No recurring effect after solvent

Hey there.
So, the title might not be clear, but I wanted to avoid writting this :

Prevent boons/quirks/defects from immediately reapplying after using a solvent

I’m however sure this makes the suggestion clear, if you’ve ever tried to forge something specific and had to use a solvent.

If you don’t know the feeling of removing a boon/quirk/defect with a solvent and in the next turn at the Centraforge, to have it being randomly picked once again, as if the system was laughing at you, well, lemme tell you, it’s rage-inducing, especially if you forgot to have deconstruction resins in your ingredient deck.

It happened to me about 30 minutes ago while making a batch of AoE Diamond Hammers, not once, not twice, but thrice in a row!
WHY MAGNETIC BOON, WHY DO YOU INSIST ON SHOWING-UP?!
ImmaLetYouFinish_MagneticBoon

So how about doing something that other games are doing?

I’m gonna use World of Warcraft as an example (I know, right? Shocker!) and point out how they’ve added “Bad Luck Protection” systems in a lot of their RNG-based features.
In WoW’s case, it’s subtle things like this : if you don’t get an epic piece of loot on a boss, you can use a special token to have a second chance to get your epic piece of loot, and if you’re unlucky, you can also get a consolation prize as a handful of gold pieces. What some players don’t know is that if you keep getting the gold pieces (which is quite unlucky as the ‘bonus rolls’ tokens aren’t cheap, and there’s a cap to how many you can carry and how many you can get per week), the game keeps that in mind and slightly increases your chances to get an actual epic loot the next time.

So, here, basically, what I’d suggest would simply be :
If a solvent removes a boon/quirk/defect, then you get a buff (in the bar where the effects of gums and pastes are displayed) that shows the icon of the removed boon/quirk/defect in red, indicating that you’re not going to have this specific boon/quirk/defect added for 2 turns.

What do you think?

• I need this to be added right now!
  • No way, nuh-uh, the current way this works is fine as it is!
  • I agree, there’s a problem, but I don’t think this is the right solution.
  • Preventing these to be re-applied for 2 turns is too abusive!
  • Preventing these to be re-applied for 2 turns isn’t long enough!
  • Preventing these to be re-applied for 2 turns should be fiiiiine.
  • Catch this Gob and prevent him from writting any more suggestions, it’s annoying!
  • Something else… (comment below)
  • Ftaghn! :space_invader:

0 voters

This is why I have never used solvents personally and I just stick to deconstructs if I get the wrong boon.

If this change happened I would be very tempted to start using them though, great idea!

Had no idea how to vote so went with the safest option… Ftaghn

1 Like

omg I was going to post a thread earlier about this exact thing.
it is INFURIATING BEYOND BELIEF how the RNG works. not only can it bring back the same boon, also when the points come back, it ALWAYS rolls extremely low on the scale, wasting boon points on the next round.

INFURIATING.

I wasted 600 vigour from having to use stupid solvents.
I aborted and threw in setting resin. ended up with +9 range and +200 dura on NINE gold fists. (i wanted damage but wasted SO many solvents)

this is how games should work.

1 Like

I tend to do Multiple Choice polls, with usually something like 5 choices per voter.
I guess you didn’t click on the Vote button to validate your pick. :wink:

I wasted a lot of Diamond hammers because of that. For every good AoE hammer I make, there’s 2 others that are just ‘meh’ misforges.

I’m honestly hoping for any change at this point. I’ve already proposed the CRAZY IDEA : Upgrade machine which in essence would replace boons and quirks with socketable mods that could be plugged into weapons/tools.

There’s lots of ways to spin the Centraforge’s design into something fun and not frustrating for all players, while still keeping the economy safe.

2 Likes

You’re correct it seems I didnt!!

Thankyou and voted. Ftaghn life

I am a somewhat new player, but my experience with the solvent was the same. It is very frustrating, especially since the solvents can be relatively costly. I voted for a prevention of more than 2 turns. At the very least, it should be impossible for the reroll to be the same as what was removed.

2 Likes

In my opinion the Boon removal solvent makes sense if you aim only for one boon and accidentally hit “outside” the Loaded gum. Then there is a high chance to get the gum specified boon.

It is useless to target “other boon within the Gum’s spec” as you tend to get the same one over an over.

In any case this ingredient eats up your Vigor, and it is possible to forge without it… so for me, makes sense for the first case described, and does not make much sense for the second case/higher end forges, no matter how you change it, cause still you will miss the Vigor and it takes up one slot in your deck.