Planet Nicknames

ööööhm, I dunnow, but I like the names, even if they are a bit complicated ^^

7 Likes

It is actually all a design decision and not evil or impossible or anything. They did a good job in creating unique and interesting names using technology and not a simple boring way of some person coming up with something.

9 Likes

I agree, the wacky planet and region names are one of the best things in the game

9 Likes

If you cant remember or even say them: git gud! ^^

But since we are able to name locations when getting settlement status this is not an issue at all :wink:

6 Likes

They could be in German’ Then they would be like SOOOOOO long! Give us an example @TheBirne

5 Likes

18 planets, 50 planets, that’s all small scale thinking. The big picture is that each planet has 50 zones, and the universal structure is designed to scale indefinitely. A little random name generation is just fine in the context of the massive scope involved. Maybe you don’t remember, but there was a time before when people had difficulty pronouncing Munteen, were not sure if Berlyn was pronounced with an I or Y sound, and Nasharil was always shortened to just Nash because it’s easier to say.

Not everything is a problem, not everything is horrible!!! and not everything needs to be turned into a rant.

12 Likes

well, at least they could ^^ … German location or city names or not as long as irish ones. Long german examples would be the “Teutoburger Wald” or “Schneverdingen” … but irish? … ever heard of “Bullaunancheathrairaluinn” or “Lough Clougherbowbartleymede”? … and those are just some examples out of a wiki list ^^ ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_placenames_in_Ireland )

We germans just tend to connect words together for simplification … How to name a captain of a steam ship that ships over the Donau?" - of cause it’s the “Donaudampfschifffahrtskaptän”. How to name a law which regulates the labeling of beef? - well, there we have the “Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz” ^^

8 Likes

Exactly… That is what I really wanted to show! Things could be much worse. Thank you for covering for me since I forgot all my German lol!

4 Likes

Ofc there’s the legendary:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

(In Wales)

7 Likes

argh … got that wrong with the location of that town ^^ … lucky me ^^

here how to pronounce it ^^ …

10 Likes

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

8 Likes

I totally agree : /
New planet names are so hard and complicated. What is wrong with Easy-To-Say names ?
For example Serpensarindi could be basically Sarindi :smiley:

so call it Sarindi … everyone will understand which planet you mean :wink:

3 Likes

young Pada 1

Cardassian

3 Likes

Shed a Tear

3 Likes

I quite enjoy the randomly generated names. Some are simple, familiar, and easy to remember. While others can be exotic, seem quite foreign, and can create a sense of wonderment as you might expect when exploring a new universe.

1 Like

Hardass
Shed a tear
Circle puss

4 Likes

How do you call Angel? :wink:

2 Likes

devil :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: hehe

1 Like

You read my mind lol.
It’s like calling your hairy friend “boldy”. :grin: