Prestige going down placing natural blocks. Is that correct?

thanks. no more landscaping for me. lol. What a stupid mechanic. Leave it at “Zero” Prestige not “Minus” Prestige.

10 Likes

Yeah, everyone thinks so.

7 Likes

I think it has to do with the “natural” blocks percentage. So you don’t gain prestige by plotting a bunch of the ground. But zero works just as well for not gaining.

Someone has said that it affects the overall multiplier of the build. If you chisel them (or the block under them) it might offset it. They both affect the prestige multiplier differently

If you’re after prestige then best to probably landscape using a :poop: pile of gleam :joy:

4 Likes

Gleam trees can look pretty nice!

3 Likes

True, I have seen some nice ones

1 Like

I have an icy blue one with spark links growing out of it :face_with_raised_eyebrow: might have to do with the soil pollution.

1 Like

Natural blocks do have a zero prestige score. It’s multipliers that drop your score by using lesser blocks.

If all you care about is prestige, you don’t need natural blocks. If all you care about is a build that looks good, don’t worry about prestige.

3 Likes

The problem is prestige controls warden and we know how upset people get about keeping the name of their settlement.

3 Likes

This is one of the wonky areas. I love to use and build with all sorts of natural things. You unfortunately need to counter balance it with prestige blocks. I recommend burying them, to keep the visual intact.

1 Like

it’s a bummer but I will never stop using natural blocks. that is one aria I think for sure could use a little adjustment.
i will defanetly try chissling the underside of the 800+ dirt blocks i am using in my build.
I think also just hollowing out the unused spaces under your plots can really help to.

2 Likes

We did that in a build. . removed all the mud under the floor. It did help the prestige.

edit (now we would have to use that mud for the bricks)

2 Likes

Edit: moved the detailed breakdown to the useful references thread so that I can better keep it up to date

Natural blocks have a prestige of 0 (not negative). However, beacons have prestige multipliers that are bonuses based on:

• block variety (different types of blocks)
  • exotic colors (colors from other worlds)
  • chiseled blocks
  • built vs unbuilt space (e.g. to discourage builds that are just a bunch of plots full of high prestige blocks)

I believe these are generally all calculated against the distribution of blocks in the beacon—so, in order to have a high multiplier, you need to maintain a decent balance of all of the above aspects. In this case, the base prestige of the beacon didn’t lower, but the multiplier did

6 Likes

Nice job @nevir, those are some useful numbers!

I wonder if variety might relate to the number of different materials used in the build. Like a gleam :poop:pile would have a very low variety score but a build that uses a good mix of wood, stone, gleam, etc. would get a high score.

Personally I think the max multiplier is too low. 2x is not a good enough bonus to compete with the gleam :poop:piles. If it were 3x-5x then maybe?

1 Like

this is where bookmark function on forums comes handy :smiley: nice reply!

2 Likes

Turns out I misread that, too. looks like 2.5x is the actual limit

1 Like

The parking lot on Kada I proves with enough the multipliers don’t even matter.

Well I guess our capital cities will reflect our real world concrete jungle capitals.

1 Like

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. Mmm bop bop.

5 Likes