New Chisels

While I welcome the ability to make new shapes with the new chisels. I am a little disappointed in the downgrading of the copper chisels. To replicate what the copper chisel used to do (not add new functionality) you now need the following resources:

20 gold ore
60 soft coal or its equivalent
40 copper ore
5 fossils
2 pieces of timber
a spark core and enough fuel to create 3960 units of spark

To create a copper chisel you need:

2 timber
2 copper ore
2 soft coal
1 fossil

This is a fairly drastic increase in time and materials to have the same functionality. Will the chisel last a great deal longer than the copper one did? Maybe 20-40 times longer based on the amount of materials required?

Gold is certainly not common enough for me to burn through one a day working on my build. I know my builds are not going to be as interesting.

I do want to add that I like the fact that I can chisel a decorative block.

The ring worlds are loaded with the materials you need and can get fairly fast if you find the right locations. However I do agree the higher tier tools need to last a little bit longer.

Gold tools cost a lot less to craft when mass crafting. This is designed for the MMO part of the game - where trading is beneficial. Gold chisels are 620 coin right now, way cheaper than the mats to craft it yourself (unless you have good crafting skills of course).

EDIT: Not trying to counteract your problem here. Just pointing out the intended encouragement to trade for these.

3 Likes

Maybe not longer. I’d just preffer crafting cost to be reduced. Why do we have to first make titanium ingots, then titanium alloys, then compact titanium and refine it in order to create a tool?
Why can’t we just craft a tool from titanium alloys?

I will be honest with you. Today, was the first time i crafted titanium tool. A chisel. During over 650h i never crafted a titanium tool because the cost is just ridiculous and even if complicated crafting process seems fun in fact it’s not. What’s more it’s no fun because you have to mass craft titanium slabs, compact titanium and then mass craft refined titanium to make the crafting process efficient.

4 Likes

I suggested somewhere or maybe it was only in conversation with someone that it would be nice to either reduce this ridiculous crafting process for silver gold and titanium tools or create two kind of tools: ones we hv now and easier ones without compacting and such.

Theres a double jump in production difficulty between iron and silver and higher tier tools. First thing is that silver gold and titanium are more rare. Silver not as much but with the other two mining enough for production is way more time consuming. Next thing is that there’s a massive jump in crafting costs as there are more steps in the process and on top of using silver gold and titanium there’s also the need to still use copper and iron. Amount of coal involved goes up and up. And then you need spark as well. I never quite understood why such huge leap in costs.

4 Likes

Mats per tool currently (trunk/main ore/supporting ore/small fossils/small coal):

Titanium is actually cheaper to make in terms of coal and supporting ores. To make one titanium tool you need to mine:
1.5 titanium blocks
6 medium coal blocks
3 silver blocks
3 iron blocks
0.5 tree blocks
0.67 fossil blocks

At 4 hits per block that is 14.67 blocks in total or 60 hits. Not considering travel time, it takes just less than a minute to actually farm the mats.

Current balance: 1 titanium tool costs about 900 coin in resources to produce and ends up mining 18000+ coin in resources or gathering 4000+ coin in soils/woods.

• What would you feel is a fair cost for them?
  • How long should they take to craft?
  • What do you feel trade should be required for? And crafting? And gathering?
5 Likes

I have mined a lot on Vulpto and have not come upon enough gold, silver or rubies to make a tool every day. I also have mined a lot on Epsilo and have not hit gold. I might get 9 topaz in a day but I rarely hit gold even though the charts say there is more gold than topaz there. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but I am not finding the gold that is supposed to be out there.

I can understand where a tool used to gather resources can have a good payout based on its cost in materials versus what it can gather before breaking. But for a tool used to shape blocks, there is no payback. You can make a more interesting shape, but you cannot use a chisel to make coin or gather resources to make another chisel. Maybe these types of tools should be easier to craft. You already need the higher skills so I would definitely support less material cost for chisels.

I am ok with the material costs for hammers, and slingbows since they can be used to gather resources sufficient to generate a profit or at least a payback for the materials required.

1 Like

Is that assuming mass craft of everything?

I think the intention is, to make fine grade chiseling into a plausible profession … so someone who specializes in chiseling can actually hire themselves out for coin/materials etc.

Also, are you sure you need a gold chisel? The silver one is the precise slope chisel…

1 Like

in Vulpto mine there’s plenty Gold. It’s the Rubies that i cant find :confused: :sob:

1 Like

Gold and topaz should be at quite different altitudes, no? At least if I’m remembering things correctly – topaz in the mountains at like 110, gold way down near lava?

1 Like

Also considering that this tool will have to be used a lot more as you test out shapes and refine the design it shouldn’t disappear so fast.

How many times will we need to remove and replace and block and reshape it until we find something we like… especially with all the new types of cuts you can make. During all of this the chisel will be used a lot.

Not too keen on the new chisel idea.

But it is what it is…

I was mistaken, you are correct you need silver to mimic the old copper, but it still requires a lot of resources. I am not finding silver any more than I am gold.

You are probably right. I know I saw a chart at one time that had this information, I will have to try and find it again.

Yes, that assumes max crafting and gathering skills (which is fair to expect for the most complex items in the game).

1 Like

I’m not sure about that accuracy as I’v found gold near some copper in the floating mountains in munteen. No pics to support though soz >.<

Well, think about us merchants. We need to get something out of our mass craft skill. From my side i feel the crafting is not too unbalanced, maybe a little but not that much. If tools are too easy to make, merchants like me and Omni wouldn’t be able to sell them.
In the end i would just say, come sell me your silver gold and titanium and buy the tools you need. I buy silver 17 each and titanium 50 each and i sell my silver tools about 400 and titanium tools about 1500, so selling 25 silver ores for a silver tools or 30 titanium ore for a titanium tool doesn’t seem that much to me.

1 Like

Haha, I’m not disputing the values at all – and yes, I buy nearly all of my tools because I don’t much like mining. I’m glad silver/gold/titanium have a unique use now, instead of just feeling like gems’ wimpy little siblings.

@OmniUno I’d assumed that was the case but got thrown by the “it takes a minute to farm one tool”.

I do tend to overexaggerate. It takes a minute of hitting with the hammer - it takes longer to actually find the stuff to hit of course. But that time is highly subjective since I tend to hit everything I see and get distracted by all kinds of stuff… O look, a fossil!

1 Like