My water features now look Bad!

I think you guys using refined gleam in the features should switch it for raw gleam instead

2 Likes

Maybe now you have to place a layer of plain glass blocks on the backside of the water
to get an opaque effect. The glass blocks need to have the same color as the water
or slightly darker to achieve the right effect. Just play around with it :boundless:

3 Likes

This is counter to my intent. People will have mixed feelings on it but the game is presentational and Iā€™d rather not build thinking Iā€™ve created a certain effect and the you just turn it off and see all the infrastructure behind it anyways.

In the case of the pools the refined gleam is actually there to serve a different purpose under:

Segmenting the top into pools and decorating them with fountains and water features was an idea driven by how much I liked the shiny water lol.

Again just to clarify Iā€™m not really having a major breakdown or trying to say the game is ruined. Iā€™m just noting that the changes have a major impact on several areas of my build and I have mixed feelings about it.

Iā€™m not sure if they can fix the water/block interface that does cause a ton of complaints without going this route, and I know that only a minority of builders work extensively with the water instead of working around it, if that makes sense.

In terms of surface reflectivity Iā€™ve never been bothered by it. This actually makes the field of view more cluttered IMO and Iā€™m not sure if anyone who felt strongly about that will weigh in.

Iā€™ve posted a bunch in this thread but if someone else hadnā€™t started a conversation on the topic, Iā€™m not sure if I would have posted at all as I feel like thereā€™s a ton of complaining here lately thatā€™s gotten very entitled and demanding.

Unlike fixing the lighting effects which caused a ton of uproar, I think that this is going to be a very minor issue for most people.

2 Likes

I think the winning factor is that itā€™s more realistic now. I was bummed initially that my fountain water was as blue as gatorade. Would never have complained about it, but I lean towards realism over cartoonishness. Luckily I donā€™t have anything really hidden with water so I canā€™t even disagree with you. I think youā€™ll be able to figure out a technique to make it work though.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with Dutch I think. Itā€™s kind of a low stakes game for me personally because I only have one flat pool of water in my build, but othersā€™ water builds would generally look bad to me because of how the pools were too opaque but also colored due to atmosphere(?) I think the change works out better overall, even though I hate for peeps to have to rework things

1 Like

I kinda like the way it is nowā€¦ Shallow water behaves how you would expect, you can see through it more clearly.
Someone obviously cleans this fountainā€¦

(although I would love for some spray/foam effects for when ā€œfallingā€ water lands on something!)

Deeper water also looks pretty good, with the deeper the pool having less and less visibility

13 Likes

I Personally like water to be at least somewhat Transparent. around the 50% Opacity area.

This came up in a discord discussion as well. For me thatā€™s not going to happen, Iā€™ll just move on to a different area/style if it stays like this, for 2 reasons.

• IMO (obviously not everyoneā€™s) the water on these lush worlds was a beautiful, bright blue. Now itā€™s a languid, stale sort of blue that I wouldnā€™t feature in my building.

• These parts of my build in particular were made to take advantage of the features of the boundless engine, working with the environment as presented. I have no desire to go to tremendous effort to try and recreate the effect artificially as that would be showcasing something entirely different.

So as noted from me these posts are more reflecting a bit of sadness at the passing of a particular era. I do think weā€™ll see less people working with water now it will be more of a farming tool than a building block.

Cā€™est la vie - Iā€™m definitely hearing that many people think this is a lot better. The coming days will tell. It surely takes a good week or so for most players to get in and feel the effects of a major change like this.

Thereā€™s tons of awesome in this update Iā€™ll soon be distracted.

Is there a way to have two transparency settings types of water, or does it all have to be the same? I think something a bit more realistic might be something like this:

• Still water = extremely transparent
  • Running water = more opaque (less transparent)

There are currently 3 levels of opacity correct? 1 block deep, 2 blocks, then 3 and everything underneath/behind? Is it possible to add more to the progressive opacity?

I must say that I do agree that it certainly looks good in these picturesā€¦ kind of inviting to jump into that poolā€¦ unfortunately I think that means @James and team MUST ABSOLUTELY AS FAST AS POSSIBLE give us Fish, underwater seaweed and other assets as well as snorkels, air tanks, and things so that we can explore the water correctlyā€¦

7 Likes

another case I think looks soo much better now with non-reflection-height water not having to have such high opacity (The only reason water away from reflection height was so comparitively opaque before was to hide the horrific artifacts caused by trying to render water without any kind of z-sorting in old transparency)

8 Likes

Nice to see you can still get some color in it. I might go ahead and play with some fountain designs.

2 Likes

I like it now :sunglasses:

Always wanted to have more transparency to show off whats under/behind water: be it mosaic at the bottom of a pool or some other decorative arrangement behind a waterfall etc. And I couldnā€™t get it before.

1 Like

Use a lattice chiselā€¦ make little nuggets.

Iā€™m not really happy with new water look so
Can we have a thing so that we can adjust transparency of water like we can do with lighting

2 Likes

Sorry man that must be ā– ā– ā– ā– 

With every change, especially aesthetic ones, some people will be displeased. I donā€™t think thereā€™s much avoiding that.

Iā€™m glad water is now more transparent, and Iā€™m glad it interacts with glass properly these days. Underwater builds and aquariums are now a viable option. That said, I do think you went a touch too far with the transparency @james, as the water now feels somewhat weightless - like mist.

I really appreciate the change regardless, but a little fine tuning is perhaps in order?

More transparent than before, but less than it is now. Just my opinion!

Well I check out my water features. And I think it looks way better now.

9 Likes

The fountain in the pond looks a little weird but yeah the rest of those are fine @georgegroeg

The main part that I will miss is using it as shining, ā€˜movingā€™ walls. But I guess, especially where it canā€™t really merge with a block like glass, thatā€™s the part that a lot of people didnā€™t like lol.