Please slow down plot regeneration!

Please, let me atleast have 2-4 days to save my neighbours bueatifull tree house… hurts waking up and its just gone, in a couple of hours… </3

4 Likes

Yes or plots will be auto-claimed by the warden when beacon run out of fuel.
Or a interaction on the beacon to “opt for claiming” each day when fuel is less than a week

1 Like

Ye i feel like plots that ran out of fuel with a certain amount of prestige should take longer to regenerate.

6 Likes

+1 on this

I think originally the intent was to have regen go slower to do just what you are suggesting. But it created a planet with over 5 million unregened blocks and a shortage of resources. I think when they tweaked the regen to fix the issues with resources, the affect on the builds was they regen just as fast. I believe they would have to change the regen to treat player placed blocks differently and not sure how this might affect the over all regen. Once the beacon is gone, the plots disappear and then there really is no prestige, just player placed blocks. So if a player placed torches while mining, we would not want those to interfere with regen, but we want a build originally covered by a beacon to be handled differently. It could be pretty complicated to figure out from a programming standpoint.

1 Like

I think presence of another beacon should slow down regeneration the closer the blocks are to the plotted land. That way if your neighbour runs out of fuel or if you accidentaly put advanced coils on unplotted floor (happened to me) you wont wake up next day almost rage quitting xD.

I think people should have a chance to raid abandoned builds as well. Give them at least a day or two before regeneration kicks in.

I think it would be cool to see them slowly loose blocks over 2-3 weeks like normal weather ware, would also give new comers something possible to claim and build from, would make for possible interesting avenues.

Is there a way to make the beacons have a second state between active and inactive? Basically protecting it from instant regen, but then beginning a slow process of losing blocks?

Larger structures take longer, and higher prestige blocks take longer to deteriorate? Almost like durability to weather? @james

I wish I knew enough about programing to know some stuff, such as I don’t know if it would be possible, but it would be nice that if there were beacons that when it ran out of fuel there would be a grace period of a few hours. Not days, players have enough of a warning in my opinion. But for those who have a family emergency and planned to get online Monday as they were going to run out of fuel on Wed and something happens and they don’t make it till late Wed night they don’t find everything gone, destroyed and adding icing to the cake of being cleaned out of all their stuff, their land has been taken over by regen.

Felt sorry for the kid (guessing age from remarks and actions) when he popped inside my base and asked me how long had I been playing and was the game PvP. Asked why and he said he had returned to his base to find it destroyed. Beacon was destroyed, all his stuff gone and his base broke up. Asked him if he had run out of fuel and he said, yeah, he got a notice but thought it would just stay there until he could get to it.
nope, policy is that when a beacon runs out of fuel it is fair for anyone to take what is there, the policy is that if you didn’t add fuel, you were abandoning, quitting as you had plenty of warning. So, anyone can take your stuff and see as fair.
Goes, okay, makes sense. He had no food, no tools as lost them all in trying to stay alive from the spitters attacking him. Felt sorry for him so gave him some stuff, showed him where to find the info needed to restart. Jumping up and down like a jumping bean over a few items and some food. Just helping someone out, the right thing to do.
Anyhow, couldn’t it be programed so that there was a 12 hr or longer period from where a beacon is located before regen started to give more time for players to get to their stuff? Losing torches is totally different from losing the underground base you were adding on and didn’t realize you hadn’t plotted that section yet to keep it from regen and lost a beacon and items.

I have my eye on a few smoking beacons at any given time and some of them I will check before bed and they’re smoking and wake up and the plot is nearly regenerated. So even if you wanted to make the experience fun for the looters the regen is ruining it for them too. Basically no one gets what they want when bases regen in the span of a nap.

My suggestion would be that regen must make a successful roll before replacing player blocks with regular terrain. A low percent chance of success based on the block’s prestige, with a bonus to the roll for every regenerated block adjacent.

So the empty space will fill in first and then slowly start eating away at the edges of a build. Expired bases will be swallowed up like ruins and then slowly digested. It offers little protection to the rogue torch with low prestige.

This algorithm seems easily calculable since all it needs to know is the prestige of the current block and the regen status of the adjacent blocks. So hopefully not too hard to implement.

Finally, it may give new players one last warning as they wake up and find that their basement is filling in with dirt but their stuff is still there if they dig it back out.

1 Like

I understand your point, but where do you draw the line for how long it should take before regen starts once the beacon has expired? 1 hour, 12 hours, 2 days, 1 week? The issue is there are always going to be cases where someone honestly could not log in to refuel their beacons. Right now my gaming PC has a dead hard drive so until it get fixed, I do have some exposure. If the player in your example had a few more hours they might have been ok, but I might need 2 days and someone else might need a week before they can log in. It is unfortunate, but I think a necessary part of the game. In EA the planets were overrun with small and half completed builds. Beacons had been added after the game started so all players were given 6 months of fuel on every beacon to start. It was actually amazing when the 6 months ran out to see just how many builds that had been crowding up the planets were not actively being used by players.

The game provides notification that your beacon is expiring. It also provides visual clues. I personally do not think they should start extending the time before regen starts. Either the beacon fuel time means something or it does not. Will my opinion on this comeback to bite me at some point? probably, but I still think it is in the best Interest of the game.

