Please tweak 'hard as nails'

After trying this out, it doesn’t seem to make all that much difference.

Maybe I was just expecting too much, but I was expecting a bit more protection, especially at the expense of durability.

Maybe it just need a couple more level added to it?

I think it knocks off 1 durability per hit?

If that’s the case, perhaps a way to balance would be to scale the wear with the level?

Level 1 50 points of protection 1 wear
Level 2 100 points of protection 2 wear
Level 3 150 points of protection 3 wear
Level 4 200 points of protection 4 wear
Level 5 250 points of protection 5 wear

1 Like

Question, with the skill pages, what would be the maximum of protection points you’d have? I’m at work so I can’t check it myself :frowning:

From what I see in the data files, “Hard as Nails” gives:

Level 1: 20 Kinetic Armor + 20 Impulse Armor
Level 2: 50 Kinetic Armor + 50 Impulse Armor
Level 3: 100 Kinetic Armor + 100 Impulse Armor

So a level 3 buff gives equivalent armor as 4 skill points in kinetic armor and 4 skill points in impulse armor. So one way to look at it is that it frees up 8 skill points for other uses. I only find armor skills valuable on mid-level planets (it’s great for T3 and T4, with decreasing usefulness as we go to T5 and T6, and useless for T7).

This seems reasonable to me if we consider this boon as targeted toward low- to mid-level players (armor skills are great for them, and also they could really use the extra skill points to spend elsewhere).

For max-level players, hopefully the intent is to introduce real armor. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Forgot to mention. As a player using iron or titanium tools, I would be totally fine with this boon using up durability on my iron or titanium slingbows or grapples. But, there’s no way I would ever sacrifice durability on my forged gem bows or grapples for this armor. This is another reason why I think it’s a good fit for players at the iron/titanium tech level.

Please tweak ‘hard as nails’

I read that all wrong. But I think I’m going to pull through.

5 Likes

Just checking you realise it already does use up durability?

And it can’t go on grapples, just slings or fists?

I’ve been trying it out on off hand fists, forging them with max light and loot and hard as nails 3.

So no sacrifice on my weapon, and i would have been carrying a loot stick anyway.

You’re correct that it make no difference really on the upper tiers (kinda why I suggest another couple of levels, and the extra dura use for ‘balance’), but on a t4 with my sniper (no defence stats) I could solo lvl 1 meteors relatively unhurt.

So that works quite well.

Yes please!

Yes.

For some reason I thought I read it could go on grapples too. Thanks for pointing that out.

For me, if I have a weapon in one hand, then usually I have a max-forged grapple in the other. There are probably some situations where I could use a less costly off-hand weapon as a “shield”. Probably not often enough to justify the extra inventory slot though.

A lootstick that lets you free up a few skill points? I hope this continues to be a thing. It’d be quite cool if the future of Boundless meant crafting/getting specific gear pieces and adjusting your build accordingly.

1 Like

I hate when my MDMA gets cut with methamphetamines.