Prop limit per chunk

Our guild is building up a crafting hall and we keep hitting up against the prop limit, first with storage blocks and now with power coils. It’s going to cause a redesign of our space which is fine, but i wanted to ask a few things:

• how many blocks are allowed per plot?
  • how many plots/what are this game’s dimensions for a chunk?
  • what falls under the category of a ‘complex’ block?

If anyone wants to check it out or make suggestions, we’re located on Alder via Portal Seekers, Iconic or Sasquatch. There’s a warp to the hall, and a hole where we’re building up :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure on limit, but it would be nice if it were displayed somewhere via the debug menu for easier planning. I’m sure your not the first person to plan a build then have to redesign because of the prop limit.

4 Likes
  • standard voxel blocks have no limit that I am aware of.

• a chunk is 16x16x256 blocks.
    Or
    2x2x32 plots

• complex blocks are doors ,signs , storage blocks , shop stands, etc…

I believe the mesh limit is around 500 complex blocks per chunk.

2 Likes

I can’t remember on the mesh block limit per chunk but I think it’s something like 500. You can add as many non-mesh blocks to a chunk though.

A chunk is a 2x2xvertical area.

2 Likes

When I did my testing and brought this up for change in EA it was 512 mesh per chunk. A chunk is 2x2 plots. From my understanding there was no change to date to those figures.

3 Likes

Oof, chunks goes all the way vertical? thats gonna make a functional tower…rather difficult to plan around. :worried:

Will definitely need to rethink this now. Means we can’t fit ~100 mixed machines in the space we have now, can’t fit the coils in even if we dropped out the storage.

It’d be nice if we could get a counter in game too, to give any indication of that limit. Even if it were just something on the right-side log that shows up like when placing/unplacing plots.

1 Like

Hit F1 and bring up the dev tools. Under the menu bring up Debug Information. Look under Selection, Current Chunk. I used that to map out my chunks and then adjust my things only in areas where it was needed.

Anything that isn’t a voxel / block / chiselled block / fluid / grass is included against the limit: torches, machines, storage, doors, signs, etc.

Each chunk is 16m x 16m x full height.

The limit is 512.

If you position complex towers at the corner of 4 chunks then you can increase the limit to 2048 per 4 chunks.

(The limit only exists to stop players filling small areas with complex meshes that would cause a performance issue for all other players.)

17 Likes

Sorry for what confusion might have resulted but I clearly said 2x2 plots. I did not include that a chunk goes from the top of the world to the bottom. 2x2 plots = 16 x16 m or blocks.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification on this!

3 Likes

And now I know why grand junction use to crash my game when they buried thousands of extractors. Glad they all got removed.

just had to move a new workshop as I was hitting the limit.
Quite easy to hit with a few storage blocks, machines and a real lack of foresight :grin:

3 Likes

is there a way to see chunk beside debug menu ?

there is a way the see the amount of mesh you have in a chunk via the debug i just don’t remember where it is i will check and comeback.

Next workshop I build I’m going to fill one plot with 512 meshes then see which surrounding plots I can place meshes in to find the chunk. It will be a pain but PS4 doesn’t get a debug menu.

think they could had the chunk boundaries to the builder view

4 Likes

@Vansten
Mesh block under Selection/Current chunk

1 Like

ahhh ty mate, learn something every day!

512 (or 500?)

16x16x256 blocks (2x2 plots from altitude 0 to max height)

• anything that is interactive, machines, storage, baskets, shopstands, etc.
  • torches, beams, poles
  • also surface resources like plants, boulders, fungi

probably forgot some…

And I hear ya, I had to re-do my storage are in basement of my current workshop when I was building it. Had made some nice storage solution and then finally done with that I wanted to plop my machines down upstairs, first machine, 13th coil, poof, not possible…

I had to split up storage in 2 sections and move it to the sides of the area where my workshop is up above. Now basically have a large area in basement I can’t do much with :frowning:

Ahhh, the debug menu! Good thing I also have a separate Steam account so I can use it there but not on my main and most used account on PS4 :frowning:

I wish I had enough money to hire 100 developers for Wonderstruck! :smiley: