No More Tax poll

so i just opened a shop i got to learn about tax?
whats this good for i pay enough real life tax all ready dont need it in my game
and since the ingame goverment is on hiatus
why should we pay tax
got enough people doing nothing i pay tax for in real life :grin:
got better things to do with my skillpoint
was gonna say they trying to steal my pants but i aint got no pants

• yes tax love it
  • no more tax

0 voters

now excuse me busy building a mansion

7 Likes

I agree with you on the taxā€¦ but be careful you will invoke the ā€œcoin sinkā€ gods!

This always turns into a rabbit hole! Lol

Just getting back into game and forums after a long hiatus, always get a good chuckle from your posts lolā€¦ glad your still here :+1:

3 Likes

Render unto Caesarā€¦ :wink::face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Who dares summon the coin sink gods???

Coin sinks are important to fight off inflation! Raise the taxes! Low taxes are a blight upon the world! Spare the taxes, spoil the citizen!

3 Likes

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying my darnedest to come up with a justification for taxes, and I have to conclude that they should not exist in the current version of the game. I was under the impression at launch that there would be an update that gave them to the capital city, so if that was the case Iā€™d guess the early prestige wars led to that level of competition being frowned upon.

As it stands, taxes drive up prices of high-end items to create a wider gap between phases of the game, which I do feel is legit under normal circumstances. Problem is while weā€™re still trying to grassroots this game the new players are most affected.

Maybe in the future they could make the tax rate of the planet correlate with its prestige, relative to other planets. This would encourage spreading out to lesser-settled worlds for those who arenā€™t thriving on the thinner margins, and would make the marketplace for trading incomparably more fun and interesting. Setting prices would no longer be a matter of looking on BUTT and deciding the lowest price youā€™re willing to accept, but would add multiple markets to consider. If you think you could pull enough customers to a T6, sell your T6 tools there and enjoy the tax breaks. The price charts on BUTT would likely show a lot more fluctuation due to disparate returns that would constantly evolve with the economic and prestige landscapes.

Iā€™m sure there are some holes in that idea that would need other changes but I canā€™t think of anything that wouldnā€™t be worth the added excitement. Sovereigns would probably need to be fixed at the global average to avoid a loophole of getting a new world for the blank slate on prestige, for instance.

4 Likes

The one justification I thought of for taxes is that there are some objectives tied to buying and selling from stands/baskets, and one trophy/achievement for buying 500,000 totalā€¦ a tax sort of gives a penalty or discouragement from trying to cheese them by setting up even price buy/sell stands with alts to grind them out quickly with yourself or friends. It is a small thing though, on the whole would rather not have the taxes, or have them lower.

1 Like

Tax system would be great if it was distributed correctly say just for example I know not perfect but to all towns above 1,250,000 prestige.

2 Likes

Where does the tax go now?

1 Like

Or maybe distributed once a week/month to all Boundless oortlings with a master beacon on that planet.

3 Likes

Your taxes pay my income, do you really want to see me go hungry???

4 Likes

I like that more than what I said. It should be really low in a beacon under 10k prestige that isnā€™t part of a settlement, but above 0 for the point Paka made. Then it increases with settlement level.

<50k = 2%
50k-250k = 4%
250k-1.25m = 6%
1.25m-6.5m = 8%
6.5m-32m = 10% which is the normal rate
Over 32m = 12%

This would be so realistic. Big, wealthy cities generally have a higher cost of living irl. It would be balanced by the fact that malls and shop areas in cities still have the convenience factor for the buyers and sellers, so I doubt there would be any kind of mass scramble to move shops if it was implemented. I just think weā€™d see new shops pop up in other areas and bring strategy back to the trade industry.

2 Likes

Yea definitely many different ways to improve upon the system that doesnā€™t have any meaning as of yet I just hope when/ if they come back to this game they implement it in an easy not over complicated way that fits the game.

It goes into the either, its to avoid price inflation I think, someone posted some game theory about it once that cleared it up for me, but I have no idea who or what the link wasā€¦

1 Like

I feel this would result in lots of shops with 50k prestige and border protection turned onā€¦

1 Like

This is another thing I havenā€™t been able to figure out; do people lose footfall by being part of a larger settlement?