Need everybody's vote on potential content

Which would you rather see implemented?

• A few objectives that can only be completed with at least one other player.
  • Absolutely NO objectives that I can’t do by myself.

0 voters

13 Likes

Cmon everybody, we need everybodies vote. :grin:

1 Like

I still think group content should be balanced for groups, not restricted to groups;)

9 Likes

Really cook? You’re gonna descend to this?

We already know we won’t be able to do Titans alone.

Edit: I see in the other thread that you’re in favor of making it much harder for 1-2 players. I’m all for that, but implementing arbitrary cheese mechanics that are basically just “Because we say you can’t” is just… cheesy.

1 Like

I’m sorry but I fail to understand your frustration. I simply wanted to get everybodies view without having to dig into this with many lengthy explanations and frustrations. This is by no means a dig on you or anybody else which I sincerely hope youre not taking as such. I mean no disrespect here. I’m just trying to understand everybodies thoughts through a simple vote.

4 Likes

Exactly what cook said, I sincerely don’t get what’s so wrong about asking a question.

Majority is not always right, and will never be. But let’s not rule out majority thoughts just because of it. At the end of the day, I’m sure devs will still decide on what makes the better game, and having some statistics about players opinions is not the end all be all resource, but it certainly does help

4 Likes

Now you have me all worried. Is voting something that you guys don’t like? I really want to understand the offense here so that I don’t make the same mistake again.

I like the vote to see opinions but I feel it’s sort of misleading considering we can have group content that is hard but doable solo. But it never hurts to do a poll!

2 Likes

All this information helps the developers. It’s helpful for them to know what the community as a whole think of group content (even if the sample size is rather small right now)

I do have mixed thoughts on this though. On one hand this game boasts a fantastic community; working together is what the Boundless players seem to do best, and having obstacles that’ll require teamwork is right up my alley - and fitting with what I perceive Boundless to be all about.

On the other hand, this is a relaxing game for creative individuals to build whatever they can imagine; without Bounds. If you lock certain blocks behind group content, you’re basically stifling the creativity of those solo players.

I’d suggest locking group content behind grouping. For example; you should receive things from Titans that help with future Titans.

Solo players won’t mind missing out on group related rewards.

8 Likes

I agree with @Smooth-Slick here. Polls are tough because even the slightest change in wording entirely changes the meaning of the question.

For example, one objective currently on the test server that you’d think couldn’t be done by yourself is trading. You need two characters to trade after all. But what if you have two accounts and you’re logged into both at once? Suddenly it’s an objective you can complete by yourself. I liked your idea, @Cookviper, with the blocks that take multiple folks to break but this is a tricky area and I’m somewhat undecided on it.

Also let’s keep in mind, everyone, that there’s a difference between OBJECTIVES that can only be completed with others and COMBAT CONTENT that can only be completed with others. Discussions about how difficult titans and the like should be have taken place many times over the years and digging into the archives might be useful if you want to reignite something there.

3 Likes

One important note to mention is that solo players should then have alternative methods to acquire similar gear/items.

For example, let’s say titans drop a lance that does +10 elemental damage and the devs make the best possible crafted lance a +2? You better bet there’ll be an uproar. Even if it’s MUCH MORE difficult, a +10 version should be available with crafting.

1 Like

But a lance isn’t a group related reward. That would be an item meant for a single player.

Then what would be a group related reward? The only thing I can think of is like a scroll or something that boosts some stat for all players in an X meter radius by Y.

Maybe it’ll be something like what you said except it’ll only work in a large community so when your in a certain town you get a temporary stat buff, kind of how Minecraft did it with the pyramid beacon booster.

I would think group objectives would be something that any developed game with a nice playerbase, would by itself limit and make something seem or be impossible by all means for a solo player, so they would by default be set up as group objectives.

These are the examples I can think off the top of my head.

• Trading
  • Building a Capital city or major city
  • Guilds
  • If there’s ever a raid or event in Boundless, well no way you can do it solo
  • Group battles

Thinks that by default or by the mere activity happening, can’t be done solo, as they require a group of people just to happen.

Also for things being obtained by a group of people, don’t forget we have player trading and markets, any item you wouldn’t be able to obtain since you’re not in a group, you could for instance buy or trade for.

I think rewards that require a group to be accomplished should be related to the activity performed to accomplish it, for example if you mine with others maybe get a tool that increases speed of group mining, or if a group defeats a titan they should get armor or weapons that help in future titan fights and not maybe, the best hammer in the game because it wouldn’t make sense. And if a player prefers playing alone he/she shouldn’t miss out on the best items that relate to the activities of playing alone.
If you are never going to take on a titan you wont miss the items that make it easier to do so and the same for trading and other activities. Hope Im clear enough xD im not great at explaining my thoughts in English.

2 Likes

I have to say, after all of the discussions that were had I’m surprised that the majority of voters want forced co-op objectives compared to solo capable but improbable without a team. And I’m definitely not putting anybody down for their vote because either way I’m gonna have a blast playing boundless no matter what they implement.

2 Likes

The problem with a vote like this is multi-faceted.

1: You phrased it in such a way that it looks like “More content” versus “less content”. Whether you did this consciously or subconsciously doesn’t matter, you’re biased, and it comes through very plainly here.
2: Where’s the third option? “Objectives that are more manageable in groups, but still doable solo even if absurdly difficult.” You know perfectly well this is what the solo players wanted in the other thread.

It’s not like we don’t want multi player-oriented objectives, we just don’t want to be cheese-locked out of them by fake difficulty like “you must hit two switches in different locations simultaneously” or “you have to have three hands”. In reality, I’d rig up mechanism to trip the other switch, or more basically, rig up pulleys and pull it by cord. Similarly with heavy blocks, I lash together a couple branches, lever the block onto my new sled, and then proceed to drag it where I needed it (or if worst comes to worst rig a couple of branches with a rope slung between them and repeatedly reset them to lever the block along if it’s incredibly heavy).

There’s no such thing as something you can do IRL with multiple people that you can’t do with a single person with more effort, perseverance and creativity, aside from socializing with other people. Beyond that, it’s irritating to intentionally “bound” the individual players in a game called boundless.

1 Like

Of course more people are going to vote that way when you phrased it as “more content” versus “less content”.

This vote is meaningless.

Where exactly did I label it as MORE content? And why are you so angry about this? Did I cut you off in traffic and not know about it? I’m loving your passion you have towards this game though. It’s people like you that will help make it the best game it can be. I’m trying as well. We just need to figure these things out to give the devs any little bit of help we can offer.

2 Likes