Question and hopes about our builds before the resets/wipes

Razzior and I have been building this city for quite some time on Keuehok, and we both knew that this would be coming, but we were hoping that something could be done. We know that the worlds will be changed/wiped/reset in time, but the several hundred of hours we’ve spent building this city, would be sorely missed. We were planning on making this city for our eventual guild (we are wanting to make an R.P merchant guild with our other two friends) and were wondering if there is some way that we can save this work, or at least have it mean something when the worlds go.

4 Likes

That’s a good build, I would be sad to see stuff like this go. +1 Support

1 Like

That does look very nice indeed - I think I may have to pay Keuehok a visit!

Whilst I agree with the want to keep what we’ve built, I do think it will create an issue with regards to balance in the game - that amount of gleam for instance, if you were allowed to keep it, would make your guild instantly wealthy when things like commerce and coin are introduced.

@ben already said what is (likely) going to happen:

So the current (alpha) builds will be online until B< goes 1.0. After that the worlds/builds might become downloadable for private offline worlds.

Our current thinking is that at some point - we will give plenty of warning - we need to add new worlds that support the latest features in development. (For example, we can’t enable resource and world re-generation on the current worlds.) When we add these worlds, we’ll likely need to take some of the current worlds offline. However this doesn’t mean they’ll be deleted. They’ll just be offline. If there is sufficient interest I have considered allowing players to download these worlds and play with them locally (once the server + modding stuff is released.)

5 Likes

Is there a way to upload structures that we have all worked so hard on into the new worlds? I know a lot of us have put blood sweat and tears into these awesome builds (FYI: the Lapas Capital Tree is my FIRST big build!) and would be very sad to see them go. Any thoughts on it, is it even possible?

Thanks so much for all the hard work all the Devs do :purple_heart::doug:

If blueprints are a thing (and they are, right?) - would it be reasonable to let people capture builds on old servers as blueprints from old servers, and then transfer those blueprints to live servers? Might mitigate it somewhat

4 Likes

Transferring builds is a tricky thing, with new worlds we’ll likely be introducing new balance, regen logic and block types. Allowing people to transfer 1000s of resource blocks (for example) from old worlds would likely hurt any learning we’re hoping to do about how the resources and economy is balanced. And getting a good understanding of the economy balance is essential to Boundless being successful,.

2 Likes

Blueprints are the only viable way to migrate large builds without duplicating resource blocks, wrecking terrain or giving players unfair advantage at launch. +1 support.

If you have a colossal build that would take ages to rebuild in pure survival mode… then just think about how much more impressive it will be when it’s finished. No shortcuts.

3 Likes

I disagree, not everybody has that many hours of their life to waste on such builds (And doing it all over again). It is also unnecessary hassle, the better way to go about this is after you migrate a large build any block you take isn’t able to be traded or placed outside the beacon where it came from. So it wouldn’t affect the economy.

Any thoughts or feelings?

If you’ve not got time or resources to do it in survival mode, then… you shouldn’t have it in survival mode. That’s ok. You can keep it on the alpha realm.

2 Likes

Or you could have the blueprints automatically construct your build (or partially) in a certain area if you have all the required blocks. (Must not collide with existing blocks so you can’t use them as a method of deletion)

This would still require time and resources to obtain them but wouldn’t require so many hours to construct considering you’ve done the work before?

Only usable once perhaps. Or you would have to turn it into a blueprint to use it again.

If the idea is to not ruin the economy this idea will work, but if the idea is to be a purist then I guess not. I disagree with making things more difficult than they need to be, if you make something convenient like this it isn’t mandatory but it is an option. It only affects old builds and builds you want to migrate.

Ultimately this comes down to, purist/convenience without affecting the economy. IMO as a reward for participating in the alpha you could have a cool build on day one.

1 Like

I don’t feel it’s a good use of dev time to make a process that reconstructed a build from a blueprint whether it cost the player resources or not simply to only be used while migrating from the alpha worlds to the 1.0 worlds. In other words, simple blueprint and manual build method will be used far more often throughout the lifetime of the game, and is more of a permanent feature rather than a temporary patch. As much as I would love to see my works from the last two(?) years transfer into the 1.0 worlds, it’s simply neither fair nor feasible unless I take the time to rebuild it piece by piece.

4 Likes