Ninja is asking for an MMO universe to get lost in

I’m so glad too that you joined in, you are a such a great addition to the community! :smiley: I have to say this: that the people I’ve recruited on Twitter are all REALLY good folks, and it has seriously made me so happy to get awesome individuals like you into Boundless. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I need to be clearer. I do not think what @majorvex is negative. I just think there are risks because the game while it says it is released, we all know it is still going to go through a lot of changes and there are new player retention issues. I think players like @majorvex are acting out of an affection for the game and they know how much they like the game and maybe cannot fully understand why the game is not doing better. One obvious answer appears to be a lack of publicity. So I do understand the motives and the rationale behind pushing the game. I just wonder if it is not quite the right time.

2 Likes

Aww shucks, I’ve gone all coy. :smirk: Thank you for bringing this great game to my attention… And being an awesome human being. Don’t know what I would have done without yours and @Trickyy90 help though these first few months.

5 Likes

When it comes to promotion, who’s to say when the right time is? As the old saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity. No Man’s Sky is a perfect example, that game received some terrible publicity at launch, but that actually drew my attention to the game as I’d never heard of it before, and I’m still playing it 3 years later.

4 Likes

couple points

good work by everyone who promoted Boundless. Having Boundless appear over and over in the mentions will likely generate a few new players.

As far as Ninja goes, I doubt there is much sincerity in his question. It is just a way for him and his team to fulfill their social media engagement strategy. Sorry to be so cynical, but I have worked in influencer and big brand marketing for 7 years, and he is a brand, and this tactic is as common as the sky is blue.

Not to mention he has plenty of companies willing to pay him maga $ to play their games and they contact his management daily if not hourly

Doesn’t mean people shouldn’t post. Other’s will see Boundless over and over in the mentions. Even if he never does.

2 Likes

I would argue the developers and publishers are. They know what the plans are for the game and where is it going. We have no idea what will come next and how the game will change or what they have in mind for promoting the game.

1 Like

Devs are generally not great at PR, again look at HG with NMS, complete disaster. Unless you are a big AAA publisher/developer with a dedicated PR department publicity and promotion tend to fall a bit by the wayside. Name one indie game which has had a massive promo push? It just doesn’t happen because they don’t have the recourses or the knowhow.

I was going to say Crowfall had some really good transparency and publicity going for a bit but then I personally dropped interest in that game for Boundless and as far as I know now Crowfall has flopped :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The difference there is they exaggerated about what they were going to deliver, they sought out the publicity and talked up a game that did not have what they were committing to.

Isn’t that why they have Square Enix as their publisher? But in any case, we are not going to agree so there is no point in us going back and forth.

… And IMO, the NMS base is the one that is best to be hitting. Even though Boundless is more similar to Minecraft than NMS in gameplay, I’ve just seen that the people who love NMS are more prone to showing interest in Boundless as well.

To be blunt, had Boundless gotten the same exposure NMS did early on, I think it would be doing even better as - as much as I do love NMS - Boundless is frankly the better game IMO. NMS is great to explore and relax in, lots of building potential - but Boundless does everything better I think. And look how huge the following for NMS is now, how many people play. Although the devs went through hell because of it (death threats over butterflies, among other things) they benefited long run because they got a big core group of us in early. And after the initial chaos died down, basically those of us who loved the game issues and all seized control of that community and turned the whole tone of it. There is a big lesson there, IMO… how the fans can really make a difference.

4 Likes

The pre-release PR for NMS was very good. They created huge hype. It was the largest selling game on the PS Store the first month it was released.

imo, their problems began when the game did not live up to people’s expectations. Expectations that were created by hype

1 Like

My point wasn’t that the promotion didn’t help the game, my initial comments were saying that all publicity is good for Boundless. My statement about NMS was in relation to the response that the devs should decide when to promote the game and me stating that devs are terrible at PR. Sean Murray now admits he did the game a disservice with the initial promotion, which is why they now stay silent between updates and let the community promote the game.

1 Like

yeah. Didn’t he have to shut down their office location for a month because of all the crazy angry people? He was getting death threats and all kinds of hate. He didn’t deserve that, some people are berserk. I remember Sony having to refund people’s money that first month as well.

imo, if they would have charged $29 instead of $49 or $59, can’t remember what it was, a lot of that hate would not have happened.

the hype matched the price, but the game, at least at launch did not match either the hype or the price.

1 Like

Whos ninja?

Who ever him and his crew are. They are no match for the community commander of gaming and logistics.

1 Like

a rich dude

3 Likes

He did, it really got out of hand, they all had to have police protection for a few months, so now they stay quiet and to be fair, the game is now all he promised and more.

1 Like

Hes the world’s biggest streamer, over 15 million subscribers on twitch before he left to go to mixer for a boat load of money and regularly gets 80,000 viewers on his streams, he mainly plays fortnight and his community can be toxic, but with that many followers, if he did take up playing Boundless, which is unlikely, then the game would probably explode with new players.

You can buy streamers

No one is better than Mr. A Games

1 Like

Yeah, but he doesn’t need to, that’s why Microsoft paid him a reported 10 million to leave twitch and go to mixer.

Back in my day we watched television.

6 Likes