Next free weekend?

Fidach tho set up a couple of shop stands for new players which were either free or really, really cheap.

Also Nova Golda Market has Kim Clausen’s Noob Nirvana for noob supplies! Haven’t checked his latest prices but didn’t think they are excessive last time I checked…

But I do get it, there have been plenty of shops trying to squeeze as much coin out of newbies as possible…

2 Likes

it adds atmosphere to me. I know your reasoning from the other topic but it doesn’t affect us all like that. I actually kind of like the rain, it’s relaxing lol :smile:

4 Likes

Yeap. Also aquatopian embassy has "new player"stand where everything is like under 100c

Or…just go build in a desert. Build in a swamp or forest and it rains way more. Used fo complain about rain in my old build. Now im in a swamp its about 50% of the time. Cant say i mind, makes it more swampy

1 Like

The irony in this comment is we have players complaining that they take a break and come back and their build has regenerated or they forgot to fuel and their build regenerated and a group of players keeps advocating that the system should not remove these builds or store them. So the players that are using the tool provided in the game to preserve their builds and resources are the problem now? Can’t have it both ways.

If you want the abandoned builds occupied and to not have the small community spread out over 50 planets them you need to find a way to keep the existing player base playing. Then recruit your new players.

5 Likes

That is nice you have a few friends that might play the game, But free week ends are supposed to be about a much bigger cause, Your friends will have to wait, if you yourself can not convince them to play at this time.

We do not need another free weekend at this time. I was 100% against the 1st free weekend they put out, and I hope the damage caused by that will not be as bad as I think it might be.

The NPE (New Player Experience) in this game is extremely bad for the „casual“ player, Or the kind of player who doesn’t have enough gaming experience to be able to learn on their own, put things together, and most of all, experiment with everything in the game. Because the type of players this game attracts is more likely to be the kind of player who will start to give up the moment something becomes confusing or difficult, the NPE needs alot of work.

This absolutely must be done before the devs even consider doing another free weekend.

Then there is the lack of content that will keep causing players to quit, Even new players will quit from lack of content, as content is lacking at all phases of the game. All the friends I have gotten to play this game, quit after about 2 or 3 weeks due to this.

There is the problem with beacon fuel, While I personally think the system is fine, and the players just aren’t paying attention… It is creating a problem, Somewhere, the importance of beacon fuel is not being stressed enough, or the warning signs are not obnoxious enough for players to pay attention to them. I feel a few too many people have quit due to them losing just about everything. This may be another fault of having a bad NPE system

The leveling up system needs to be slightly redesigned, This is the only game that I have played where leveling up gives you an item you need to open, In other games, when you level up, you are just simply given the stat points and anything else automatically, and to further turn it into a problem, is the fact the level up boxes, look quite alot like RNG loot boxes, even if they aren’t it is an extremely bad 1st impression for reasons that should be obvious to most people. The feat reward system might also need to be looked at too,

Lore, This is nearly non existent, We get one text block at the start of the game with a tiny bit of lore/story line in it, and that is it, no more. A story line can give players a motivation to keep playing, because they want to find out more, and can take the edge off of some aspects of the grind, With out a storyline, I am sure some players will lose motivation, It is important in an MMO game to have lore.

There are other problems that need to be fixed that can be damaging for the new player if they remain as is, but I think this is enough words for now.

The bottom line from me is;

No More Free Weekends, Not until this game is actually in Post-Beta state, And I am not talking about version numbers, I am referring how the game feels in terms of completeness and polish.

I feel that each free weekend they do that turns out to be a flop will damage the potential success of the next free weekend by quite an amount.

7 Likes

Imo the problem is that you fall to hard by losing everything besides level and inventory. There should be a system that stores at least your items for you until you return. The devs stated multiple times that it would create an infinite storage that will be abused. But I don’t buy that. All you need is a simple check if the beacon ran out on its own by lack of fuel and simply don’t safe items when the beacon was destoryed prematurely. Nobody will wait a month to put stuff in a storage, that’s just too impractical.

This just can’t be stated enough. Totally agree. It’s a huge problem in new players first impression of the game.

2 Likes

Problem solved.

New players don’t generally have much coin, so it wouldn’t matter what prices a nearby shop might have. They are learning the game & figuring things out - they aren’t immediately aware of shops & trying to buy things.

I’ve seen clean titanium tools for as much as 5k each. I just assume that person hasn’t explored much & probably doesn’t sell anything. It doesn’t hurt/concern me. There are plenty of other shops/worlds to check out. Pricing is different in every area.

New players are guided to make basic tools almost right away & start on level 1 planets.

I personally like the rain & find it very aesthetic/zen, but that’s just me. The only weather I don’t care for, is the weather that 100% impedes game play (snow covering blocks & builders/gatherers couldn’t see which block was which). I had a base on an icy mountain that I thought was amazing - I dismantled & moved it because I couldn’t stand the constant wind sounds lol

No it just makes the developers pay for the cost to store the builds of these players that may never come back. Why should my paying for gleam club pay for the storing of someone else’s build? It shouldn’t.

All you do is create a situation where you increase the overall cost of running the game on behalf of players that are not contributing any money to actually running the game.

James specifically commented that the cost is not minimal to store this amount of data. Especially for the large builds. Even if they have to store it now, at least now the players are possibly playing the game and might be buying gleam club to cover some of the costs of running the game.

2 Likes

Maybe BL can give you a few keys/discounts or something for your friends? Maybe PM a dev? Couldn’t hurt to ask. There are a couple of games I’ve purchased on steam that gave me 1-3 keys for free to give to friends.

