Pets

I believe that we need pets in this game, and a specific mob for these pets as well. Pets could be a great addition to this game; you give them a bone (medium fossil) to tame them, and feed them with meat. Pets will defend you, but they will only attack some aggressors. One type of pet will only attack players, another will attack mobs, and if they are well trained, they will be able to attack both. Anybody have any ideas what these pets should look like? (try to stay away from cat and dog like design)

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of combat pets in general. If they are in game, you must have one all of the time to be optimal for combat. (Minecraft’s wolf for example.) If the pet is too strong, then the player needs never worry about single targets as the pet is enough to handle it, and if they are too weak, you’re having to babysit and guard them constantly from every little threat. Additionally, in a class based game, pet taming classes have to be weaker on their own and rely on their pet to match other solo classes.

I’m 100% for non-combat “vanity” pets, though.

5 Likes

Totally agree with you, though, I don’t see any issues regarding the class-less style of Boundless in comparison to other class-bearing games regarding pet-taming, as any skillpoints spent into a theoretical “pet taming” skilltree would naturally take away from skillpoints that could be assigned to other (combat related) skilltrees.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about mounts in B<, but pets could act as mounts or be used for other smaller functions like portable storage.

1 Like

I really hope there will be a difference between having a pet and taming a pet. As in you can always buy a pet to have it with you but you’d need the right level in taming to tame a creature (and maybe the same for breeding).

Also @Vastar since I still hope that we won’t have less skill points than skills available (and see no reason for it other than the devs think it’s better this way >_<) that won’t solve the problem of balance in the case the devs change their minds.

I love the concept of battle pets that are dead if they die … no rez, no gaining it back, just able to tame a new one. So you could focus on taming (which may consume some skill points (also in matters of balancing)) and then tame a pet to have one when going out to combat (and the last one is gone because X_X or because they leave when logging off longer then 15 mins)) for the run … and if it dies, try to kill the foe or flee and afterwards tame a new one when you find one :wink:

so each world will have different possible pets and tamers will have to get used to each place to know what those little friends may be able to do (which elements, weaknesses, fav food for taming, …)

Also, if Pet die permanently you could also let them stay when logging off and make them tradable … would be a nice economy (if the ability to tame higher pets is behind a skill gate). Just let there be a required level/advancement for being able to summon the bought pet, because no game wants newbie chars with bastardo dragon pets next to them ^^. But please don’t let it be bound to a skill because that would leed to a quite handicaped pet trading economy, beause if taming skilled players want a pet they just tame one themself :wink:

Edit: for additional balancing and mechanic the taming process could be done with a tool but bound to a wearable item like a armband or headband, so if you tame a pet it is tamed onto the wearable till it dies so you can trade it and also balance it’s “power cost” by consuming the effect on you which normally can be gotten through the item slot.

1 Like