New giant portal hub + Shop Plots (new)

now its time to join networks together and join up
keep portals numbers down

During my first exploration I was surprised at the amount of portals everywhere that lead to the same place. Some of them were literally the next building over. This was great in some ways but now that I understand how costly it is to keep a portal open I am not surprised that the whole system will break down… This means unless you live by a major town or are on Solum you will be barely interacting with people because you are isolated on your own. Of course I enjoy the natural landscape and don’t want it ruined by unfinished buildings everywhere but I still want to see a person at least once a week in game. :slight_smile:

Maybe @james and the devs need to revamp portals power scheme. If I could donate Copper or some other item that then powers the portal in some way – I would do that. But, as a new player I cannot support the system because I have no Oort or the level to support it. And I’m very sad to see it all start to break down just when I was able to join it.

We would have to do something, we are too far to walk to Pixel Gate and there is really no assurance that they will have portals that are maintained. I checked and we have 4 weeks of power to Vulpto, less from there to the main hub. The real question is where do we create a portal to, in order to get enough traffic to justify a market and have access to resources.

There are 2 real methods, as far as I can see, of making a portal hub. The current one would work if it is maintained. This type has a central location on one of the ring worlds and connects out to each of th other ring worlds from that main location. Each ring world then has access to the moon and home planets, as the current hub works.

The second type would work with nearest distances. For example, solum would have 2 portals, 1 to vulpto and 1 to epsilo. Vulpto would have 2 portals, 1 to Nasharil and 1 to Munteeen VI. Munteen VI would have a portal to Therka, and Therka would have a portal to Septerfon and the portal to Munteen VI, etc.

So it would look like: (And I’m counting each ‘side’ of a portal, but it’s only fueled once)

Australia
Andoweem: 1 portal to Vena V
Vena V: 2 portals, 1 to Andoweem 1 to Alturnik
Alturnick: 2 portals, 1 to Vena V, 1 to Nasharil (If this doesn’t wrap around to Munteen VII, otherwise, 3 portals and the last is Munteen VII)

US West
Elopor: 1 portal to Berlyn
Berlyn: 2 portals, 1 to Elopor, 1 to Nasharil
Nasharil: 3 portals, 1 to Berlyn, 1 to Alturnik, 1 to Vulpto

US East
Epsilo: 1 portal to Solum
Solum: 2 portals, 1 to Epsilo, 1 to Vulpto
Vulpto: 3 portals, 1 to Solum, 1 to Nasharil, 1 to Munteen VII

Europe
Septerfon: 1 portal to Therka
Therka: 2 portals, 1 to Septerfon, 1 to Munteen VII
Munteen VII: 2 portals, 1 to Therka, 1 to Vulpto (And 1 to Alturnik, if it wraps that way)

It’s all based on this map

I’m uncertain is this second way if more or less efficient based on oort cost than the first. If these charts are still applicable, that can be calculated, but I do math all day for work and hate having to math in games.

(Maps and charts are property of other players)

3 Likes

They just need to make mobs a bit easier and the portal networks will (mostly) stay in tact.

They’ve just fixed footfall which will lead to a lot of coin for owners of popular portals. That should fund the networks that are actually used quite well.

Oh, I meant to tell you more about the devs – yes, they’re very active here. For general gameplay/balance/direction you’ll usually see @james, @olliepurkiss, and @luke-turbulenz being summoned .

But back on topic: my worry is that with the population as small as it is relative to available world-space, harder portals will end up forcibly isolating people. On the other hand, I do like the idea – at least for 1.0 – of portals/interplanetary travel being a real achievement.

Tossing out ideas here. What if the “ring worlds” weren’t the high level ones, but the starter planets? So we’d have the equivalents of Solum - Berlyn - Therka - Vena V linked together, ideally with a very cheap portal cost to promote newbies finding communities. Journeys farther afield would correspond to both higher level worlds and higher portal costs. That seems more intuitive to me.

2 Likes

I think the beginner worlds being linked is smarter than the way it currently is. It will help new people like me see all the worlds and then decide if we want to move. If I want to live on a hard world like Nasharil as a lower character where the mobs take 100 hits and can just look at me and I die, then that is MY problem. This helps the progression and harder mobs that we all know need to exist at some level. But, it also helps keep the community and seeing people be more frequent which makes new people like me want to play.

If they make portals power be a mid-tier item where it is easier to get and not something like Oort, then it will be easier for me to support the community and maybe build my own connection to the main hub. This is more enjoyable to me than where I am now in that the hubs can all shut down in a few weeks and I will be isolated again on Berlyn.

4 Likes

well looks like my break from this game just started. Thanks @SWProzee1 for the chance to build a shop there. I built my nicest building (store) there and it actually made me get more into the game. but from the portals closing and that place no longer being my fun happy place with the people I play with, I’m gonna have to take a little break as well.

2 Likes

I hope @Cloud-Strife that DEVS realise what this new update has caused. It made more players really pissed off and are taking a break hoping a new update will bring back the fun.

Just look at all the negative posts in this forum, even negative reviews started on Steam about this update. Take away what people are proud of will pisss them off, that happened to me as I see no future for my portal hub in this game state.

I am sorry that you are affected by this too.

2 Likes

I don’t like complaining either because I love the game but dang, I finally found my spot in your portal hub, and now back to halo for awhile.

1 Like

Good news.

The most recent update of today has changed drops from mobs.

I am very happy with this rebalancing update. Thx for that !

This recent update will guarantee that I will to be able to keep my portal hub open !

I will test this update more as mobs now drop more loot too. Gems, fossiles, more bones/meat.
So far, I am not complaining.

Exept for the fact that cuttles now seem to shoot in front of me and miss all the time ???

3 Likes

any scoops?

1 Like

I am sorry… I don’t understand @the-moebius… :flushed:

1 Like

you never do hahahahahaha

1 Like

Well, I want to answer your question, but I cannot answer a question if I do not understand what you are asking.

Please clearify and I will give you an answer.

1 Like

a scoop is new stuff we dont know about

1 Like

i think lol

1 Like

My personal thought it they need to make a “one way” Donation slot(meaning you can’t take any out) that ALL players have access to, allowing you to power up for X amount of time, on all the portals…
Then, even if it is not currently open, you can put in the right amount of oort stuff and get to where you want to be…

And thinking along those lines, WHY must a portal stay open burning charges? Really, shouldn’t it auto-off after a certain amount of time unless someone pushes a “I want to go now” button or donates the proper amount of oort stuff?

These "ancient Aliens seem rather stupid. LOL

Well, there’s gotta be some reason they’re not around anymore…

2 Likes

@SWProzee1 you’ve got my donations from now till whenever, that’s my place and I’m not letting it suffer.

1 Like