Mixing chiseling types

So got a little bit of a hiccup lately limiting my building potential. I am using precise chisels to get walls that are only half a block thick (using square chisels), but also wanted an entrance to my castle I’m building to use sloped walls so it look cool. But unfortunately it seems like you cannot mix chisel types (the sloped wall example would be square chisel+slope chisel) which is a shame if you ask me. I would like to propose adding an ability to mix chisel types on a single block so that you can build whatever you like.

I love this idea and second it if it can be done.

That said… it’s my understanding that there are some pretty intense technical limitations that would prevent this including the additional bits of data that would have to be sent to the client plus I think there are 3d models of each permutation of chiseling, so adding the ability to combine them would be an exponential increase of models that the client has to be aware of, and quite possibly that would have to be stored in memory which could be a huge problem for low end computers and consoles.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t believe this is geometrically possible based on the current chisel system’s implementation but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Unless I am misunderstanding your setup, you should be able to get 1/4 block slopes with the bevel chisel. There are some variations that don’t exist though.
I think a possible change could be to allow combining square and bevel chiseling to get the missing variations such as 1/4 block slopes that go in a different direction than the diagonal corner.
That might end up being too many chisel variations though.

Since slopes work differently (You’re more removing the corner of the block than 1/8 of it) I don’t think they could be combined.