Nothing like watching a Solar Eclipse :D

18 Likes

Would be nice if the sky got dark doing an eclipse like that!

8 Likes

yea, I actually have some screen shots of the ground during this but the light levels never changed so I didn’t bother posting them

We actually had an eclipse once: (was a scripted event though)

14 Likes

woah!!!, that looks amazing, thanks for sharing this ^^

2 Likes

Cant Devs attach a script that anytime the sun is cover by another planet the sky gets dark? Seems like it may be pretty simple.

2 Likes

We plan to do that, it’s just not done yet.

Pretty simple isn’t necessarigly the case though ;p (to do it accurately anyways), even if it were 2d it’d not be entirely simple, since it would effectively be a case of taking the ‘circle’ of the sun, and subtracting the ‘circle’ of planets from it repeatedly which is by no means trivial maths (a single circle circle intersection is simple sure, but not a repeated subtraction of circles…) and that’s in 2d, technically speaking we’re talking about subtracting “shapes” in a polar coordinate system of sorts in 3d working out the resultant solid angle that is visible for the sun…

I very much doubt we’ll do it ‘accuratelty’, and much rather come up with some approximations for it.

A separate, but related issues is correctly cutting out the region of the sun that is covered when it comes to god-rays/lens-flare calculations, but that’s much simpler from an implementation perspective.

15 Likes

How planets hide each other, but the sun shines through them!

Shouldn’t it be dark now?

6 Likes

We need solar eclipse!

3 Likes

This was discussed in another recent post (too busy to find it atm) bit the gist of it was that there is plans to impliment that later.

1 Like

FYI. There are 4 options that we considered:

1. Do nothing when the Sun and planets overlap.
  2. Make sure they never overlap.
  3. Apply a suitable visual effect when they overlap.
  4. Same as 3 plus link in some gameplay.

Number #3 is sufficiently hard that given the cost it only makes sense if we do #4 and make a feature out of it.

Now more interestingly what should we link to a full or partial eclipse??

9 Likes

That sounds like a good enough topic for an entire thread of its own!

Edit: So, now that this topic has been moved to an appropriate thread, what sort of link to game play do you guys think would be appropriate for a solar eclipse?

4 Likes

Perhaps something to do with Titans? Like they get easier to tackle during a solar eclipse?

8 Likes

Short list:

• Flowers that bloom when it happens
  • Special mob behavior
  • Special mob abilities
  • Some machine addition that allows new recipes during it
  • Titan regenerate
  • Allowing to create random portals as was talked about at some point.
9 Likes

One fun feature is that the animals turn full on retard if there is an eclipse

3 Likes

I think their eye’s should glow, and then they gradually inflate with air, lift into the sky, pop and drop candy.

this is the only way to ever get candy in the game.

we should add candy

15 Likes

This should be a Halloween event :smiley:

3 Likes

Creatures (and everything else) could drop materials with a special tint.
And since tints carry over in the crafting process it could make some quite neat (and exclusive) looking tools/wearables/props.

3 Likes

Oruuruuu grurg. Ooo-Uururuuuu. :notes:

I was thinking something a little more Pitch Black…

7 Likes