Poison status effect

Grapples disengaging is only minor obstacle. We still have terrain to use or we can build towers and dig pits. It’s ok.

As for emerald sling: it is not a good primary weapon - obviously, its not good to have it as your only gem weapon against high tier mobs. Unless you are very patient.
It is a very useful support weapon though, so pair it with your ruby and diamond and topaz and amethyst slingbows. It makes a beautiful (and long lasting) secondary sling.

2 Likes

@boundmore saw the video, nice and funny :smiley:

against strong wildstocks it is surely good and “massive” on ice as you can aggro more packs all together and still kill them all, so the damage formula gets like [(500 every few seconds)x(number of poisoned mobs)] with no risk of death, against normal to strong mobs it’s super-effective, like a levelling weapon

the only way i found it to be a little bit of good use in more competitive situations (always referring to soloing meteorite lvl2 in a T3 world) it’s to poison the whole meteorite wave and than switch to spphire and kill them while the poison do his job… but instead of making it easier and safer, it’s just more dangerous as you get the aggro of all the mobs

I was just writing this down when you posted that :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I tried using emerald sling with topaz backup in a hunt but it was really bad, I tried to out put as much damage but the hunt went really bad because the mods weren’t dying as fast. I think emerald could be good at tagging but you have to use something like diamond to compensate for the lack of damage.

1 Like

it would be nice something like if the poison status and it’s damage could be related to successive damage done by other slings of the same character…
to make an example:

monster X has been poisoned by Tara, nobody else can poison that monster, poison will do a dot damage like it is now;
than Tara switch to another sling and everytime he hit that monster, the damage will gain an aggravation bonus, that can be a +5%dmg
hitting again with poison the same monster will just rennovate poison duration (once reached the maximum poison stacks)
also other people will gain +5% damage against a monster poisoned by somebody else

this could open the way for a poisoner role during group hunt, as he will try to poison as many mobs as possible and do that again to renovate it

cause poison is difficult to balance even with centraforge for various reasons (wich, shortly, take us to why in most of games poison skills are something apart and are never related to spike/concentrated damage skills)

[edit: changed the name of the thread in a more fitting one]

2 Likes

I would like to see the poison dot damage increase the longer you leave it on without refreshing the dot. There for giving the poison an awesome behavior and placing poison on the same page with the rest of the slings.

3 Likes

wouldn’t it be too much? you would just cut out all the fun - i mean… than you really just hit and build a cosed tower and gg :stuck_out_tongue:

i was thinking about a combo, like you put poison on the skin of the monster and then push it with kinetical damage :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

True, you can definitely do that at the expense of your time. Imagine a diamond wheelding badarse nuking everything but you also take quite a lot of damage but the fight is over in seconds.

Being a dot sneeky/agile fighter hit mobs run away/stay hidden/build rinse and repeat. <- this style would take a longer to clear mobs but it would be safer.

Right now mobs die too fast for poison to be useful. Burst is the meta, I can see poison being included in the rotation once bosses get added.

lol i m a sneeky/agile fighter with diamond/sapphire sling - run, charge shoot, hide charge shoot, jump on tree charge shoot, run grapple charge shoot

but that s the point in wich i think i m mising something :stuck_out_tongue:
@Rumplypigskin you r the one that initiated me to hunting, help me understanding :smiley:
i found poison to be effective killing low tier mobs, but absolutely not on mighty/elite, while you say that mobs die too fast… are you referring to low tier mobs or am i missing something that makes the poison a good choice?

2 Likes

gahhhh… well… I guess I’ll wait to see what happens.

haha yep its the only sling i use in the hunting group. i have no need to deal damage, everyone else does :smiley: Even elite cuttles are dead before my purple bar runs out on most hunts.
As far as solo, I run away from meteors. its too bad thats what causes more to spawn lol. but if I encounter mobs or if meteor cuttles won’t leave me alone then I poison everyone then pick them off with my ruby sling. sometimes I have diamond but I gotta get up close ofc. most times though I poison them and keep running lol

ha! not with my Sapphire grapples :sob:

hmm :thinking: I’m pretty sure you’re getting that aggro from the sapphire…
like I was saying, I only use the emerald sling in group hunts and the only time I see red dots on the compass (when that mob is aggro’d on you) is when I’m the first one to the meteorite or if i’m directly under the portal when they spawn.
As soon as someone does more damage than my poison has, they switch aggro. The only other time I get hit in group hunts is from the random wildstock targets or area damage.
as long as I can heal myself from that, it’s a pretty good tactic for me.

3 Likes

I love hanging in a tree, or built pole, and putting a dot on an entire heard of angry wilds below me. You use far less wear if your patient.When they are all aggroed by my ruby bow and under me, then you can mass spread the poison with a couple shots. It only takes a few rounds of poison to do the trick. Or you can shoot 50 times with the other bows and wear them out faster.

