Portals lagging and crashing game

When I try to go through some portals, my character won’t go through them, and continuing to try will cause my game to lag and eventually crash. Sometimes, it will also cause my pc to hang and I’m forced to reboot it. This has been happening since the latest update, and I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to fix it.

1 Like

Please send in any crash dumps.

If its hanging the PC it maybe a driver issue so check your graphics drivers are up to date…

The graphics driver stuff sounds like the typical. Blah blah, but i had this issue, and after update it not happened again. (old laptop with ati thingy)

Can we have the option to remove the cap of four rendered portals?

I doubt that would work very well for the PS4.

Make it a PC only option?

2 Likes

Can we also get the old portal functionality optinally back, where it started loading from further away.

2 Likes

I believe the limit is to help server performance. I recently saw a conversation with a developer that touched on it. Mentioned that the majority of data traffic either between clients and servers or the servers themselves is chunk data (ie loading chunks through portals.)

I can no longer walk through the PS or P.U.R.E network without waiting in front of every portal. Very very very annoying. Even more so if a cuttle aims at you.

That was one of the coolest features of the game, the smooth portal mechanics.

Does this surprise anyone? Players going through shopping portals is probably the most resource intensive thing and it’s pretty common for people to do. Removing the render limit wouldn’t affect the servers either since it’s just a limit on how many portals to keep in memory after they’ve looked through them. No large amounts of chunk data would be passed after it’s already loaded, just kept in the game memory.

The portal loading time is longer too, not just the distance it starts loading at. Before the patch I could walk with a 0 agi character straight for the left portal in the sanctum and not bump in to it, ever. Now it has never loaded before I reach it.

1 Like