Planning out building better

Hey guys,
I used to just start building something and see what it would turn out to be but that resulted in me breaking down more than building. I know I should plan my buildings better and my question is how do you guys do it? Are you using programs, planners?

2 Likes

Occasionally I will do a basic sketch of what I want to achieve, but more often than not it’s all in my head and I just go with the flow.

I do tear downs from time to time too, but that’s mainly due to materials/colours not looking as I originally envisioned them

5 Likes

I either use minecraft creative mode or magicvoxel and from youtube i get ideas as well.

3 Likes

I basically build a small version of what I set out to build on a large scale first. I’ll test different block combinations, and settle on some features I want to incorporate beforehand.

Once the main build is underway I do what I set out to, then improvise as I go. I treat most of my builds like sculptures; chip away at them, correct them, remove things I’m unhappy with, and so on - the trial and error is part of the fun, at least for me.

Don’t be afraid to smash a lot of your build down if you’re unhappy with it.

5 Likes

I am always unhappy with them :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh dear build twice O_o you must spend a lot of time building things

2 Likes

More time than I’d like to share…

Each failure is a learning curve though. If you’re not figuring out what works, you’re at least figuring out what doesn’t!

6 Likes

I’m not such an advanced builder to use these planners but Pharoah used “MagicaVoxel” to plan this;

3 Likes

Oh dear, even with a youtube video as a blue print on my dragon statue, I ended up going back and saying. “No, I don’t like this, he’s doing this not how I would, start tearing down and rebuilding. No, I don’t like the wings… after 5 tries, ok. That’s how it would be”

Tearing down and rebuilding, for one teaches you how to get used to building in the game. And well Rome wasn’t build in a day.

4 Likes

it helps me to remember how to build it without needing to look the blueprints all the time. (when i build it to boundless i use the same basics but i slightly modify them. knowing what and how to build save time so i can focus on detailing it). when i plan my buildings i usually min max the size and always try to go for the smallest possible so its easier to build. i also make many different alternatives from the building before i decide which looks the best.

3 Likes

Its a combination of going with the flow and planning for me. Planning part is a simple sketch that helps me realize how many blocks in width and length and height I shall go for to have a desired effect and it also helps use plots efficiently (I started doing that after I built several structures that then required 1 or 2 extra plots to cover a tiny bit sticking out of plotted areas).

The planning part is simply a sheet of paper and a pen/pencil.

1 Like

I’ve started placing my plots first in roughly the shape I want, then free-handing the building inside. My portal building on Berlyn was done this way and I think it turned out wonderfully.

2 Likes

What I do when I build houses I always build just the corners and majors pillars first to see if it is a good size. Cause you can always see what is going to look like without filling in all the walls. Once I have that to my liking I will then fill in all the walls and then start building the next layer of the house. Constantly adding and removing blocks as I go. In boundless I don’t mind messing up cause you level up for building.

If I am building a free forum build like the giant hand I built it the giant face in the mountain I don’t know what I am doing until I am doing it. I am building and fixing over and over. But I am a perfectionist. The more you build the better your skills become and the less you have to plan

4 Likes

I am a minecraft veteran and I used to do a combination of what Miige does and dzchan94. Watch tutorials for hours and then build in creative before putting in a survival server.
I guess I was just hoping for something less time consuming but I realise its part of the fun. On we go chopping and building away :smiley:

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m absolutely not a planner, but look at how well Nisroch turned out. (I built a giant tree worthy enough to be named) if you’d like to see my stuff and how 0 planning and just GOING can work fairly well, I have a portal in Pixel Gate to my place. It’s in the shop area, surrounded by red lustrous wood.

1 Like