Quick question about water and how it behaves

Depends when you did play with reflections.
Cause they changed water to be more transparent so you can see through it.

I dont think you understood my question, or i phrased it wrong. I’ve been playing for a month.

I made some pools in my base, and they did not reflect like the natural water in the world.

what i’m asking is, is there a way to get the water to reflect like in the world, is there a trick to it? or is it not possible?

I asked when cause they did change it short time ago…
Currently i think water doesnt reflect as it did previously.
Just one trick i could imagine to get some reflection is to put some reflective blocks on bottom like silver… gold… titanium. I dunno.

So i want to build some lakes and streams in my plots that reflect like the natural water in world. This is not possible? I should abondon this line for my project?

1 Like

Well ofc you can…
If you see reflection in the world…
But remember that those have several layers of water. 1 block doesnt nessesarily do it.

Sry my english is not as good as my Finnish heh

well i made a pool in my base of 5 blocks deep and that, did not reflect. it has to be deeper?

Maybe wait for night?.

I think it also matters where the sun is.

I’ve seen my pool all hours of the day! (ingame that is) it never reflected its surroundings. It will remain a mystery for now.

1 Like

Not 100% sure but I think player placed water does not reflect like how “wild” water does.

1 Like

This is natural water

And the pool i build.

To show what i mean.

Solved. player build water only reflects at the level at wich natural water is present.

5 Likes

You did it! Good to know, weird “bug”

1 Like

“quick question about water and how it behaves”

Simple answer; it doesn’t. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Btw is there any comprehensive guide on how water (and fluids?) behave physically? I’m currently building a semi submerged base and sometimes i clearly understand how water spills inside the shaft but sometimes i dont understand why it doesnt spill or why it create a waterfall/waterdoor. I suppose lava behave the same as water and any other “fluid” like cubes…

For water to reflect like you see in the “wild” it must be on the same level as the natural water level, I believe it’s 64?

Edit: must have skipped over your comment about finding that out lol, good job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Correct and to be honest it is mentioned several times before. That the reflections only work on world water lvl. It’s around that 64 number but don’t exactly know.

Wish i had live reflections in the water. But I don’t :weary:ps4 :wink:. Dev team explained that they couldn’t add it to all layers because of the way reflections currently work.
To be fair we only have universal reflection on the water if playing on ps4. So don’t mind if it doesn’t change.

3 Likes

Also, on PS4 reflective water will only ever reflect the sky but on PC it can reflect terrain and builds.

This means you can build a totally dark cave where all you see is the sky at your feet… on PS4

Best trick I found is to recess the water blocks higher into the ceiling so that it only has the option to fall straight down.

Example 1:
w=water source block
f=water flow
x=block

x x x
x wx
f f f
f f f

Example 2:
x x x
x wx
x f x
. f
. f

In a nutshell, water expands the first block it falls straight down but not the second (from a source block)

This was back in 2017, and water has changed a fair bit since, but as for reflectivity, that hasn’t changed since beta;

63 and 64 will reflect, anything else will not.

Water generally splits in 4 directions when it hits “floor”.

Two ways to control water that are useful:

If you surround a water source with cubes on 4 sides, it spills out the hole in a straight line going downward without “spilling” to all 4 sides at the source. You can use this to make narrower waterfalls.

If the block that water falls on has any chiseling at all, the water falls through it. Useful too.

Also water falls through foliage, octigrid, mould, trellis and thorns, maybe some others too.