Prevent beacons from being fueled for longer than their past existence

This seems to assume that the XP and levelling system are constant. What if we double the number of skill points per level and double the XP per action??

The ultimate question is how is maximum Beacon duration limited? Is it by the Beacon itself or the Owner or Resources? (Or something else?)

The problem with Prestige is that an outpost will likely have a low prestige.

But turning from an outpost to town, then city, hub etc. It should get increasingly harder to keep your foot hold in the world. Gaining more civilians will help but then it costs more resources. I guess in other words you shouldnā€™t be able to skimp and still keep your town, village w/e.
edit I donā€™t know how to quote apparently
*lol tried again failed even worse so Iā€™m blowing this thread up trying to learn how to quote a reply

Is this some kind of an idiom I donā€™t know? :joy:
@james

i donā€™t think iā€™m explaining this properlyā€¦ Adding ā€œskillsā€ to a system that already has problems is not the best way to fix somethingā€¦ its just adding to the pile of problems.

umā€¦ how is it limited? or do you mean how can it be limited?

How it can be limited is by attaching the beacon max duration to player level at the time of fueling his or her Beacon.

linking it to just ā€œPrestigeā€ is a silly idea IMOā€¦ why? because there are ways to work around Prestigeā€¦
sure prestige should have something to do with fuel time but only after the player has obtained a high enough lvl for prestige to even matterā€¦

4 months of easy fuel time for a player that could just go get a refund in in 2 hours is just plan sillyā€¦ this is a problem for the players and the serversā€¦ (refunded game profiles need to be removed from servers, steam id can help with this)
but on the other hand people have jobs, family and a life so the time frame needs to be reasonable, its a hard balancing act but i think with the ideas here in this forum youā€™ll be able to figure out the best solution for fuel times.

my two cents;

Any player under level 10 has a max fuel time of two weeks.
level 10 to 20 adds x number of days per level to the max fuel timeā€¦ Say 3 or 5 per level?.
level 20 to 30 adds x number of days per level to the max fuel time to bring it to what we have now (easy 4 months).

by the time a player has got to level 25 or 30 it should be obvious that he or she likes the game enough to care about their builds?

3 Likes

Stupid phone autocorrect.

2 Likes

I think even private worlds need to regen. If they are following the same rules as the public planets so resources can be moved from one place to another then I think this is important. If you turn off regen, then I think you should not be able to move resources to and from this planet.

I am good with the suggestion of unlimited plots or special plots that can cover the vertical area from the core to the sky. I think keeping things on the private worlds as similar as possible to the public worlds is a good idea.

1 Like

Rephrase that, Private worlds would claims would not count towards the owners claim limit.

Also my suggestion would be on a per world basis. If your the only person with a claim on the world, you could fuel up to say 20 weeks. However when a world has players, the highest prestige bases would also have the ability to fuel to 20 weeks. The people below that would have a soft cap depending on their prestige of the planet at the time they put fuel into it. So what its actually fueled for is independent from its cap when fueling it. I would then add a flat 1 day per 2 levels to that players fuel limit.

So for example if on Andooweem;
My prestige is 500,000 - Im level 37, so i get +18 days and im highest on the world so i get 100% of 20 weeks = 22 weeks and 4 days maximum fuel if i was to add fuel now.
Player one is 250,000 - Level 20, +10 days. 50% of 20 weeks = 11 weeks 3 days
Player two is 10,000 - Level 2, +1 days. Bottom 5% of players = 1 week 1 day

This means people discovering or pioneering a new world are rewarded for being there first, also rewarded for their level and thirdly rewarded for that structureā€™s awesomeness. But also means they can build roads on a separate beacon or park land for builds with a decent but not excessive time it can be fueled for.

In the event you want to re-fuel and your new max is less than current, it just wont let you add anything till its under its current max fuel again.

So a max level player can reserve 1 week + 25 days on any planet, and then its limit gets higher with prestige based on how built up/crowded that planet is.

1 Like

Why do you think you get a resource advantage by turning regen off?
I would rather say the opposite is the case.
Without regen, resources that you mine or gather are gone forever.

And mining on public worlds to build on a private world is no different then mining on vulpto to build something red on a starter world. How else are you supposed to get all the colors. :smile:

What if I want a small outpost? I have a park in Therka right by SWProzeeā€™s house. I have no plans to increase its size or prestige beyond the little bit it has now. Also there are places where people have literally just a portal to some place.

