€™ll be examining the game data at the end of this week to compare. Weā€™ll be using both your feedback and the game data to determine if/what needs to be adjusted.

Weā€™ve had a few productive conversations about it at the studio already while looking over the threads, but I wonā€™t divulge anything until we have a solid idea on the matter as a whole.

10 Likes