Please Help New Mac Book Pros will not work!

I bought boundless Deluxe Sept 14th I enjoyed it so much I got boundless for both of my kids …However they both have New 2017 Mac Book Pros which sounds great but it seems Boundless will not run after making there characters. After the login screen the game crashes on both Mac book pros and then adds 7GB of junk data to the HD every time I try it until it fills the hard drive to the max. I play on a 2013 iMac with no issues. Below is part of the report I sent to Apple from one of there Mac Book Pros. Both have the same problem. I can send the whole thing to an email is there a email I can send the crash report to? I’d really like this game to work on there new Macs…Thanks

Process: boundless [1876]
Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/boundless.app/Contents/MacOS/boundless
Identifier: com.turbulenz.boundless
Version: 1.0 (1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: boundless [1876]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-09-25 18:02:30.062 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G65)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID:
Sleep/Wake UUID:

Time Awake Since Boot: 3700 seconds
Time Since Wake: 3200 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x18:
–>
__TEXT 0000000100c86000-0000000100c8f000 [ 36K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/boundless.app/Contents/MacOS/boundless

Thread 0 Crashed:: MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

(the report is 84300 characters so I’ll need to email the whole thing)

VIRTUAL   REGION 

REGION TYPE SIZE COUNT (non-coalesced)
=========== ======= =======
Accelerate framework 128K 2
Activity Tracing 256K 2
CG backing stores 5372K 4
CG image 336K 6
CoreAnimation 200K 8
CoreGraphics 8K 2
CoreImage 24K 3
CoreUI image data 1156K 9
CoreUI image file 208K 5
Foundation 4K 2
Image IO 256K 2
Kernel Alloc Once 8K 2
MALLOC 1.2G 151
Memory Tag 242 12K 2
OpenGL GLSL 256K 4
Stack 74.6M 53
VM_ALLOCATE 33.2M 65
__DATA 31.9M 294
__FONT_DATA 4K 2
__GLSLBUILTINS 2588K 2
__LINKEDIT 220.8M 18
__TEXT 248.5M 294
__UNICODE 560K 2
mapped file 5.6G 16
shared memory 20.4M 15
=========== ======= =======
TOTAL 7.4G 940

Model: MacBookPro14,1, BootROM MBP141.0178.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core i5, 2.3 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 2.43f6
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640, Built-In
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C, 0x4D
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C, 0x4D
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x170), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37.31.1a9)
Bluetooth: Version 6.0.7f10, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus
USB Device: USB Optical Mouse
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 33.1

1 Like

The junk memory is the laptop storing core dumbs after the game crashes, the core dumps are intended for developers but are no use to you, go to the /cores folder and delete all files inside it to clear up the memory.

As for the crashing theres nothing that can be done about it at the moment, iv been having the same issue since last December, Its some issue with the shaders or something, the developers have said its something apple have to fix so I wont be holding my breath.

Specifically its an issue on macs using intel gpus, crashing due to bugs in apples opengl graphics drivers for intel gpus.

Things have been a bit hectic sorting out other issues effecting ‘all’ players, rather than just mac+intel, but will be trying to work around the issue in near future, but I dont even have a mac to test with at all so is hard for me to just guess what shader is causing issues and what might work-around it.

Thanks for the reply.
I was able to make characters for them on there Mac Book Pros when they first started. Super_Llama and TheDarkStar… The problem seems to happen during login when the screen goes into full screen. Is there a way to force window mode during opening in steam?

If you could upload their game logs (~/Library/Logs/Boundless/log.txt) it would confirm, but assuming it is the same intel-mac crash issue, then it has absolutely nothing to do with going fullscreen.

That you are able to create characters and it crashes when it then goes fullscreen does give some hints as to what shaders are “not” the problem (since everything rendered up until that point in time doesnt cause a crash) though, which is helpful!

ok where do I up load the logs. I have a couple from a couple different mac book pros. Different macs running different OS all crashing during the login of boundless.

If it’s an intel gpu, it’s a known issue with apple’s driver crashing internally, and unless apple fix their bug, we have to try and find a work-around for it.

So why does minecraft, creativerse, unturned, stardew valley, fortnite and many other games work on my Mac Book Pros but your game does not? I’ll take your word for it this must be apples problem.

One of our shaders hits a bug in the driver-internal shader compiler that causes it to just plain crash. Games dont all use the same shaders.

If Mac Book Pro will not work with boundless I’ll just keep playing on other machines for now. Boundless is an amazing game with a massive amount of depth.

Any work around for this yet? I was heading on vacation with my new MacBook Pro and so sad to miss out on Boundless for two weeks.

Do you also have an Intel GPU?

Yup I know that’s the issue - and I’ve updated everything from Apple… so no fix from them.

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

THIS IS A JOKE

The issue is you bought an overpriced MacBook Pro.

As I have stated before; buying an Apple computer to play games is like painting an entire room with a paintbrush instead of a roller. It can be done by why would you? :sunglasses:

That’s pretty harsh - it’s my work computer and I don’t want to take two laptops on my trip.

I did say it was a joke.:grinning: I hear what your saying…but if you are going on vacation why take the work one? Isn’t it a vacation? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry for derailing the thread.

No prob - I misread your “this is a joke” - I wish going on vacation was a complete unplugging but sadly is not. I prefer to work on either Linux or Mac - hate windows for everything but gaming. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Still no fix on this? I have a Mac mini with an i7 processor and once it says logging in it crashes. Thread 0 Crashed