More cleanse points while in pre-1.0

I for one believe as there’s many different type of players, there’s players willing to try out different things.

The only problem I see with the current cleanse system is the hard cap on cleanse points you can hold at a time, I see that you can only hold 3 cleanse points at a time (Sorry if I’m wrong), I believe as long as we remove the hard cap on cleanse points we should be able to solve the issue. Making players that are level 30, hold way more than the 30 cleanse points they have.

Additional to that, we could make it so, certain skills cost lest cleanse points to forget, say a skill with a base cost of 5 will take 0.5 cleanse points and a skill with a base cost of 10 will take 1 cleanse point. It will make it so testing skills will be easier while still keeping a challenge.

As important as it is to test things in the macro aspect of the game (how you progress as a whole, how it feels and how much time investment do you need to make, there’s not that many players detailed and focused enough to record their experiences fully and be able to conceptualize and transmit their experiences fully), while in the micro aspect (every task and specialization) we can much simply provide opinions and ideas for each individual thing. We’ll certainly fail to balance out the game as a whole this way, but we’ll offer reviews and ideas for many more skills that have certainly not been tested out.

True that doing this, we’ll divide players between doing things as a whole and specializing on something. But so far it’s been working just fine. We have people like @Jiivita focusing on each individual piece of content, @Arkefyre on jump mechanics, @Spoygg on beacon interaction, @Boundless-tester on progression as a whole. I say we’re losing something by making cleanse points easier (balance and general sense of the game as a whole) but we’re gaining information on the plethora of skills we currently hold.

A different version of the game seems like a good idea, but how hard and time consuming will it truly be? Having more characters and eliminating the hard cap on cleanse points should be enough in my opinion. I trust this community to do good with it.

6 Likes

Don’t you have everything unlocked, @SWProzee1?

2 Likes

Nope, but what I have unlocked I test and report back if things seem unbalanced.

2 Likes

After some thinking I have some new conclusions:

I’m not sure why current cleanse point system is limiting points to 3? If I earn them with leveling, I want to keep them until I need them. I understand that it’s not meant to allow you to pile up 30 cleanse points and redo all your character but on the other hand I think 3 is pretty low limit. Maybe 5 would be better. (this is comment that also applies to 1.0)

Now for pre 1.0, with all said in this thread, I change my mind to not having unlimited cleanse points, but to have weekly cleanse point bonus. Something like 10 additional cleanse points every week. For all intents and purposes as it is now, I think there is not much difference in builds for let’s say miner and builder, there are only few skills that would benefit greatly one or the other.

And one more reason to allow this kind of fiddling with builds would be whenever new skills are added, players that have already built their skills and used all cleanse points would not have a chance to try those new skills :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re wanting feedback on two things around this system at the moment, one is how it is to level up, craft your character and play the game in representative way, and the other is testing all the skills and combinations.

The first one requires limited re-speccing, whilst the second on is easier with more allowable re-speccing. So we find ourselves with competing desires. Given that, we won’t be offering unlimited or even very frequent re-specs, but we will be allowing you to fully re-spec, and to do so more freely that we intend for 1.0.

I am confident in the cleanse point system for 1.0. We can debate whether the cap should be 3 or 5, but the system (imo) works as is, and I’d rather not mess with it too much. There are two extra features that will be added at some point which will affect this:

1. Multiple Characters
  2. Full re-speccing

The first is in progress at the moment, but it’s quite a job, and so it 's not imminent. We’ll keep you updated on how that’s progressing. The second is still up in the air, as we’re still to decide whether to implement a system which is close to what we want for 1.0, or whether to bodge it. We will definitely allow you to fully respec in the next couple of major releases though. Possibly by just wiping all the skills that you have and refunding you all the points, or by implementing a button to click.

5 Likes

@olliepurkiss Yeah, totally understandable :slight_smile: In the end it comes down to what you guys think gives you most valuable feedback. It’s a tricky idea to ponder :smiley: Not an easy job. Anyway, thanks for info and we’ll be waiting for those to come.

1 Like