As far as builds regening at a slower rate than non-player placed blocks, this could be very hard to do for the developers. If I flatten a hill and then build there, what happens when the regen starts? Sure the player placed blocks take time but the hill will regen at a quicker rate, so does that mean the build is now buried inside the hill? You cannot change the rate for the natural blocks or you hit all the resources and that is why the regen was not working before. it was taking too much time and we had resource shortages.

Since I have no computer knowledge, hit a wrong button, and don’t know which one, and go okay, what did I do now? And yell for my son type of problems are always cropping up with me. He comes in and pushes one button and goes you owe me $50. Smart aleck LOL

I would go with a max of 12 hours, if it is even possible to do so. And not stop players from looting, just the blocks from taking over, a delay where there is a beacon. There is no perfect answer, and probably no solution, just, mainly on my part, wishful thinking that hopefully it can be possible.
The kid in my example I suspect bought the deluxe version and didn’t realize that in a month the gleam club ran out and he would need to add fuel. Or renew his membership. He learned his lesson the hard way. I forgot and didn’t renew mine and my son’s and he was playing a new game and didn’t have time to go to one of our outposts. We lost what we had on that level 4 planet I am sure. We kept getting notices, our fault, no one else’s that the beacon’s ran out of fuel, even if I can’t handle a planet above level 2 it is still our responsibility to keep fuel in it, if we can’t that is just our bad luck.
Don’t have a answer, just wishful thinking, hoping, dreaming I guess. Don’t know a thing about computers, programing, game development, so don’t know what is possible and what isn’t.

1 Like

I think the issue is also plots and not just the beacon. The beacon really only occupies one plot in a build the rest is player placed plots (I know you understand all this but it helps me to lay it all out). So when the beacon expires the plots all return to the owner. Some people may be wanting the beacon to expire in order to recover plots as it can be very time consuming to recover a lot of plots one at a time and letting the beacon expire is much faster. So if the beacon expires and the plots are gone how will the game know which blocks to mark as should decay slower? I guess it can mark them the second before the beacon expires so it can tell what was part of the build and what was not.

I just think we need to consider we would be asking the developers to set up two different regen protocols, one for non-player placed blocks and one for player placed blocks. I still think there is an issue when you have an intersection of the two (such as removing a hill and then building there where you now have non-player placed and player placed). I think we want where we mine to regen like it does not even if a player places torches so player removed, resource blocks and player placed all need to regen according to the current process.

That’s not claimed land expiring, though. That’s a different case.

Maybe if they could program it to where the player plots still work the same, but there is basically a neutral plot replacement where the player plots were, in order to have like a “temp” save of the block structure and in these neutral plots the placed blocks decay and regen much slower.

We can’t have it both ways, guys. Either the worlds regenerate fast enough that there isn’t scarcity or they give more time for plots to sit abandoned.

1 Like

It does help lots of times to think of the process, even if all involved understand what is going on, so no problem there.
The beacon is only “protecting” that one area, when it expires, you get everything back (land wise), and it would be impossible to keep track of how many plots each player has, that would take too much to expect for developers to keep track of.
Even though we all know that the beacon is the anchor, the plots are basically the extension and when the anchor goes, so goes the extensions.
I was thinking whole. It may be a whole base, but it is made up of parts. I put down my first plots, then as my base grew and I earned more cubits I was able to add more plots, which enlarged the area. Later more is added, going up and under the ground.
It would be impossible for the system to keep it all organized in what I see as the w’s. Who got what, when and where. And most players aren’t going to even think of that, we are going to react emotionally, not logically to how can the programing know what I have and where it is located? I know I am over simplifying it, the game knows because it can tell me how many plots I have. But I think you all know what I am meaning. Too much info to expect the devs to spend time creating a program to keep records for them. Easiest for them so they can focus on more important aspects of the game. And I have lost some good loot, locations, equipment and things of value while I decided what to do about my beacons running out of fuel, cut my losses, renew my membership, badger my son to go to those bases and refuel them? Decisions, decisions; boils down to the one factor many don’t want to face, we, the players, have to be responsible and accept the consequences of events. If we want the desired loot to respawn quickly, we have to accept that our plots will regenerate quickly also when the beacon runs out of fuel.
I don’t know why the OP’s neighbor isn’t able to refuel his beacon, which will keep his plots from regenerating, but we can’t have it both ways. If we want the needed items to regen quickly, we lose in other areas.
There is no easy answer to such events.
Sorry to be so long.

1 Like

I agree it is different, but they both use the same regen process. What we would be asking is for the developers to set up two different regen processes and find a way for them to co-exist without creating other issues. Is this worth the time? The answer to that probably depends on the player.

Regen overall has been slowed down. Remember it is a per chunk basis which is 2x2 plots. In most cases if you are in the area within a reasonable amount of time you should be able to claim areas and fix anything that might have been removed. Regen has been pushed to much longer than the usual 8-12 hours we had. So we should be happy with the new design.

It is very important that we do not extend regen too far overall. The feature is much more important than someone’s build because it is linked to so many other areas of the game. We have plenty of warning that a beacon is about to go away.

Take screen shots and recreate the build parts that have gone away. Easy answer…

maybe make added blocks regen slower than removed blocks? But please don’t mess up the resource region :S

My solution would be after a beacon expires the plots remain for X hours but are 100% public/neutral at that point.

Anybody can loot or plot-override claim them.

1 Like