Portal Booster

My suggestion is for a Portal Booster. The idea is to extend the range (50-100% increase) of a portal while maintaining the same oort shard/portal configuration requirement. Functionally, I see this as being a durable item that would require a slot in the portal UI. I would expect the material cost to be extremely high as the benefit of the Booster would be significant. I would put the material cost on the order of a Crysominter Coil masscraft per Portal Booster.

2 Likes

You mean distance?

So basically something a long the lines of "long range, coil powered portal’? If it was possible technically, it would be cool for sure.

Another twist on this, is maybe we could just have ‘portal coils’ which allow us to:
a) increase range
b) increase duration oort shards fuel for (would take the place of ichor I guess?)
c) increase range and duration of shards (these should be stupidly expensive to create and a status symbol more than anything)

I guess depending on the lifespan of these coils it may be seen as more maintenance than dealing with shards now? I’m not sure. There would be some math for devs to work out there.

New item recipes always get a vote in my book though!

2 Likes

I meant range. All portal have a range of distances they can connect to. Distance is point to point.

Edit: if you wanted to look at it as an Increase to Maximum connectable distance = range.

Ahahah gotcha, we talking about the same thing :smirk::+1:

1 Like

I’m possibly fine with people having some type of asset or setup that lets you extend smaller portals farther but it would have to be at the same Oort cost per blinksec that already exists.

At this point I have not seen any good enough reasons to personally sway me to that the blinksec/Oort cost is not balanced correctly. Instead I feel people are too attached to portals can causing their own pain around this which results in continues posts trying to find a way around the current balance and design.

I was thinking more so a more direct connect from lower tier planets to higher tier planets. Basically, a T1/2 to a T5/6.

Edit: this idea has limited utility for a 1x2 portal if the required oort shards scale as a 2x2 portal already exists. And really, who would put a nearly 800k power booster on a 1x2 local portal.

1 Like

Ahh that helps a bit for me to understand. Considering how people can easily regen cheat to get pretty much any resource in the game I would still be honestly against it unless like I said the Oort cost is the same per blinksec. So if you are jumping 100 blinksec then you would spend whatever that would cost plus the expensive activation of the portal.

Yes please, I wanna portal straight to Norkyna! :smiley:

I do think if this will be implemented it will be better to have the amount of portal conduits and thus amount of oort as a portal without this booster, otherwise we could use a 1x2 to jump to way more planets than normal for the price of 1 shard/hour.

Hmmm, unless we want that of course… Kinda sounds perfect too, it means it increases the range of the smaller portals and thus still can save you oort as well in the end…

:joy: You’re funny Xalda!

2 Likes

For something that seems to more or less offer a 50% reduction on fuel costs, that is not costly enough in my book, unless it breaks modestly fast, cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced.

For the 1%ers that might not seem like a lot. But the mats for 1 mass craft of minter coils is a lot to casual players. And that would only make 1 portal booster. However I’d say it’s a pipe dream to see anything change with how portals work.

That is less then the „3% beautiful women“ that Rudy from Alpha Investments keeps referring to.

Maybe, but if it is a item that never wears out, then ultimately it won’t matter. Exo world gems, will sooner or later become cheaper and cheaper. so while short term it may seem like a modest amount, long term, that can change.

I am a solo player and I consider that to be a large investment that is fairly equal to the benefit. Considering how long it would take me to go through 800k in rough oort for a 1x2 portal, it is not really a sensible application for short distances.

Edit: I probably could have just said I agreed with you. We did get a minor change with the amalgam, but I wont hold my breath on this happening.