Poll: If Rentable Planets came out tomorrow

… and you could afford to rent one, which access level would you set for your planet?

(Whitelist meaning that only people that you select can do those things)

• Closed to public
  • Open to public with no restrictions
  • Open to public with whitelist plotting
  • Open to public with whitelist mining/block breaking
  • Open to public with whitelist for both
  • Modified rules (not linked to public universe)

0 voters

3 Likes

just checking out post ill stay away from rented worlds i love to be in the public worlds gives me more satisfaction if we achieve something
also need to meet strangers make friends and see what the troll off the week did
lol keeps me amused :smile:
so i will not vote on this let people choose that want this :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Lol, that’s fine, I forgot to add an option so it’s reset.

Why can’t you meet strangers in private worlds? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:
Counter of people that wouldn’t rent a planet anyway: 2 (@the-moebius, @fidach)

Editing here because I don’t know if editing the original post without changing the poll would reset it >.>

ah maybe ya can then thought it was more a server to build stuff where others cant go
i thought dev’s wrote somewhere how it will work not sure where and when though

Only the modified planets can’t have portals to the regular universe :stuck_out_tongue:
(Like tier 1 with all gems and stuff like that)

if planet does have acces to regular universe you just choose who can build there?
with no beacons?

Still need plots and beacons to build.

Well, you can build anywhere but it regens like normal worlds :stuck_out_tongue:

its just acces that controlled then?

Yep, like if you want you could set up so people need approval before being allowed to place a beacon, things like that.

Kinda like plot permissions.

Or you could let anyone do whatever if you wanted, too.

There should be the same kind of permissions we currently have in beacons. Like

• Can place / destroy blocks
  • Can enter the world
  • Can place beacons and add plots

As far as I’ve understood, the info isn’t really recent so there might be changes, and don’t quote me on the exact permissions the worlds will have.

ah that would not fit for me feels like cheating for me cause you could build epic city’s totally controlled but the non renters have to deal with trolls unused beacons etc
would like to see how it would be fair towards a non renting player
that wants to run a big town will people still wonna help him our would they prefer to go to the rented server
i keep an eye on the discussion here hehe
very interesting subject

I have this in another game I play and it works well.

One person starts/builds/buys the place, builds what they want, places some things that others might like, then invites people.

You can give perms so that people can add blocks only, remove blocks, add/remove workbenches/machines or not, invite others, blacklist turds, etc. You can give blanket perms to regions if you wish, etc. Works great. And everyone can still visit the “game play” public planets.

1 Like

Sounds like trove. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You forgot an option, just because I can afford one, doesn’t mean I would pay for it.

Your poll assumes that everyone would want to rent one if they could, so the poll is a little skewed.

1 Like

Well, it’s more of a kind of filtering than a skewed sample.

I’m curious to see what types of permissions people would set for their rented planets (because its an issue that came up a lot in a different topic) if they had one, so if they wouldn’t rent one either way, there would be no reason for taking their vote :stuck_out_tongue:

Not really, is like polling everyone in America about the Mexican border wall, and the only options you give are ‘we pay’ or ‘they pay’.

Or polling everyone in the UK about be Brexit, and the only options are ‘deal’ or ‘no deal’, there no ‘stay in’ option.

The data becomes irrelevant because it is so biased.

1 Like

Another one I play, you can allow ppl in, but they can’t touch/move/add anything. I don’t really care for that set-up.

I know some ppl would set all permissions to zero lol…if they rent the planet, and it pays for the server space/bandwidth, I guess that would be their prerogative :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve already spoken in depth about rental servers, so if anyone really cares what I had to say those essays are in my history somewhere.

Short version though would be modified rules closed from the public universe and I’d have it open to anyone who wanted to join/play just like the ARK servers I use to run.

For example a few key changes I would make to the games files is increase base plot size, increase drop rates, decrease work to get drops. However this is my favorite part, I’d also enable buildings to take damage and I’d ramp up the damage all mobs do, significantly.

It caters to a specific play style I found that a certain group of players enjoy. Easy to gather mats, hard to survive world. It makes for a very fulfilling long term experience. My ARK servers usually had a 6 month life cycle where we would have a big finale event and then wipe the server and people would get tools to restart the new server cycle commiserate with the work they had put in to prior so while they don’t start off where they left off they have a bit of a stepping stone to boost off of. I did that for 3 years before real life got to be too much to manage that server any longer.

Boundless would fit in to the same idea even better than ARK did. So while I don’t play as often now, I’m patiently waiting for when rental servers become a thing.

2 Likes

If the question is “What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?” you wouldn’t add “I prefer to eat steak” to the poll. It’s irrelevant data if you want to evaluate the popularity of ice cream flavors, not of ice cream itself. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

They should basically be just like normal servers but you have to ask the owner before you can place beacons… that’d be awesome.

Maybe sponsored is a better word than rental if it’s connected to the actual Boundless universe.

I’d say most people would want others to come play on their servers though… just not the ones who do dumb stuff like plot randomly in your city with bad intent.

1 Like