Name of my little slice of the world

I understand that prestige plays a big part when it comes to names and who controls the name, etc…

However, why exactly would the game change the name of a group of plots to someone else’s name?

OK, let me set the stage as it were… I create a set of small buildings, call that group a name, setup a shop, create a portal to that shop and have the Portal Seekers guild name the sign above the portal to that name.

Next time I log in, I am rewarded with a new name of a neighboring settlement. It still shows my little village’s name as the primary name at the top of the screen, but the name you are welcomed with upon arriving from that portal is no longer the name of that destination.

Doesn’t this make the work of portal guilds that much harder to keep up with the changing names of the places portals go to?

A IRL example might be when you live in a town that is part of a larger city, your mailing address doesn’t change to the name of that larger city, it’s still that town’s.

Have the devs described their rational for the way names are dealt with in the game?

It changes the name of the group, as they are the majority holder. It does not change your settlements name.

Edit: “A IRL example might be when you live in a town that is part of a larger city, your mailing address doesn’t change to the name of that larger city, it’s still that town’s.”

You don’t need too, the name in real life is still the majority holder. The STATE owns all of that land…So there for all of this land will be known as Florida. Every small town inside can keep their names…

Sounds a lot like the system we have now… or do you want to go larger… All of these states belong to the U.S so therefor anyone who comes to this land will forever be known to be in… The U.S

1 Like

That’s true when it comes to the text at the top of the games screen. However, when arriving via a portal, the name presented to the player is no longer the name that was there when the portal was first setup. Plus, it’s not something I would want to have above the portal I am maintaining.

So in order to keep the name I originally setup, I have to start building with blogs that have a large prestige value and make what was a small little village into a major city that looks really gaudy? Not to mention the amount of time it would take to create all the blocks necessary to increase the prestige of my plots.

In my IRL example, there is a small town in my state of Missouri called Defiance, it’s not connected to any major cities yet. Say in 20 years, St. Louis grows and is now surrounding Defiance. The name Defiance doesn’t change just because it’s now part of St. Louis. It’s still Defiance. Don’t bring the state or the country into this. States will probably never change at this point in time and clearly the country isn’t like to change.

They are the exact same systems… If I send you a letter… I would write… 555 (House Number) Your Street Name, the small city name, then the large “City” it is part of, state.

This translates too, I am looking for vesper who lives in the nation (hub) of the United States, he lives in Florida (Big City name) who is in the small area of (your town). The street number, would be then used to directly locate the residence once close… Same system.

When you come to the U.S from another country the first thing you see is the Flag. This says, hey I am now in the United States. Not, hey now I am in (Insert city name)

(Earth)=(Shedu) (U.S)=(Ultima Hub) (State)=(Majority perstiege of area) (City)=(your local plots).

When I send a letter, I do this:
555 W. Flagler St., Coral Gables, FL 33134
I don’t use:
555 W. Flagler St., Coral Gables, Miami, FL 33134
or heaven forbid a larger town next to Coral Gables that isn’t as large as Miami.
I could get away with:
555 W. Flagler St. Miami, FL 33134
because of the zip code

However as a resident of Coral Gables (I am not, I’m just using this as an example), I don’t change the name of where I live to Miami the minute that Miami grew to encompass Coral Gables.

You’re arguing the exception, not the rule.

I’m not trying to be difficult here. I’m new to the game. I’m trying to understand.

So, based on what I am understanding here, in order to use the name I want to use, I need to uproot my build, find a new location somewhere and start a new settlement someplace else?

mmmm or create a ringed area around, separate from your build… that prevents high prestige people from actually connecting you your base. ([])

So how do I create a ringed area round my base without using plots that once the neighbor connects to becomes a combined settlement?

make another plot beacon, that wraps around your actual plots with a 1 plot gap. That way all they can do is connect to your outer non connected ring. This leaves your base untouchable, unless they take that 1 plotted section around yours… and just mass flooded it with gleam to be a ■■■■.

I think that would violate the CoC XD so I think that ring method is actually brilliant
Edit* I should of made it a little clearer. Going past the ring, being in between your base and barricade. Plotting and filling it with blocks would violate the CoC.

Yeah I gotcha, but it should work… as they have to directly connect their huge base to yours… if you have a 1 ring barrier. They can only connect to that 1 ring. Not your actual base.

Right on, I actually might make this my plans for later tonight. Thanks for the idea. cheers!

np, have a good day.

1 Like

I see, so you are asking me to spend maybe a hundred plots just to protect my build from being overtaken by someone with more prestige than myself. Plus, I would think like @RedDemption wondered, it would be against the CoC that the developers have setup.

It’s fine. I’m in the process of knocking down all my build and moving to a new location somewhere.

However, if this happens again without at least contacting me, I’m going to have to really rethink my putting time into this game. I had my concerns with a multi-player game like this. I thought that with the size of each planet, it would be difficult to have a problem like this. I guess I was wrong.

1 Like

I will never be able to understand why the name of a settlement is such a deal breaker for some people.

No no no I’m sorry for this confusion. I was referring to if you had this barricade up then a one plot gap then your build it would be against CoC if someone else came and plotted the gap in between your wall and build.

Yea I’m sorta on the fence it wouldn’t bother me so much to be absorbed into someone else’s stuff but at the same time, if you are mostly a builder and you really like what you build its like a makers mark or signature. So when someone else comes along and it now has their settlement name it kinda takes something away from the sentimental value.

1 Like

It still shows your beacon’s name at the top so you still have control over what your build is named.

Yes but not what pops up on screen when you get close to the build. Whoever has more prestige has that control.
For example you could have lets say “loonytoonville” so when you visit it says you have entered loonytoonville. But if someone else comes along plots gets more prestige they can then change it to lets say “gates of Hades” so then when you are getting close there is a rabbit statue and whatnot and instead it says welcome to gates of Hades lol not very fitting.