News: Announcing the content of our biggest release yet: New Characters, Creatures and Combat!

I’M sooooooo happy,this game is going to be so big.
I don’t think anything could beat what Oort online will
be.You guys are the best,great job,keep it up.!!!

3 Likes

I would love this, in the waaaay first survey they talked about combat where 55% said ''i want fully skillbased combat systems (headshots yay) so i see it as a possiblity, ben have also talked about doing it with titans and have also said it is possiblity (i think, i cant remember where, @ben confirm?)

i would love for dmg to affect your body so if you fall and it doesnt kill you it will cripple you for a few min so maybe you move at half speed, for example if you are getting chased you have to watch out and cant just speed run though everything :smile:

2 Likes

Oh! HEROSWINE

5 Likes

Oortobrian?

Oorian?^^ (10 chars)

1 Like

I hope they go for a Borderlands like damage/hit system. It feels really intuitive and was overall really well made.

While this seems to be a good idea on paper it will probably just be a major annoyance in the actual game. Rust implemented it pretty much 1:1 as you suggested and it added nothing to the gameplay and just earned the devs a lot of rage and flame.

2 Likes

please, by all means, explain :smile:

also borderlands while being a great game, had a crappy hit system, there were just a few crit spots and thats that, i would love to be able to slow enemies down by hitting the legs, make them attack slower by hitting the arms etc…

Borderlands is hands-down on my top 10 list of the best games I’ve ever played, I loved the story line,the characters were hilarious. And if we were to take some of what borderlands did and put it in Oort, I would be the first person on the bandwagon.

4 Likes

ah nice phrasing, it allows you to make it sound useless without actually claiming it is, hence it makes it sound more valid.

ignoring this and just looking at oort i can give 3 benefits.

1. it would add immersion to the game
  2. it would encourage skill because you dont just have to hit, you have to hit precisely
  3. it allows for choice in combat, how do you want to fight it? just go for headshots to try and finish it off? hit it in the legs so you can kite it? hit it in the arm/shoulder to reduce the dmg done? Basically allowing people to get a strategic advantage by sacrificing dmg (if it for example only deals 25% to hit someone in the leg)

Please, im interested to see the counter arguments, especially the ‘‘it will probably just be a major annoyance’’ part :smile:

2 Likes

If you fell down from a certain height there was a chance that you hurt your leg (symbolized by lowering the camera position (to show that you are crawling) and by adding the symbol of a broken bone to the corner of your screen). This slowed you down quite significantly for about 2 minutes.

No one liked that feature and there was a lot of rage in the forum to get it removed.

Thank your for quoting me out of context. I wrote this in the paragraph I talked about the fall/crippling feature, not the hit detection.

3 Likes

Oh you did? i honestly didnt know, because you didnt say so… at all… eh, i cant imagine why people would be angry about that, unless they constantly did it ofc. which would be kinda stupid…

so to get that straight, you dont mind the ability for damage to affect other stats than just health on enemies? however you would mind damage affection yourself to affect anything other than health? (just to be sure)

1 Like

5 Likes

1 Like

I thought it would be enough to quote the start of the paragraph where you talked about falling crippling you.

I just said what the general response of the community of the game was.
I personally disliked the feature because it was really annoying when you were just rounding around without beeing chased and then had to basically wait for 2 minutes when you slipped down a rock…

Nah its a good idea, maybe it should just get implemented for bigger creatures (protectors/titans) since the feet of a mo´pig for example are a pretty small target and I don’t know if anybody would go for that target.

Same here. I would not mind if , for example, a hit on the arm would have a chacne to disarm me for a few seconds. It´s just the idea of fall damage crippling me that i dislike /have bad experience with.

1 Like

Ahh… Thank you, that makes sense :smiley:

i would still like it, but maybe a softer version, so the more dmg you take the longer you are crippled, so say 1% hp = 1 sec, meaning if you only lose 5% health you are slower for 5 sec, 20% health = 20 sec, 50% (which is damn much) = 50 sec. that way it makes for it to be more dynamic, in the end i would like to see it because it would discourage people from just mindlessly jumping down from wherever thinking ‘‘eh i can regen this hp up in a few sec’’ :smile:

1 Like

Finally! I’m all hyped now! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, although not enabled this release.

4 Likes

who is lester??

We call the current placeholder character lester :slight_smile: :lester:

Lester is the trees, he is the ground, you are lester and I am lester. Lester is lester, in addition to the water, sky and clouds being made of lester.

12 Likes