New ExoPlanet Multi-Dimensional Type

I just wanted to up the anty on the ExoPlanet design into a more multi-dimensional type feel… @james can we look at something like this:

I’m sure it would be very popular! :slight_smile:

I could see planets with rain of lava and other dangerous things… but then I’d also massively expect planets where it rains flowers and stuff like that… geez even Tallow! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The idea of liquid iron rain is fascinating to me.

2 Likes

We have thought in the past about creating worlds and exoworlds that are made from “non-conventional materials” (shout out to any project runway watchers here! Ahem.)

Why not metal worlds, concrete worlds, etc.
Why not more adventurous weather…?

But the question always comes back to what effect it has on the other systems in the game? Players could then gather these materials at an extremely elevated rate.

10 Likes

Well good to know you all had considered it (even though that is expected since even things like Boundless in space was being considered). You all are on top of things… I cannot see how you should have any space to put anything down with sticky notes everywhere of ideas and things to do!

Hopefully some people can post some ideas on how to solve that conundrum and provide an appropriate balance across the various systems so that these worlds could come into existence. Otherwise, I would obviously, noodle on it (like I still am for mine-able Oort, Blueprints, etc.) and pitch any ideas when things are balanced or easier wins.

Thank you for responding so fast!

These are probably bad ideas, but:

1. A player can only visit this extremely rare exo once
  2. -or- It costs A LOT more coin for each subsequent visit the player makes to the planet (after a few visits, the cost would outweigh the value of any resources that were harvested)
  3. -or- These planets go Supernova in 24 hours. Their atmosphere goes up a notch every hour or two until it’s gone.
6 Likes

Turn off the ability to use regen bombs on these special exos. And sure, having an abundant source of rarer blocks might disrupt the in game economy but it will eventually balance back out, especially if most of the blocks are used to build with instead of being sold.

1 Like

I’d lean to the more small amount of visits over the coin… so that most people can go instead of the wealthy. I like the supernova idea for all types of planets lol.

Definitely like @Vurtadelic mentions, no regen in any form or fashion.

Right now my view is that the toxic nature of the planet really actually only lets you stay on it for a set amount of time. So it is more how much can you do before you have to leave or your character become incapacitated. This way it is more of a balance in “time/action” versus just the resource stuff. Also you could actually make it so “buffs/forge” and stuff doesn’t work. So it is based on base character skill and nothing else.

2 Likes

What if the special item(s) show up as embedded resources and therefore can’t be regen bombed?

1 Like

if the regen is turned off we’ll see the thing that happened when the first resin planets went live (wasn’t pretty)

my suggestions:
-only use materials that naturally occur in more that 3x3x3 blobs ( a sufficiently determined person can make that pretty much infinite) or materials that are easily craftable (cobblestone for example)
-place special materials (glass, compact coal, amber…or other stuff that can’t be used in an atlas and that can’t be regened) as ores (4-6 block blobs underground)
-make the planet a special tier: not too dangerous (t3-t4), but very tough in terms of block HP (t8-t9) ( so it would take a lot of tools or time to get obscene amounts of stuff)
-use bedrock as obstacles generated as random walls, blobs all around the place
-to prevent afk farming, make an ‘anomaly’ that bumps the player to a different location every 5-10 minutes

2 Likes

I would add:

1. Make them high tier like 7 or 8
    Edit:

2. Make them smaller than current exos.

3 Likes

Add armor to the blocks that makes it impractical to gather in large quantities
Edit: I see now that this was already suggested, lol

1 Like

Maybe add a ‘radiation’ debuff to the game. It adds up while on the special planets. Once it is full you can no longer be on the planet, then it takes hours to days to clear the debuff .

2 Likes

This is probably the most fair option. I would also add that you can visit this type of exoplanet for example: 2 gameplay hours. After this period you’ve obtained a 48hr debuff. You have contracted an Exo-Virus, you’ve spread it to your alts and you’re prevented from visiting this planet until it wears off.

1 Like

small like…

3 Likes

That’s way too big! :angry:
We need to go smaller!

Weather is already a nuisance even on regular planets plus those of us with sight issues already find it difficult as is on umbris and the darker planets as well.

I mean I like the concepts here but please the fog,the snow,the rain already effect gameplay ability. The rest Im totally cool with the idea.

Small like: https://youtu.be/9EFfwkhj84M ?
Also, this is another gorgeous game.

Looks ok to me :crazy_face:

Also maybe add them as surface resources?

Like you randomly find chunks of concrete, metal blocks or things like that while mining.

Edit or in a similar quantity as sponge and cake (growth) some times we get nice patches or sponge trees and some times we get singles :laughing:

1 Like

What about small decayed structures? Like the stone hendge rock formations we get but a little bigger scale? Not sure how much effort that would be but I think exos are perfect for the lost civilisation look

1 Like