Mobs too hard for beginners?

Does not seem like a troll to me, not knowing how world progression is set up.

6 Likes

Thanks, that seems pretty interesting, will try it out :slight_smile:

It’s just you.

Read back again. The monsters on Therka where annoyingly hard so I moved around and around and ended up on another planet. How am I supposed to know that there are starter planets? There sure are some planets where the games gives you a notification about strong mobs, but not on the one I moved, too.

You can’t expect every newb to know everything about the game and when they don’t and have basic questions, calling them a troll. Not everyone likes to watch 50 tutorial videos at youtube or twitch and spoil all the gameplay before even starting to play. Some people still like to find out things themselves and ask questions if they can’t.

2 Likes

If you don’t want to spend all your coin warping, find the nearest portal hub to get to another planet. There is a Portal Seekers Gateway on each planet that are connected to the capital city of each planet, so if you can get to Anoobis, the capital of septerfon and the yellow icon on your compass, then you can portal out.

2 Likes

Like havok did say it should be enough HP. Are you by chance using stone slingbow? If you have access to some shops consider buying few iron slingbows as those don’t need any skill mastery, are much better and costs just like 40-50 coins :slight_smile:
From now on your character sheet I would invest points to power (and dexterity) to faster tool use and better damage, but still it is best to play game own way and learning it that way. Not by having other players pointing directions and holding your hand thru whole journey :stuck_out_tongue:

It is good topic that some other beginners might be front and it gives good answers. So even if it would be troll (IMO not) it might help some. And it is right now really easy move to different planet without realizing that it is more dangerous zone.

1 Like

Also I noticed that you want to build independent of other communities and that is great. If you ever feel the need to preserve your isolation but also be able to get to other planets, shops or cities quickly, you can build a portal to connect to the portal seekers hub on your planet. If you don’t want people coming back though the portal to see you build you can put your end of the portal in a locked room.

2 Likes

Seems like:

• Players do not know about world difficulty in relation to their current level.
  • Players do not know about creature difficulty in relation to their current level.

Do we really need to use the generic level number on worlds and creatures to get this message across?
We use text and health bar colours to explain this at the moment but is this enough?

5 Likes

No, I wouldn’t suggest that I really like the names versus levels. If you want something easier to get the point across maybe a red scull and crossbones next to the health bar something indicating the mob WILL kill you and incoporate it in the tutorial.
Also, maybe a tutorial of hunting within the safety of the sanctum might really help before landing on a planet.
In the future assume harmful weather will affect how fast people travel to New planets? This might be a great indicator for when people should go to the next tier planet and be introduce to new creatures. So what’s is better wait for these core features to be implemented or divert your team’s efforts in finding a solution for the current game(I don’t know much about game development so that’s my uneducated opinion)

3 Likes

Well, I knew that there are different mob strengths just by the mob name, but in my oppinion it was pretty confusing with the different planet dificulties as some planets give you a warning about strong mobs and others don’t but still are (as seen) too difficult. I just took for granted what the GUI told me and as I warped to a planet that did not have that notification about strong creatures.

I think so. It’s been like that since the beginning of gaming and worked just fine. But I am just one voice and others (till now) didn’t seem to have problems like that, but on the other hand, others have been here since early versions and experienced the game growing instead of playing it in it’s full power (it has now) straight on.

The mob names are more helpful to me than the health bar.

Just a slight idea: (not a suggestion)
For faster strength recognition mobs could maybe have a icon next to their name / colored name based on your strength:
Green: Easy
Yellow/Orange: Maybe hard
Red: Get the hell out of here :wink:

4 Likes

This is a nice idea.

3 Likes

The ‘problem’ with colouring/numbering mobs is that every player isn’t the same.

How do you grade a mob of medium strength for two players, one who has put 5 points in health, weapon and strength, meanwhile that other player has no points there and just has points in building/crafting?

Perhaps all these skills need some hidden skill numbers adding to them. Then to be equal, perhaps mobs would also have these figures depending on the abilities they’ve spawned in with?

Is any of that vaguely plausible @luke-turbulenz?

The mobs on the starter planet shouldn’t of caused you any real trouble. The most annoying ones are the spitters but they’re not too difficult to deal with. The livestock could easily kill you but they don’t attack first, you would of had to of instigated the attack. I used to just carry some sand with me and when I wanted to hunt them I’d just find a group of them, create a stack under me so I’m 3-4 or more blocks up and then start shooting them.

1 Like

I remember when I started I was attacked by a spitter before I even had a slingbow or knew I needed one. The tutorial didn’t tell me I would need one or to make one. I tried fighting the spitter with a totem and an axe which didn’t seem to do any noticeable damage and it killed me in a couple of hits. It was rather frustrating. I had to go to the internet to find what I needed to do.

2 Likes

Good morning, @Pixelmonarch!

I know a lot of people have already shared responses, but I wanted to reassure you of some of your concerns regarding roles you can choose, or not choose to play in this game.

It is completely feasible to have a character build that doesn’t engage in combat. While you are just beginning the game and want to put all of your points into skills that are non-combative in nature actually slightly boosting your combat skills will greatly help you in other roles and afford you the opportunity to specialize as a merchant, crafter, miner, gatherer, etc.

One of the great things about Boundless is the interactions it affords players. One of my characters only crafts and runs a shop. Another one of mine is a gatherer and runs across different planets gathering resources…for my crafter! He often avoids fights, or if he gets engaged in combat, but it doesn’t look promising, he can outrun the enemy towards safety. Whatever path you choose for your character just know that it is possible to exist without engaging in frequent mob-combat.