I have made comments about prestige too but only meant a couple hundred points. But really it might not be smart to link them at all after rethinking it in relation to small places.

2 Likes

Personally, Iā€™m a big fan of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) ā€¦ and just to clarify ā€¦ Iā€™m definitely not calling anyone here stupid!

This suggestion by @selection ā€¦

ā€¦ I think holds some merit and could be quite a viable extension to the current beacon fueling system in place now.

Instead of any player just being able to buy the higher grade materials needed to fuel your beacon for the maximum amount of time, I think you should learn how to fuel your beacon, by leveling up your character. This would also be an additional way to reward the player for leveling up (along with the normal plot and coin rewards). I donā€™t think it needs to be incremented at every level though - maybe every 5 levels? Something like thisā€¦

Char. Level Fuel Type Max. Fuel Time
0 Foliage 2 weeks
10 Foliage 4 weeks
15 Foliage 5 weeks
20 Wood Trunk 6 weeks
25 Wood Trunk 7 weeks
30 Wood Trunk 8 weeks
35 [Other Material] 10 weeks
40 [Other Material] 12 weeks
45 [Other Material] 14 weeks
50 Oortstone(?) 16 weeks

I agree - if a private world is connected to the main game universe, then the normal world rules should apply, including regen.

9 Likes

Nice, always keep it simple, and I also agree, any world connected to the main universe must follow the same rules as it, private or not. If a world is fully private and isolated from the public universe, then I think you should be able to change regen and plots etc

2 Likes

Actually I am concerned about a bunch of non-regen planets linked to a starter world being a drain on the resources of that planet. It may not be a valid concern since we do not know how or where the private planets will be linking. If the private planets for US East all connect to the same starter and they have all turned off regen, are they not going to go to the closest planet to gather resources? You are talking about large cooperative builds that might need a great deal of wood, stone, coal, copper, etc. They could make an area pretty bare and unless the area is untraveled for 8 or 13 hours (I am not sure which), it will not regen and the barren area will expand. I know this could happen anyway. The people from the private planet are not restricted to only gathering on their world, but I think it is more likely with regen turned off.

1 Like

If I am understanding your grid, level 50 can fuel up to 16 weeks using various materials from foliage up to ort stone. If that is what you mean then I like the suggestion.

Think about color variations, people will mine outside of private worlds despite regen or not.
I guess private worlds will be starter level planets. So mining late game will be more efficient on higher level worlds anyway.
Additionally: They promised 42 people to design a public world. So there will be at least 42 worlds.
I donā€™t think it will make any noticeable difference if some private worlds decide to turn regen off.
But nevermind.

Granted I see where you are coming from, imo I think that an outpost either just a single player or a few players or a huge city itā€™s should be something that at least twice a month it would need fuel, maintenanceā€¦ Or maybe prestige could also have an impact from how many player(s) are there to how long player(s) stay within its parimiters

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s what @selection started on and I expanded upon.

If Iā€™m not mistaken, the plan is to use more rarer materials to fuel the beacons for longer periods anyway (not just foliage and trunks as it is now), so this would just be an extra link to character leveling to be able to unlock those additional fuel types.

I donā€™t like this idea. So like Dzchan94, I can only login once or twice a week. So you are saying that my limit will be 1 week for 7 weeks when I get 2 weeks? That is incredibly unfair to people with erratic schedules. I think it should just go weekly like the OP says. Fuel it weekly, and with every week its cap goes up by a week. so after 8 weeks I can chose to fuel it for the next week, or the next 8 weeks.

I agreeā€¦ I think people are missing the point or loosing focus on what they are trying to achieve.

What is the reason we even have beacon fuel? Are we trying to keep people playing regularly, are we trying to remove builds that arenā€™t being uses much, or are we trying to clean up those partial houses and crafting tables everywhere?

If things are too restrictive or require too many steps you will lose people and just not have a big communityā€¦ Not everyone can play multiple times a week or expected to.

3 Likes

Yeah, iā€™ll be honest recently I have logged in just to check my beacon fuel because I just donā€™t have time to actively play.

I would think we are trying to remove builds from people that have quit or are not reasonably active. The definition of reasonably is certainly up for debate. I can understand where once a week might be a lot for people due to an active time at work or family. What is a reasonable time to expect people to log in to refuel or be active?

1 Like