Power coil sweet spot

Is there suggested ‘sweet spot’ for the number of power coils above what is needed for a recipe? I have some maxed out machines (or mostly maxed out) but I wanted to have a few machines set up for specific recipes that might only need say 1000 power. But, I want to take advantage of spark too.

18 coils take the same amount of time crafting as 24. But there’s still spark benefit from the 24. So I’d suggest using 24 on machines that you use for things like compacting coal or making marble/mosaic.

Also 24 on the forge as that’s how you get the most out of it.

Well, in a perfect world (or a world with a sugar daddy, lol) I could do max power coils for all machines. I was hoping there was a point of diminishing returns where I could justify not maxing out but still get a good chunk of usefulness.

Huh … I’ve gone for a vertical layout on my compactor and they don’t all seem to connect, did I do something wrong?

It’s the same on the other side(s).

1 Like

There’s a limit of 24 coils per machine, so if you have them on all sides (and access the machine from the top/bottom), then you likely have too many.

3 Likes

the sweet point depends on how much power is required for a given recipe

so for none-power recipes I find 8 power coils just fine
for low power 10-12
for medium power (1200-2000) I would go for 14-18 power coils

best is 24 on each machine and I have 4 machines of each type with maxed power
but I still do quite a lot of crafting on smaller set-ups I have around my base, with 4-8 power coils each

2 Likes

Excellent knowledge to have!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

There are several threads about this, but tbf i just got home and don’t have a link handy right now. IIRC:

Your absolute number of coils doesn’t matter, the ‘sweet spot’ is personal. After 12 coils above the recipe requirement, decreases in time/spark cost are very small. At 16 coils above the recipe requirement, they’re unnoticeable.

So if all you ever craft is low level, low spark recipes you may never have a use for a 17th coil. However if you are crafting deco items and higher end props/blocks, even at 24 coils you won’t be able to “max out” the curve.

The exception is the forge which, ofc, requires 24 coils to operate at full efficiency.

2 Likes

I’ve found that when extracting essence after 12 coils it’s kinda pointless . In a lot of instances when you get to “end game” they lose a lot of purpose. I run 20 or 30 extractors pretty much constantly on large fossils. Saving 5 mins on a 2hr craft really doesn’t matter.

I mean, they are all coiled up because I ran out of things to do with the sapphire but sometimes just building more machines is as good as adding more coils

2 Likes

you can have max 24 coils per machine, exception are chrysominter with 8 coils and i mean pigment processor has a limit from 8 too

thats true, but if you mass craft a lot, than are 24 a must have i think

i have 12 workbench/compactor/refinery/mixer/extractor each full with 24 coils
and i think i will expand to 24 in the next time :joy: so often i use all 12 ref with 30 mass crafts

I use always full coil, i like to save time and spark, still if it no so much

and it is not so hard to go mining for 2-3 hours to make some coils

here a short overview
marble (power needed 800, adv. coils=300)
24coils - 2338spark
16coils - 2341spark
12coils - 2409spark
6coils - 3328spark
3coils - 4780spark (minimum you can go with adv. coils)

1 Like

Not sure i wanna be a sugar daddy, but how many coils do you need. Got a lot sat about doing nothing

3 Likes

I’m currently getting everything together to make a mass essence crafting area, was gonna go 10 on each but do you think I’d be better with 12? If so shouldn’t be too much more work lol

Depends on the design for the machine area. 12 is easier most time because you can do rows of 3 or 4, but not 5 coils

It would lower craft times a little but ultimately the time it takes is that long you will just leave them overnight anyway

1 Like

You['re very sweet, but I was just teasing about he sugar daddy thing. I don’t mind putting in the time to earn what is needed :))

3 Likes

Lots of data in this thread Power Coils and Crafting Time

As others have said, it depends a lot on what you are crafting. If the starting power requirement is higher (the min power required to make the item), then you will see more benefit from more power… but if it is a very low power required item then you can get away with less power and get the same results (time and spark reduction amount).

3 Likes

For most recipes spark is cheap. So don’t worry too much about maxing coils.
If you have too many coils you can always sell them back, so there’s no real loss in having too many coils. So don’t worry too much about having too many coils. There’s not actually a coil cost. If i buy a 1000c coil, and don’t want it anymore, I can just sell it to someone else for 1000c. It’s not 1000c down the drain, just 1000c being lent to the coil.
Some people don’t like repairing their machines, that’s a reason to have fewer coils.
As many said in thread above, sweet spot is personal.

1 Like

Maybe that’s why I read the various threads and still end up with a headache :wink: Cause there’s no good answer :wink: I am jsut having fun setting up little mini-stations that just do one thing. Not for logic but because it’s fun. I’d like to make it at least somewhat sensible though :wink:

For this the answer to max the benefits is:

• The number of coils required to perform the task
  • Plus 16 additional coils

You can see charts on some of the linked pages. By the 16th coil the decreases per coil are pretty small so a lot of people stop sooner.

3 Likes

I invested in some bejeweled spanners … DadManMoon would be proud! :blush: