Placements limits

Trying to think of a good way to communicate that to players in the early game, so it’s not so much of a surprise, but coming up empty… Anyone else have any good ideas?

I will check, I will try to find a solution. I have only a few storage blocks to add in this area … hoping it will not affect my garden that is on the roof when we get the update lol … the soil is already added

I think the farming crops are handled as grass, so they don’t count as a mesh.

5 Likes

I ran into that problem too but I just built 3 other towers one 4 storage, workshop, store, portals lol

I think the game does warn you at 400 or something, but it should probably warn you for every mesh placed > 400. (Or something.)

4 Likes

Thanks.

Just to add - almost all crops use the “grass rendering” and do not contribute to the mesh limits, however some are meshes and would contribute: the combustion fraction and the decorative prestige crops.

3 Likes

If you cut out the bottom 2 rows of storage blocks, you could put shop stands as one of the rows and line your gray timber as the other row. It would reduce your mesh count and increase your storage cap.

Aesthetically it would be up to you though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think it warns you before you hit the limit, ran into 400+ on a few chunks in my build just yesterday and didn’t see a warning.
It would be very helpful to have something in-game! Currently it’s only possible to know via console and that’s also not very intuitive.

2 Likes

yes, in fact I just added a separation and this solved my problem. I already use shops stands for various things but here I wanted to have storage blocks

Thank you

same thing for me I did not see this message on the screen … but I may have missed it

1 Like

What about lanterns is that a mesh

If it can be chiselled, it’s a block.

4 Likes

I mean shop stands can’t be chiseled but it’s a block.

Machines, shelves, signs, torches, flowers, coils(?) could be completely wrong with coils. And I don’t remember if doors do or not

Torches also count towards the mesh limit, perhaps using another light source can help a bit?

But yes, i can be annoying, when I was building my new workshop and massive storage underneath I also ran into this problem, since my bottom floor containing the massive storage was the biggest floor anyway I moved all storage and anything counting towards the mesh limit to the ‘side’ of where my machines were on the top floor.

Sad part is upping the limit will mean a slowdown in rendering I’ve been told so I can imagine they aren’t too eager to do that.

And BTW, the mesh limit is per chunk, a chunk is 2x2 plots and from the mantle to the upper limit, so it’s 16x16x256 blocks…

1 Like

I’ve never seen a warning tho, only when I couldn’t place it anymore due to reaching the limit already…

Well it’s clearly not enough… need to be improved.

2 Likes

@james what about mentioning it during the early journal process? The one relating to building your first base.

1 Like

As players we have day to day interaction with plots.
we can easily visualise these using the beacon plotter or just pressing b (ps4… :man_shrugging:)
Chunks (2x2 plots) are vital for developers but far less so for players. Also no way to tell which chunk you are in, without debug menu.
Settlement bridging problems sometimes used to arise because connections via chunks were required (please correct me if I’m wrong) while now connection is via 2 touching plots, and so a lot easier to visualise, from a players stand point.
would it be possible to make mesh limits on a plot by plot basis?
I speak from a laymens point of view so be gentle when correcting me :wink: )

1 Like

Up on dpad (or b on keyboard)…

That would be nice, yes, or, or, well perhaps an and is in order, show the mesh limit somewhere, maybe in the same way as when you are plotting plots, counter on the right side of the screen and then per 10 (otherwise it might get a little busy with messages after every storage block placed)…

You could divide coordinates by 16 to solve where chunks go, player who can do js could do webpage to show current chunk fast when you enter coordinates… But I think chunk borders should be shown without need of external services and available for all. Maybe also mesh count should be available for all, now PC players have advantage to run with debug menu on and hunt with underground objects using debug menu.

For example chunk s could be marked by bolder vertical lines or different color lines on plot view.

2 Likes

From my understanding shop stands are a mesh, and count towards the limit?
I thought the reason they are suggested as a potential workaround is due to the massive increase of storage per block.
AFAIK anything that can be chiselled doesn’t count.

Also I just lost for the first time in a long time :frowning: