Proximity Chat

I’ve been playing a lot of Rust recently, one of the cool features of Rust is its Proximity Chat (when you chat, people in a certain range can hear you). Would this feature work in Boundless?

I don’t want to hear any “because people are toxic” reasons for it not working, as it would obviously be optional and you would be able to mute certain players. Or only hear whitelisted players, in the parental control tab.

I just feel like it would be awesome to walk through a portal to a city and hear all the conversations going on.

I know discord is a thing, but just being able to talk to someone easily in game is so much easier, and you don’t have to share discord info.

I think it would help practically and also socially. I’ve made tons of friends on Rust purely from the Proximity Chat feature.

Thoughts?

9 Likes

hey! :wave:
shout does this, pretty long distance.

2 Likes

A lot of MMOs have this feature & I use it sometimes too. It would be nice. I use it in Fallout a lot.

3 Likes

I would love this a lot! In-game voice chat with proximity (Optional so you don’t /have/ to hear people talk). Just the thought of hearing someone shouting off in the distance and running to them to see what’s up makes me happy, haha.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea. I only just discovered this with elder scrolls online and it works awesome.

1 Like

As a playstation player games that have proximity chat only work if you’re not in a chat party, which I usually am if I’m playing with anyone else. However, I don’t think it would be a bad addition to the game.

Boundless should be PVP/E and just have passive mode if you don’t wanna die or be on plots. So you can o my raid players when they are out in the wild.

1 Like

When you just say stuff (using the default talking and not shouting) it can only be heard in an immediate area I thought. I don’t use shout but just say…

Yeah, like Xal, I only use the Say channel. Don’t like to be in the position when I see people constantly yelling stuff and I don’t have the context, and I can’t even see them. I only use the Yell if I don’t think the person I wanna talk to can hear me in Say.

Basically, Proximity Chat is already a thing. But I guess unlike other games like WoW, the difference might not be made clear enough? Or people just don’t care if someone half-a-mile away can read them. :man_shrugging:
One thing I’d like to add would be the range of both Say and Yell channels (I think 1 block = 1 meter, right?).

Now… Proximity VOICE chat, that’s a different thing. The sound quality would have to be excellent for people to prefer this over Discord, and it would have to be optionnal because OBVIOUSLY, not everyone wanna hear other people’s voices or be heard by them… I for one definitely treat voice-chat as an exception reserved to my very best friends. Plus I like to write. Meanwhile I know some people who would rather talk in voice-chat than write. Might be extrovert/introvert thing, I guess. I’m a introvert buttface, so it checks out so far.

Point is, it would also have to be conveyed to someone that you can’t be heard by a nearby person if they disabled the feature. I guess you could have similar icons next to your username in-game, like Discord has :

Side-note : could be interesting to add a third symbol to indicate if you’re AFK, like a :zzz: symbol or just the AFK letters (simple, efficient).

2 Likes

Oh we know :wink:

I remember testing the shout distance with @Apt a while ago and I feel like the distance is the same as the red (green or blue) player icon before it just turns to its default “far away” sized cube. So, if you can make out the player icon on the compass, you’ll be able see their ‘shouts’.

The proximity voice chat would be preferred by people who aren’t ‘discord ready’, and people who aren’t very close friends. I would use it all the time for 99% of the player base, especially when exploring builds or trying to score a cheap hand trade deal.#

I like the icons idea, still waiting on the ‘…’ ellipsis, to indicate someone is typing in game.

4 Likes