Hanging in a tree and mass poisoning while soloing is worth the 7 minutes. because your 7 minutes can wipe an entire herd of elites.

3 Likes

no, ok…

i’m comparing emerald sling and the others sling directly,
i also already stated that in group hunt it’s a very good weapon as you soften the entire wave while others go dps, kill and finishes them

while soloing you run away from meteors? you mean you don’t do meteorite hunting when soloing?

I fear if they raised the poison more, it would be OP and need nerfing. I think it could be higher against the higher tiers though. Either way we need to wait until forge. It will change everything and we Will have to start form ground zero about balance on everything.

It’s not even worth complaining about stuff now until forge comes out. Okay, maybe about the wear on the machines lol.

3 Likes

:joy: what I’m saying is I don’t hunt solo :stuck_out_tongue: but I still have to protect myself because mobs are always attacking me unless I’m in my base which i’ve claimed a certain large enough area, I don’t see a single mob.

ahhh. :blush:

–actually I guess I do hunt, I hunt wildstock. I find a large herd of wildstock, build a ~9 block pillar, grapple to the top while standing on it, then hang off and break the rest of the blocks.
this gives me a perfect aerial view of the entire herd crowding below me, this is when I’ll use ruby if I see any strays and invite them to the party and employ my usual tactic. Poison!
And if it’s taking a while or if they are elite then I’ll pull out the diamond and grapple up or down so I can get the maximum damage on as many moose as I can and rinse repeat once the poison runs out :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would consider this a Rambo style which works fine in both solo and group play because you have burst and you can kill mobs really fast. Now if you look at group play for a dot damage like poison, group play is fine but is really weak in solo play.

You’re right, poison is still a gem weapon so low tier mobs are easy to kill. But again when you encounter tier 4 or above mobs and is a solo encounter it will be a lot tougher being a dot damage dealer than a burst.

The reason why I say mobs die too fast for poison to be useful is that if you use poison in a group instances the ticks will out live the mob is most cases with all them burst damage dealers out there. But in solo instances the mobs(tier 4 or above) die too slow so you’re force to spam poison shots instead of letting the dots do the work or use a burst backup weapon.

I am not saying poison makes a good choice, on the contrary. It renders the dot useless in my opinion, until mobs with higher health are introduce were you can tag them with poison=> switch to burst gems until dot is over=>switch and tag them with poison again.

What I was suggesting was a increase in damage. The longer you leave the dot on a mob the more damage it does. That way it makes using a poison sling relevant in solo play, for group play the dot will still outlive the tier 4 + mobs so a debuff on mobs would make poison useful.

Hope that made sense :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I m tryng to switch the conversation to from to looking straight to the centraforge

i’m stating that any weapon dealing damage AND applyng poison would be OP,
comparing the experience of/in other games: directly applyng a status effect with damage over time - like burn and poison is a skill that doesn’t apply also damage like any other direct damage skill (averagely they don’t do direct damage at all
but they do make possible to start some ind of combo

for example:
-if you inflict poison, the monster is also “weaken” so it will take more damage from other direct damage
-if you inflict burn and you hit him with an ice element weapon it will be blinded (like if there was vapour) or takes more dmg
-if you inflict freeze the mob is kinda “creepled” so it will be more controllable via grapple
-if you… bla bla bla

this wouldn’t change the mechanic for wich you can poison an enemy and just wait for him to die - i wouldn’t do it as i’m a

hunter and i would tend to fall asleep while playng with this tecnique :joy:

also i think it’s nice what @Rumplypigskin said

like a scaling poison dmg?
4 stacks base dmg is 500
10 stacks base dmg is 650
20 stacks base dmg is 800
35 stacks …950
and players can stack poison on other players stacks

i’m sure this topic, overhall, could be of no interest at all or, if possible, can point the attention to something we could like to see ingame

2 Likes

I don’t know if I like dot stacking multiple poison dots from multiple people. I suggest incremental ticks but only one type of dot per mob so is not OP.
1st damage tick + projectile damage 500(weak)
2nd damage tick 800
3rd 1000
4th 1700
5th 3000
But if you hit the target again with the same dot it resets the tick incremental damage modifier so it would be of your best interest NOT to spam hits.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I do :laughing:

2 Likes

clear and nice!

@ctrl-64 and @GreyArt247 2018 hunters of the year :joy:

3 Likes

Hmmm just a thought - how would you guys feel if they changed poison to be a % of total hp? The same way that falling and drowning are at the moment but probably less than drownig %

That way the actual shot dmg is the main score against low tiers, while dot scales to become significant against high tier mobs - say on par with other slings at lvl 4 and slightly stronger on elites?

4 Likes

How would that relate to bosses? Let’s say something with 500k HP? It would be the go to for fighting bigger mobs.

3 Likes