Prevent beacons from being fueled for longer than their past existence

Nobody wants to see their builds disappear - but others do when we stop playing. The current 6-month fuel approach is way too long for many builds. In addition to the many ideas around fuel types, fuel cost and beacon time limits based on fuel type, changing the cap on fuel from the current 6-month fixed period to the greater of :

1. 1 week or
  2. The length of time the beacon has existed

would make most short-lived builds disappear much quicker. On the other hand people who continue playing will need to refuel a new beacon after their 1st, 3rd, 6th, 12th, 24th, 48th and so forth. This would allow established sites to be fueled for month/years in the future too - making them true landmarks.

9 Likes

I like this suggestion too. As has been said many times, there are way too many temporary structures with just a beacon and a crafting table that litter the landscape for months! People shouldnā€™t be able to fuel structures with low prestige or a very new structure for a long time.

3 Likes

I think this idea may work. My only suggestion will be to make the minimum amount of time 1 week.

Thereā€™s people only able to play each weekend. And making it that way, will immediately ruin the game for them.

6 Likes

That was my thinking too:

2 Likes

Yeah, and also it should take prestige into account. If you build a huge structure with tons of machines and advanced crafted blocks, you should be able to fuel it for a longer time. Even if the beacon is new.

4 Likes

My bad, fast reading while on a trip, doesnā€™t produce too many great results.

4 Likes

Starting from 1 week you get +1 days to beacon persistence every day you log in.
I totally agree :slight_smile:
However Iā€™d love to see private worlds plot-free :c

1 Like

Agree. I would love this.

Or ā€¦ it should be an option for the world owner.

1 Like

If they were plot free how would regen work??

2 Likes

On a private world, could it be done where all ā€˜player placed blocksā€™ are a beacon all in itself. If it were a private world the owner could give permissions to new comers to lay blocks therefore the owner ā€˜allowingā€™ all structures to not get regened?

1 Like

I agree with all of this except I donā€™t think it should be implemented until 1.0. As irritating as it is to see prime realistate wasted on a 5-min player, I feel now is not the time to make potential returnees mad at the game and quit forever. Unless weā€™re a year or more away from 1.0 I think we should just stick it out until then. But I absolutely would love to see this change then. Just my two cents, not worth much. Either way, until then any and all changes will be thankfully accepted and appreciated. Thanks devs for all your hard work.

4 Likes

Plot free private worlds would have no regeneration.
Of course thats not a reasonable mode for all private worlds.
But it would be interesting to have this choice.

2 Likes

Also if there are no plots then there can be no permissions beyond a global whitelist, i.e. the entire would would have the same permissions.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly how my Minecraft server ran for two years.

Donā€™t get me wrong. I love the plot system. Itā€™s perfekt for playing with strangers and itā€™s the reason I love playing with strangers in Boundless.

But if someone wants to rent a private world just for family and friends and assuming the global permissions would allow to distinguish betweens visitors and citizens. It could be an interesting choice for this someone to turn off regeneraton.

Now that I think about it. You donā€™t need plotless private worlds at all.
You just need an option for the world owner to turn regeneraton off.
That way you can still have plots, but you can also build what ever you want in the wilds.
Giant collaborative projectsā€¦

2 Likes

This sounds like an interesting option.

I have an idea for private worlds protection system.

There could be a special kind of beacon which is permamently fueled and claiming plots would claim vertical plots from bottom of the world to the sky. That would function the same way ā€œreservedā€ region work. As it is a private world there would be no plot limit. That system would allow both private plots and a world regeneration to work properly.

2 Likes

What happens when someone gets a steam refund? does the build still sit there for 6 months?

@james

if soā€¦ spam could end up being a problem

6 months is a misnomer.

When introducing the fuelling system we auto fueled all beacons for 6 months. (Maybe a mother stake mistake but done with good intentions so that players wouldnā€™t be surprised.)

New beacons donā€™t automatically have 6 months of fuel.

The last time we discussed this the plan was to allow players to craft different fuel qualities which would determine the maximum Beacon duration. So new players couldnā€™t instantly have the longer durations. Fuel would still be easy to craft but require a skill. But there have been other ideas on the forum so maybe there is a better solution.

But to answer your question, the game doesnā€™t know if a player never plans to return either due to a refund or just disengaging.

5 Likes

I donā€™t mind having a smaller beacon limit for newer players but a week isnā€™t enough. Also 6 months isnā€™t needed for a new player. I think you will drive people away if there are too many restrictions at the start. I think linking to prestige is more important than new players but either way the tutorial needs to really explain beacon timers better.

The beacon existed length is too restrictive as well. That is requiring people to log in a lot to scale the time and keep it alive which I think will drive people away. Also what happens if I move the beacon around some or reorganize things. Not to mention if I have 5 or 6 beacons they all will have different timers. That would be insane. If it must be linked to ā€œtime existedā€ then do the account.

Also I disagree that you should have things that can be fueled for years. If we had some community structure and ways to manage beacons as a group then maybe I could agree because it is like a city core, etc. But I would be very careful with this.

I do think maybe some advanced tech that allows you to link beacons on a planet to a central beacon for fuel might be cool. This way it saves someone from having to run around fueling stuff. Of course if this exists then Iā€™d think it need to be some special fuel or something unless the limit was 6 months as well.

For me the issues are the same I put in another thread - tiny new prestige beacons that last for months and are never touched and get in way or take spots that could be used by others. I think the original decision of 6 months is fine but it must be lowered for new accounts or something. Maybe 1 month for every 10 levels.

ā€¦ok well 4 monthsā€¦ thats not the point iā€™m worried about, takes about 20mins to slap 99 foliage and wood into a beacon.

This is a problemā€¦ it may not seam like one now, but this could get out of hand real quickā€¦

ā€¦please donā€™t, justā€¦ look i understand what youā€™re getting at but noā€¦ no more skills we need to grind points forā€¦ the skill system is full to the brim with things that donā€™t need to be thereā€¦ its a messā€¦

Attaching the beacon max duration to level passively, sure thingā€¦ but pleaseā€¦ no more new ā€œskillsā€ā€¦