From what I’ve seen, I would have to agree that a free weekend might not be a good thing right now. People view/treat completed retail games differently from alpha/beta early access games — I feel like this game screams alpha/beta right now. People have much less patience when a game is suppose to be a completed, polished, retail version of a game.

I don’t know what the solution would be for the beacon/plot/items issue, but it seems like that’s causing 50% of the negative reviews & rage-quits. I know it’s really easy to fuel a beacon, but for some reason, a lot of people aren’t comprehending it very well. :woman_shrugging:

I think farming will bring in a decent trickle of new players, OG players, etc.

1 Like

This would be weird. I’ve never heard of a player quitting over prices at one shop. Most new players don’t even know there are shops.

1 Like

You highlighted a couple key points.

1. The best beacon fuel should’ve never been hard or expensive to get (ingame). Everyone should’ve had an abundance of easy to get fuel from day one (that lasts longer than a month).

2. It’s not that it’s hard to comprehend, it’s just that people arent thinking about Boundless every day/week/month if they’re not playing the game.

The “return value” for games like Boundless, Ark, Conan (etc) is much lower once you lose your stuff / base / dinosaurs / whatever. I’m sure there’s been plenty of people that have wanted to come back and play the game again, but once those people realize a lot of what they did they’d have to do again; it turns them off. The “Time loss” mechanisms in these games are rough and sometimes hard to stomach.

Actually I’ve assisted a lot of new players(a lot during the last free weekend too) & most of them don’t understand the beacon/plot/fuel concept at all. There are a few that I had to tell over & over that their campfire wasn’t going to last long and they should use a beacon. One placed like 15 campfires. They also don’t understand that blocks outside of the beacons/plots disappear. There is one steam review from a player that had over 1500hrs…beacon went out so he rage quit.

Fuel in BL is super easy to obtain/make. 2nd easiest thing next to a totem.

I can’t think of anything I’ve lost in another MMO from not logging in (besides expired quests & not getting log in rewards).

we need to isolate why that is tho we have already had 1 free to play weekend and it only saw a fraction of the people that played it stay in and if vet players are leaveing for greener pastures then that just signals that the same thing could happen to the free to play people down the line

tbh its better then the alternative where the new players walks around thinking all the reviews on steam are botted cuz there are no builds or players for miles around

that would be really hard to do they would have to change GC then prevent anyone with a already active sub form paying more so they could set the old GC has legacy then have the new one with the changed perks cuz we would see a massive ban wave if people came back only to find out the 10s or 100s of $ they spent on GC to protect there builds was removed and everything was gone

^ this i mean in boundless you can build…or build or build some more if you are online at the right time maybe do a hunt but then boom back to building even minecraft atlest gives players a incentive to explore

thats another thing too new players are going to jump into the game see that there is jack all to do re bring up the steam page see a lack of early access tag and just stare blinky at the screen the devs pulled a fallout 76 in this regard where we are still playing a “beta” over half a year into launch

sorry for the ping Kal-EL deleted my comment cuz i forget what i posted for your secton is a “hot topic”

So, from a strictly material and quantity view. I agree with both points.

However, all of the MMOs I have played generally are driven by new content releases. When you take time off from those games, the effectivity of you character and equipment suffers because even your end game gear can and does get washed out by the new common gear.

As for the OPs question. I think @majorvex had a good idea with friend keys. I would take it one step further and suggest that all players get 2-5 temporary account keys (1-2weeks) to hand out. That would provide a better pace of new traffic and it would allow players to hand them out to friend that they can coach or guide past some of the NPE shortfalls.

2 Likes

The only thing with this is that in other MMOs, we get new costumes, new maps, new blocks, new weapons, new skills…things are added. It gives you incentive to log in & play some more.

In the case of the vanishing beacons/plots/items/builds, things are removed. People are losing items, time, bases, equipment, etc. = disincentives (to log back in to BL or continue playing).

I’m not advocating for all abandoned things to stay in the BL Universe - I fully understand that would be a huge burden to the servers, from what has been mentioned.

However, I don’t know what the difference is between the BL servers/capacity that won’t allow players to retain items…and other MMOs where your items stay in your club/inventory/chests/etc.

3 Likes

yea like for say if WoW removed a level form all your char’s for evey week you did not log in and do a daily quest

1 Like

How about a T1 exo planet appears that only allows free weekend accounts to build. Limit the plot count to 4-10 plots for the weekend. Allow access to teleport to the outskirts of each T3 and below capital city from the sanctum so new players can explore the live builds. Only condition is they cannot build on live servers under the free account.

Upgrading a free weekend account gives them a +X% exp gain up to level 20. To simplify this process, they can only carry over whats in their inventory to the live universe when they upgrade so a new system won’t need to be implemented first (like the blueprint idea).

2 Likes

I have begun to think that it would be better to have set places for a new player to arrive at. Close to a town that has a portal, maybe even select towns where there are players who are assigned to help, volunteers, we could offer to take on a couple new players to guide them perhaps for a short while.

In theory it sounds good to let players pick to land anywhere they want, but then they are lost in what to do, how to do it. Such as not understanding that a campfire is temp, that even though they get told, several times when they log in that their beacon needs fuel they don’t seem to get it and then lose their beacon and what they have.

I agree about the loot boxes, they see them as P2W, which unfortunately is stated in some reviews and in many posts on Steam by those who don’t understand and in spite from some who are mad. Several of us can think of one who wanted everyone to tell him what to do and then told us we were wrong and sent nasty PMs.

As I had stated, a free weekend should be for a holiday, such as Christmas not soon, hopefully after the farming is released and bugs are taken care of.