Perks with Cons

Something I really like is when games have skills or perks that not only give you an advantage but also go along with a small disadvantage. For example some perks in the Path of Exile Skilltree:

While skilling through the Path of Exile skilltree I frequently thought “Damn this bonus is sweet. But is it worth the penalty?” Which made skilling in Path of Exile a really fun (and challenging) experience.

On the other hand there are the "standard“ perks like they are used in Borderlands (and most MMORPGs):

Here the skilling, albeit the single perks being more interesting than in Path of exile, was a lot less interesting (and this was not entirely caused by the simplified skilltree). The interesting bigger Perks in Borderlands "just“ give you a nice new perk, so you just push as much points as possible into it without hesitating. More ammo per mag? Heck why not?!

It´s pretty obvious that I´m a big fan of the first approach on perks and skills but I´m curious about the opinion of the rest of the community. What do you think about each approach on skills/perks and what do you think would fit better into B<?

5 Likes

This was done especially well in Fallout: New Vegas, where in the beginning of the game, you can choose 2 perks from a massive list of perks (which in itself is a benefit and a downfall to the player), and all of the perks are well thought out and balanced.

Also we could use the system of fallout 4, some drugs to have advantage, increase speed, damage, HP regen for few seconds, AP regen as well, and also put some disatvantages with some consumable items giving other advantages. up something, down something else

I also like this kind of system (a lot) and we’re planning to include negatives and conditions with stat rolled entities.

4 Likes

The game will have a lot to offer, I like it a lot.