Procedures for welcoming hoard of new players

Maybe they should allow us to trade full chests…
U can put some items in there call.it a newbie goodie chest and trade then to new players inside u can place al sorts that helps any new player.

It all depens on their mindset not every player continues after receiving items

When I started a couple weeks after I got 5 coils and 3 gem hammers to my advantage. But I was not able to gain more after due to high price back them and was not able to craft. But stil I worked my way toward and it did not stop me from playing.
Some other people do quit when they cant achieve any high end gear fast enough so it al depens on the player but in reality a gem hammer with aoe wont cost much anymore so even now the new players have the advantage of gaining the end game stuff pretty early compared to let’s say…1 year ago

1 Like

That grind to 50 with iron tools was zero fun. But back then AoE tools cost 40,000 and the only thing you could sell (without 4 hours of searching) was oort. Also plain gem tools cost like 5-10k, and you couldn’t make them without power coils…

Really, unless someone is into masochism they will welcome at least some degree of help lol.

2 Likes

I think showing them how to use a portal network, how to use shops to make coin, and the buy/sell tab is vital. Coin is a big problem for beginners and can become disheartening. If they learn where to sell things for coin I think we will see more stay.

Also where to buy machines and coils if they need them

1 Like

Also to add, how to find resources since they are planet and tier specific using the knowledge tab. Took me a week to figure out I couldn’t get gold or silver on my t2 planet

1 Like

When I meet a new player I will usually throw them a couple of pies or a portion of whatever food I have on me. If they ask any questions, I answer them. If I have any metal tools that are not forged yet, I also throw one of those to them too. I also show them portals/portal hubs, since that is a very important way to travel.

I try not to give too much, because that would defeat the player’s need to seek and find/make and create better equipment, and things.

1 Like

I usually give newbies iron tools - it feels like a great upgrade when they are going through tutorial and all that wood stone objectives.
Even after they can make their own iron tools (or even silver/gold) it usually takes them too much time to mine and then to get enough spark/heat (pre-compact times are painful that way).

I do show them where to buy iron/gold even titanium tools as its all cheap enough, but I prefer to tell them to try and craft some themselves first just to experience the progression in mining, exploring and then crafting (so, I explain which worlds offer which ores).
So, instead throwing a lot of high tier tools, I offer 1 of each iron tool (so hammer, axe, shovel, sling on top of that).
I prefer to give newbies some compact soft coal - it seems like a lot to them (and helps them go through their pre-compact time faster, as they don’t need to worry about constant peat and coal mining).

One of biggest “sellers” if it comes to newbies is to take them for a hunt (not the big ones, just me taking them for a spin around Boori or any lvl 3 world).
I show them that before the lvl 20 they can freely respec their characters, and hunting is a fast way of leveling between 14 and 19 (and it offers some nice drops to use and/or sell).
All new players I spent time with loved the small party hunting.

Also, letting them know about some magic is useful: so lattice chisel, liquid breakers and solidifiers, transformation chisels, door spanners. All the useful special tools that make building, gathering, exploring fun.
I helped new players understand all the basic chisels and shapes they can create many times. I would place some blocks in their base and show how to chisel with iron, copper,silver, gold etc. - in front of them, so they learn live.
(I have noticed that players beyond lvl 20 often don’t know those little details, like all the possible forge boons or sometime even the basics of normal chiseling).

4 Likes

I think listening to the new player first on how their experience is going so far, then tailor your help to that.

Beacons sound like a consistent issue, So maybe we all have a few extra beacons and basic beacon fuels on hand to make sure they get started rite. It would also be helpful to include Plot pages with them.

Are there many community workshops out there that new players can take advantage of with coiled machines for the public? We in Lacuna have one, it’s guild protected but anybody is welcome to join that guild and advanced lock permissions are given to the user. I think these could be a useful amenity. It might help if we as a community, knew where we can send them for help…

4 Likes

Probably! Im not sure how you claim it though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well I tried to day don’t know what happened or if they had fun.

So it started all with a “newbie” today and this “newbie” was hunting on lamblis.
Ended up doing together a meteor (me with just a titanium hamer and build skill… hihihi look at that 50+ eating dirt :joy::rofl::joy:) and explained how to trigger the meteors.
Gave some earthyam soup and a new atlas (had bought a explored lamblis atlas). Explaining that to get a rough idea where zones are the best thing to do is to take a atlas and go to blanc spots.

Also explained that there where hunt groups at certain times and it it would get announced ingame, on discord/forum.

Now a few hours later the next best thing happened a hunt on exo. Contacted the newbie again and said there would be a hunt. Needed 4 caustic protection points and could tag along but it would be hard to surviveand best to keep a little distance.

Decided to go with the “newbie” and collected some extra stuff to boost survival a little. So gave some shielding pies and revive brews.

Apparently there where all of a sudden 3 of them. Kk np :wink:. It started a little messy but we where ont the exo.
Don’t know what happened to 1 but was gone after 10 min. And the other 2 disappeared later to.
So i hope I didn’t push them to much.
When i see them online tomorrow ill ask them. Really hope they had fun at least.

Just out of curiosity what do you guys think?
Don’t know but i think next time think again… maybe?

2 Likes

Agreed! There is a lot of game to play! I hate the idea of giving new players too much! I believe in teaching them how to fish. :blush:

4 Likes

Sounds like you did a good job. They may have a million excuses why they left the exo. Maybe they simply respawned wrong…?

Regardless - Good Job taking them on a hunt!

3 Likes

Depends on age too, could be kids needing to get offline possibly.

1 Like

Maybe for a level 30 or 40. For a level 1-20 I just show them one portal. The feedback I’ve gotten from noobs is that they smile and nod as people show them networks, aware that they’ll never remember it all.

2 Likes

They had fun came back asking for an other hunt ^^

4 Likes

Glad to hear! You never know why someone might have to leave suddenly. Maybe their internet went out, maybe it was dinner time…

You did great :+1:

4 Likes