Prestige value for blocks

I checked it out on the live server and as I placed lots of mud blocks down I saw the total prestige go down. NOT the base prestige, I don’t know where nature blocks are categorize but with my little test I don’t see much any change in base prestige. But nature blocks WIll reduce the bonus you get to your base prestige.

4 Likes

Thank you for the list, @Spoygg. Very helpful :+1:

2 Likes

I didn’t include blocks that have 0 base prestige, so anything not on the list is 0 by default. Not sure how all the stuff is calculated though. Base prestige is not the only thing that goes into calculation, in the threads I mentioned above there is info about exotic multiplier etc. I did some experiments when prestige was introduced and fall off for using same block was pretty mellow at the time. @Pseudonym84 made some funny experiment with high prestige blocks in single plot, they amounted to more than a build we worked on for months that is like 100 plots (lots of natural blocks, mostly mud, sponge (not sure it was sponge though)) :smiley:
Since than I do not have much regards toward prestige system, until it is rebalanced or re-imagined not much use of it, though it’s great base for expanding upon.

3 Likes

Just a thought, what if at the trunk or base you hollowed it out and filled it with higher prestigious blocks? So aesthetically it still looked like a natural tree?

2 Likes

In Eden we kept the trees and nature wins over buildings and certainly prestige. The prestige system is kind of nice and I appreciate them lowering gleam, etc. But mostly it isn’t good because it will ALWAYS just lead to people doing a ton of different things to try to game the system and get on top. I don’t know that I have a better solution but I just don’t like people focusing on it so much.

I’d much prefer nice cool town like what we have in Eden over things that people do to make it high level. Overall I’d wish people just stop worrying about it and make cool things. Stop putting tons of wealth down to become capital city or the top person, etc. It means nothing because someone will always come in and try to fight you for it.

7 Likes

I will always try to make something nice looking over trying to get prestige, it just does kind of suck when you put a ton of effort into something, only to get punished for it - That’s what I find discouraging.

Sure I’d love to have my settlement become a capital, but it’s not exactly something I would try to get over which would hurt the theme, or the general idea of what I am trying to do.

Other than that, then I certainly agree with you.

3 Likes

Yeah it wasn’t fun at some level with Eden and the limit in prestige when you kept natural areas… I wish we got prestige more prestige for a plot that was grabbed and not touched in ANY way. That would have been great for Eden since we protected so much of the natural resource. If we had landscape plots that gave more prestige that would have helped.

Of course this would be unfair to those of us that have small amounts of plots. I can’t compete with my 400 plots for those that have thousands and were able to grabs whole cities and stuff…

1 Like

I may be restating whats already known or already been discussed, but has anyone noticed that in the debug menu, under Selection->Beacon, it lists:

Base Prestige
Final Prestige
Variation (%)
Exotic Ratio (%)
Size (%)
Built Ratio (%)
Chiseled Ratio (%)
Total Bonus (%)

…the interesting part here to me is the chiseled ratio, because most of what i have placed is natural blocks also, but a lot of it chiseled (19%)…

So I’m wondering if a few chiseled natural blocks overcome the (-) from natural blocks…

3 Likes

Chiseling the block would increase your Chisel bonus. The actual block prestige won’t change. Devs smite me if I am wrong but since natural blocks give 0 prestige the chisel percentage will only effect your base prestige it won’t change your natural block’s prestige in any way. If you chisel every single block that may give a good bonus though.
So basically any chiseling is good no matter what type of block is on and it’s a good way to combat the negative effect of placing natural blocks. In the same way you would have a lot more prestige if you chisel a block that also adds to you base prestige.

Edit: also I notice that you only get a set amount for every chisel block. You can’t hit the same block multiple times and watch your prestige go up at every hit.

1 Like

As @Rumplypigskin suggested, I’m seeing a much less straightforward prestige mechanic than the spreadsheet suggests. I think the model shifts after a certain point, there may even be a regional/biome component to the calculation. I was adding local sand to support a bridge build and was seeing my prestiege decrease by .5 for each block. It went back up when I removed the blocks. I’m pretty sure with enough diligence we could model it, but by then I imagine it will get changed. It is discouraging that it seems that local natural blocks, or even exotic soil blocks reduce your prestiege, for those of us who want to include a creative natural element into our builds, it makes it a lot more difficult to compete in the prestiege portion of the game.

4 Likes

Because it is difficult to quantify beauty mathematically with any sort of consistency, base prestige is weighted toward the effort involved in obtaining a particular block, with bonuses added to the sum base score to give a final score. So, the rarer, more refined blocks tend to have the highest scores, and factors like variety of sources, block types, refinements, and chiseling add a %bonus to that base score.

To help “natural themed” builds achieve comparable prestige scores, try accenting with valuable blocks like gleam, imported timbers, growth, fungus, or refined bricks. Future updates may include refined natural blocks like (possibly) polished woods, enchanted timbers, polished stones, crystals, and others with a natural ascetic but require more effort to obtain, therefore gaining a higher prestige score.

9 Likes