Q&A: Economy

Ptsd Diablo flashback kicks in
I´ve played enough online games to know that this would never work :smile:
If beacon trading is going to be a thing some sort of dedicated beacon trading system is definitely necessary.

The game needs economic sinks that Wonderstruck can fine tune. Having a tax on transactions is a really good way to accomplish that. If they don’t, the game economy will likely suffer inflation, which is really bad for gameplay and overall enjoyment

5 Likes

I look at it as more of a way to sell your design. It’s similar to other games where artists sell their services of drawing fanart for other players. But yea, I don’t know how well that’s going to work here :\

oh, that’s quite disappointing … .so do we at least lose materials or equipment? … I hope so, cuz death should still feel like a pain in the -ääääääh- abdomen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But yes, you said to come back to that topic later, so I can wait ^^

2 Likes

Actually - looking back over recent posts… we’ll be getting blueprints which master builders can sell, so you could still sell a house (or at least plans for one). It means the purchaser would have to put in the work to build it, but the end result would be the same.

3 Likes

The conceit is that the Central Guild deals with these kind of affairs. They take tax, and pay salary (by sending it out in the mail), and can also invest in some projects. The Central Guild is a Guild like any other, and whilst membership is strictly limited prominent players will be able to join. The Central Guild is a strong governing force, but player-run Guilds will grow in power, and could one day challenge its authority.

9 Likes

On the point of selling beaconed areas / the contents of them, it is something that we are looking closely at. I can’t promise it will make it in, but I hope so.

7 Likes

Glad to hear that. Now it sounds like a pretty solid system I have nothing against.

2 Likes

New life goal right here.

6 Likes

So we will have a postal system and the entire cashflow of the game will be controlled solely by a (supposedly) devchosen group of “VIP players”? That´s some big announcements for such a short piece of text.

Really looking forward to see the first 400 trolls gathering to abuse this system.

4 Likes

@Clexarews
Yup! That’s a great goal. :open_mouth:
(although you have competition :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

They will be controlled by the devs in the same way I guess

Weren´t we talking about trading beacon plots (aka. the posession of a volume of space on a certain spot regardless of what it contains)?
Similar to selling a piece of land IRL
Blueprints are (as far as I understand the concept) used to sell someone an easy way to copy something you built.
Similar to selling a 3D-Printer file IRL

2 Likes

My interpretation was that it’s just sort of adding some lore to a system running in the background. Do you really think they’re going to give a few chosen people infinite cash and the power to control cash for every other player? Really? :sweat_smile:

Like I said, seems more like lore for a dev guild that they may invite a few people to join.

1 Like

That was the way I had interpreted it as well… As I understood it, all salaries etc would be automated by the game itself, not any group of individuals etc.

3 Likes

All of your taxes go to fund the Illuminoorti. They need more Black Helicopters and spy satellites.

4 Likes

My interpretation:

Doing stuff will earn you gold, every item sold will earn you gold (i think there will be some problems here with trading, but more on that if they announce this)

The gold automatically goes to “a central guild” some sort of higher NPC entity. Which you in some way by dedication would be able to become a part of given certain benefits or maybe certain power.

He also mentioned that smaller guilds would have an impact so it sounds like a sort of political / Round table system of power and taxes. Maybe the people in power can INCREASE the taxes or decrease the gold drop which in turn would make rarer materials drop more or add some other buff. An incentive to not just keep it at 0 tax. (just a theory)

2 Likes

Not only that, it even seems like any ordinary guild could take over that position simply by ousting the Central guild.

Even if you are right and the Central guild is just a Lore concept I see a lot of other weak points in that concept.
It seems pretty “cheap” to get your money from an ordinary Cheque in your mail in a game that features teleportation, giant sky fortresses and fantastic monsters.
Does this mean that you can´t join a guild with your friends when you are prominent enough to join the Capital guild?

This will certainly lead to a lot of of rage and unrest in the community.
If this is something the “VIPs” control it will certainly be abused.
If this is dev controlled I´m sure that for every project that is supported by an investment at least 10 will come and call it unfair.

Generally I really don´t like the entire ‘coin’ concept and think there are better ways to introduce a currency into the game (lore- and gameplaywise)

I’d be careful what you say about the Central Guild, they have eyes and ears everywhere…

7 Likes

I heard the Central Guild is not ruled by the heads of each world, but that it’s actually ruled by a group of corrupt Sovereigns from far out, resource starved worlds, disconnected by Portals and that they’re acting in their own interests to swing the votes in their favour. Just a rumour though, probably not true.

7 Likes