Plant/boulder regeneration possibly critical bug?

If what I see around forum is true and just harvesting plants is not triggering world regen than this is critical bug. We who are on forum can dig blocks to trigger it but huge number of oblivious players never will.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this quote (and if not, another post in that thread) is referring to the bug you’re describing, so hopefully it’ll be fixed soon.

3 Likes

In short, because it’s spread on forums, and I’m to lazy to find it all.

NOW:

Regeneration of plants, boulders etc. (NOT including trees and leaves, these are “normal” blocks) is strictly tied to chunk regeneration, and by chunk regeneration I mean setting the blocks in given chunk to it’s original state. After a block is changed in chunk, i.e.: mined, chiselled, tree cut down, put somewhere where there was air, and chunk is not in vicinity (8 chunks? not sure) of any player, timer start counting, when it counts to 13hours (i think it’s 13) undisturbed by any player passing by 3 things happen: Blocks get back to it’s original state. All the ores in stones are randomized (there are rules tided to world distribution and what can be found where, like diamonds needs at least N blocks above them, and be not less than M blocks away from mantle), and then all the surface resources, like boulders, fungi and plants are randomly placed on surface in given chunk, but still according to some rather strict rules (world distribution, etc)

So when no block in chunk is changed… no world regen, no ore regen, no surface plants regen.

IN DEV (on test server already implemented):

Blocks starts to regen after 4 hours pass by. It is not instantaneous, it takes time, so instead of building vanishing, and all the holes being filled, and trees grow in a blink of an eye, it’s a continuous process, and depends on how many blocks where changed. So a big tower will start to crumble from top, a big hole will fill from bottom, and trees will grow up (I’m really freaking exited about this one :star_struck:) . When player enters chunk, regeneration stops, but when he leaves without changing blocks, it resumes. The regeneration needs smaller player-less area: from 8 chunks to I believe 2. And surface resources are independently regenerated from blocks.

This is what I understand how it works now, and how it will work from various posts gathered on forums.

This change should hit servers on the next update or maybe later. It’s not something that can be deployed without thorough testing, so I don’t mind if they test it longer, instead of having buggy implementation on live servers.

One thing I am not really sure. I read that this new regeneration will work only for new planets, because it’s not something you can change in existing planets. But I may be completely wrong, and I connected wrong dots, and that’s about something completely different.

2 Likes

And that for me would be critical bug which lead to plant shortage. How many people when mass gathering are breaking blocks around it?

All of us that read the dev post is my guess, so not many. Which is why I asked it be an entry in a Known Issues stickied thread but no joy so far.

2 Likes

But it does not matter if it is critical or not, writing another topic about it, in the long run does not change anything :wink: It is being known by the development team, it already has been worked on exhaustively, and it is already being tested thoroughly. And will be fixed on live servers (at least for new planets, I really can’t find the post that makes me believe it’s only for new planets) in a day, or week, or couple of weeks at most.

But from every post I read I didn’t see info that gathering will trigger chunk regen timer. Yes, Regan algorithm will change, yes time will change. Will trigger for plant gathering be added?!

EDIT: Found the post, I got it all backwards, search in posts below.

It may take time if you need a proper dev post linked, if you don’t trust my words (although no reason for you to trust me, and I respect that)

1 Like

Missed that. Sorry about it.

The new regen process should be able to be applied to existing servers because we had changes to how regen worked in early access without wipes. I can’t 100% confirm but usually it was only the planet design that could not be changed on existing planets and a few other core things.

**** me. World Regeneration Design Adjustment - #36 by olliepurkiss Sorry I’m really, really sorry. I got it all backwards. Were ****** :frowning:

Yes, resources will only respawn once all the regeneration has completed.

I’ll edit my posts :frowning:

@Stretchious If it’s curse swords out blacked out, why do you edit anyway? Why have a filter if moderator edits your pots anyway? :confused:

Because one of them wasn’t filtered out, so I decided to change both. Nuff said.

1 Like

You’d better work on that filter then, right? :wink:

Discourse needs to work on it I guess :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Where can I find these curse swords, and do they drop fibrous leaves like their desert cousins?

:wink:

4 Likes

To be clear, the last update had changes to the way that regeneration works from a timing point of view, but we didn’t manage to fix the issue described here in time. The fix has now been done, and will be going out as soon as possible, probably next week. The fix will push all current worlds to regenerate if they are stuck in a state on not-regenerating.

8 Likes

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/9749692/cheering-crowd.jpg

Lol I’m taking day off when that happens, gonna gather all the plants muhahahaha

3 Likes

is there going to be plant camping?