With that said, like in many games some resources are only available from fighting mobs or going into areas with harsher terrain. You’ll find there are some resources only available on certain planets. If you choose to avoid combat you can still obtain these, but you’ll have to do it through other means: bartering, selling items to create coin income (coins can be obtained by other means, as well), or just the general generosity you will often find many of the Boundless playerbase often affords its members!

A few tips to make your life easier:

1. Always carry a weapon and always carry someway to restore your health (berries, cooked berries, cooked meat, etc.).

2. Invest in a little defense, particularly kinetic armor, if you plan to stay more on starter and lower level planets. With a minimal amount of points, you can almost completely eliminate any damage you might take from enemies on starter and easier planets. If you do venture out be sure to pay attention to the information that flashes on your screen as you pass into new worlds. It does tell you in red letters that a world might be too difficult for you!

3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! If you are going to go to a more difficult planet to search for resources reach out to people on Discord or the forums and you might find someone interested in going with you.

4. Don’t knock hunting until you put yourself in a position to completely try it. There are many stories on here of people who joined Boundless for the sandbox-build aspects, but once given hunting a shot it became an enjoyable part of the game for them! Not all encounters are mobs and you can often position yourself to be in 1 vs. 1 encounters were the odds are good you’ll survive. And, if you don’t, the penalties are minimal and you can pick up almost right where you left off.

Enjoy your journey…

-ATownDowner

4 Likes

Hello @Pixelmonarch and welcome to Boundless! I just started a new character last week in the starter planet Berlyn and, as you may imagine, I had to fight some mobs too.
So, the others have already said a lot of useful stuff, but I’ll tell you my own tips anyway:

• Create a rock slingbow, at least in the beggining,
  • Always keep your health full ( or try to maintain it in a good state )
  • And, if you want to, create some walls to protect yourself.

That’s the basics I think. In starter worlds, the animals rarely tend to attack the players. Sometimes, a nasty spitter comes and starts challenging you or, if you get close to the Wildstocks for too long, they’ll also attack you.

I don’t think you need to invest in health. At least not in the beggining. Or in damage protection. Do it only if you want to, if you think your progress will be better with more health. Instead of that, you could invest in the Shadow Effect skills, making animals ignore you. As you said,

And yes, you can choose you own path. If you want to invest 100% in making a builder/crafter, you can do that just fine. Although, keep in mind that you are buildind in the animals territory. So, even if you are a builder, you need to prepare your defenses and learn some basic stuff about hunting. At least enough to protect yourself.

Also, if you want the best materials, the high end of crafting stuff, you need to go to other planets. More dangerous planets. So, in the end, monsters will be a constant part of your gameplay, even if it is just a lvl 1 spitter making some noises close to your base.

I hope this looong post help you in some way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Keep in mind, this is just about fighting mobs. So no real dealbreaker :slight_smile:
The rest of the game is so fine and addicting :smiley:

I do

I have wasted about 30 - 40 SP on combat & health skills and still need three hits with a iron sling on a lvl 1 spitter. The threat isn’t real, it’s not dangerous after “buying” 7 skills to maintain the health, but still way to annoying and a waste of hard earned skillpoints I could have spend better.

I don’t have a problem with mobs in general, it’s just the balancing, which is in my oppinion, unbalanced.

It’s just way over the top, to force the player to spend SP and time and ressources to be able to defense against the weakest of all monsters. A standard mob (lvl 1 spitter) should be killable by a vanilla character, with a totem, before it kills you.

I know, it’s just “a few” SP and just a little time and just a few ressources, but it still is. If a vanilla character is defenseless, then it’s just wrong balancing.

I am more of a single player. I have my ideas and want to realize them the way I want to and not be speeded, delayed, altered by other people. I know this is a online game, and that’s fine, I can still trade with people or later on maybe hire some. I don’t see multiplayers as always playing in groups but as a place where I can interact with others if needed. :wink:

My problem over the last decade of gaming is, that groups tend to be elitary and forced. They get annoyed if you want to play alone for a few hours and go crying when you don’t get in Discord/TS.

So, if all, I play with one or two friends (which I am actually inviting if I decide to commit my gaming time to this game), but never in guilds or clans, I am to old for that, my nerves would explode haha :smiley:

I barely like any action. I am way to chill for that. And if I crave some killing, I just would start some shooter game.

I know it’s easy and fast EXP, but why would I play an open world building game ending up fighting if I could just play a RPG game if I am into 1v1 or XvX or PvE.

Combat might be a part of it, but I choose not to.

Yeah, that’s what I meant earlier :smiley:

Thank you for your long answer btw :slight_smile:

TL;DR:
Even knowing all the stuff you guys told me, I still think the LVL 1 Spitter is too strong. If you can’t kill the weakest monster with what you have out of the box before it kills you, then the balancing is, in my oppinion, broken.

1 Like

i have found that with 3 points in the shadowing skill will make mobs pretty much leave you alone unless you get right up on them.

3 Likes

Run. Jump. Hide. Strafe and Fire. And run again. Die (you don’t loose gear exactly just durability). Hit foliage to get starberry drop and eat for health. Then run again …and repeat. You’ve got to have a will to survive!

1 Like

Have you even read a single post in this thread?

All of it. You’ve got to be creative and agile (mentally and physically). If you’re too weak to fight atm - don’t. If you want to build a settlement on your own you’re going to have to skill some points into combat in order to survive. If you get advice to move back to a starter planet (again temporarily) do it. Game = not a Nursery.