My Line on the cash shop, what is yours?

I almost quit Boundless this week. I was so angry initially. “I did not sign up for a micro-transaction game! This happens to games when they stop selling copies, at the end of their life cycle… before they die!”…I calmed down and took a rational look at it.

I have since thought about it and decided I can live with the Exchange cash shop in it’s current state. The ability to buy more plots with real money is absolutely an advantage in a sandbox building game, that has been established. But it is an advantage I can live with.

Some other things I could live with being able to purchase with real money:
-Cosmetic character model items
-XP boosts
-The ability to purchase a Guild or Tribe
-Pets
-Unique Mounts/Vehicles (as long as equal stat mounts and vehicles are available to earn)
-Gleam Club (Forever fueled beacons)
-Beacon cosmetics (on the beacon itself)
-Tax reduction
-Fireworks/emotes/dances

I’ll draw my line at these things that I would NOT be ok purchasing with real money:
-Coin
-Unique blocks (including colors, dyes, lights, effects)
-Planet access or Premium Planets
-Unique Tools (unless cosmetic only)
-Portals/Oortstone
-Skill/stat points
-Weapons/Tools/augments with better stats

-In detail, Coin, that’s an automatic eff you to the community.
-Unique blocks, If i have the ABILITY to build a big pokemon, i should be able to earn all the colors/blocks needed. Not; I need these blocks to finish my artwork… i have the skill and ability to farm them, i just cannot afford to pay for them, hence i cannot build that. In addition, things like only being able to buy red gleam, or flashing signs, or lighting… not ok. if its a building material, it should be able to be earned.
-Planet access, or premium planets… that would be another obvious eff you to the community
-Unique Tools, like a drill, or chainsaw with their own stats. Now if it just cosmetically turned all your axes into chainsaws, but they retained the same stats as the axes, that is whatever. Or turned your hammers into drills with same stats… that is a cosmetic.
-Portals/Oortstone Ya, this is a never Ever EVER. Keeping your portals alive is about the only thing that challenges players and large groups. Some ppl got too big for their britches and had to scale back portals. Also a dead portal showed who was and wasn’t active. Don’t do this… NEVER Ever ever
-Skill/Stat points… doesnt even need to be discussed…
-Weapons/Tools/Augments with increased stats. This would be like that Drill… but it actually is a drill that hits twice as fast as any hammer. Only way to get it is thru Cash

I like the game, and anything that comes from the top list or the like, I welcome it, and hope the devs make a lot of money from the game and those things.

Anything from the bottom list is where I’ll draw my line. If those things happen, then I’ll say farewell and still hope the devs make a lot of money, but i will be disappointed that they ruined a great game, and we’ll go our separate ways. It wont matter that much, I’m not a big member of the community. I build modestly. And noone would miss me. But if anything from that bottom list happens, I wont be the only one leaving

So what are some things you are ok with? and where do you draw your line?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cash shop? wait what?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cash shop? wait what?

Its a very important issue to me. And I am asking where other ppl draw their line. I need a place where the discussion has not gone off the rails and into the lake… So i disagree.

1 Like