Public portals closing just as im entering them

Several times yesterday and today also I have encountered what seems like a bug with portals. Just as Im entering a public portal it closes. In one of the cases my game crashed just as I tried to enter the portal, when I loaded back in and tried to enter it it closed (making that portal shutdown sound). So surely it is not coincidental that multiple different public shop portals are closing down just as I happen to try to go through them, multiple times over several days? Or am I really just that super duper unlucky that portals that have been open for ages just so happen to close at the exact time im going through them? I’d think I prefer to win the lottery if I have to be honest.

Anyone else seeing this happen?

1 Like

Happens to me too. They ran out of fuel a while ago and the portal only updates when someone walks nearby.

Edit: the game crashing part doesn’t happen to me and that probably needs some dev attention.

1 Like

This could make sense if they were all owned/fueled by the same character. Sometimes a portal will be out of fuel but still look functional. It doesn’t graphically close and turn back into blocks until someone attempts to interact with it.

So if you were in an area where all the portals were basically fueled together and they were all out of fuel, it would explain this. If it was happening to you in several places that seems less likely.

2 Likes

aah that makes sense.

You know I often notice portals to place I want to go later. So some of these places werent even open in the first place when I looked at them first, so when later I go to use the portal it becomes apparant that it never were open at all.

So… devs should work to fix this obviously :wink:

Also, wouldnt it be cool if a portal owner could allow others to deposit fuel directly into the portal, just in case it ran out?

1 Like

I think this has been fixed in Testing 245

1 Like

that’s nice, very good to know! :slight_smile:

the fix here is nothing to do with the behaviour OP noted.

The fix was to do with:

• you open portal from A to B
  • it runs out of fuel (or in some other way becomes closed one-sided) leaving A closed, but B still open until someone gets close enough to trigger the check and close logic.
  • you try to open the portal again from A… and it doesnt work because B is still open.
    ^-- the fix from Testing 245 here is to ensure that you can still open up A to B again without having to go to B first to trigger the close fully; but the behaviour of seeing B as open until you get close is unchanged.
2 Likes

I have had the same issue as the OP before, but to be honest I figured it as a client refresh issue. i.e. the last time I was near the portals they were open but then they closed sometime in between my visits so when I came to use them again they “looked” open until I got close to them and my client refreshed and closed them like they actually were supposed to be.