Quick clip of a hunt that I joined for a bit today 😊

2 Likes

Is it a hardware issue?

I saw the hunt group running nearby and I couldn’t resist joining them lol. I haven’t been on a meteor hunt in quite awhile. Great times :grin:

5 Likes

Great video mate, love it

2 Likes

I’m convinced it’s software related, computer runs fine. My wife and I both treated ourselves to a high spec custom desktop computer each for Christmas. Just over a month ago we both started having issues with video play back in that videos wouldn’t play and we had to download VLC to play them (the computers were initially speced for 4k video editing and high end gaming) one of the issues for me was certain games shut down the instant they loaded (Boundless and NMS in particular) it seems to be games that require an online connection that shut down as Witcher 3 has no problems and runs fine on max settings. I have tried updating all drivers for motherboard, graphics, network card, etc and even uninstalled any windows updates going back to before the problem started but still no joy… all other software runs fine but I can’t figure out if it’s a video issue or some sort of network verification problem. I’m not the most tech savvy person so don’t want to mess too much with things I don’t understand.

1 Like

It could be one of several things causing issues. I’d check your memory usage %, power, cpu, gpu, etc via task manager. (Do you have a hardware monitor installed?) Then I’d check your CPU & GPU temps. If they are getting too hot, you won’t be able to play NMS or BL, in particular. Sometimes the fan curves/rpms are set way too long and high to effectively cool high end systems down. I’ve seen some bios & fan curves set so badly that they don’t even come on until your CPU or GPU hits 60-90 degrees. Yikes. GPU Monitor CPU cores monitor

If it’s getting too hot, your PC symptoms might be:
Something that resembles lag
Black screen
Freezing
Complete PC shut-down suddenly
PC shut down when you do something + your game, like streaming
Etc

I’d make sure defender isn’t updating when you’re gaming & that you don’t have any other large software running at the same time.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s none of those things as the desktop is way better speced than my laptop and my laptop still runs Boundless fine. Plus all the rgb’s on the computer are set to temperature monitor with green being the computer running cool and it’s always stayed green (corsair water cooled with additional fans)
I’ve tried running Boundless many times shortly after start up with no other apps or programs running so very unlikely to be cpu, gpu usage issues.

FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE|
|Processor (CPU)|AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)|
|Motherboard|ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!|
|Memory (RAM)|64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 32GB)|
|Graphics Card|16GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12|
|1st Storage Drive|4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE|
|1st M.2 SSD Drive|500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)|
|2nd M.2 SSD Drive|2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)|
|DVD/BLU-RAY Drive|24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM|
|Power Supply|CORSAIR 850W AX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® TITANIUM|
|Processor Cooling|Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler|
|Sound Card|ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)|
|Network Card|10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)|
|Wireless Network Card|WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD|
|USB/Thunderbolt Options|2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS|
|Operating System|Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

2 Likes

Sorry @majorvex for highjacking your post :no_mouth:

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s no problem.

If you feel like it, via PM…if you can CTRL+ALT+DEL and let me know what processes you have running, click on the startup tab and see if anything is enabled, see if anything is at or near 100% in the performance tab.
Also, if you install MSI afterburner, I’d like to know what the temp shows on that without a game running and with BL running.

1 Like

@GreyArt247 you may have done this already but if you have Steam did you try verifying the files on Steam?

Another thing to try is closing Steam and running it as Administrator. Sometimes that works…for me.

2 Likes

Thanks @majorvex and @Redlotus , it’s 2:15am here in the UK so way past my bedtime but I will try what you have suggested tomorrow at the first chance I get.
@Redlotus I have tried that as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the game … I haven’t tried running steam as administrator so will try that too tomorrow.

2 Likes

Awesome clip of the Hunt today @majorvex. Appreciate you stopping by and joining in on our Fun today! It was a great Hunt

1 Like

If it was temp related you’d expect graphical glitches no?

@GreyArt247 maybe try a game that doesn’t use steam.

Not in 2021. Most hardware has protection thresholds that will shut itself down to try to prevent permanent damage. You will experience what you think is bad lag or your PC will shut down.

3 Likes

Im no pc expert but could be cause of dx12?
I know boundless support dx 11 but dunno about 12

Pretty sure I have dx12 on my surface pro 7 (no gfx card) and it works fine

Does your motherboard or CPU have integrated graphics? Try removing it and see what happens? (Obviously turn the computer off first)

Wow it can actually play NMS, crazy! (Sp7 i5 8gb)
Anyone free later to help me powerlevel a PC toon? There’s no cross-save right?

:thinking: I don’t think there’s any way to cross-save or anything like that. Could be wrong.

Ignore that thing in the sky at 3:28. I totally wasn’t up there building at that point… :wink:

1 Like