Race Abilities

Or if not racial, customization options available to players. For example, racial specific or not, perhaps passive advantages in different environments. It could even give you a disadvantage in another environment.

Environment—Adaptation

• Arctic = Fur/blubber, resistance to the effects of snow, ice and cold water
    *Desert = Scales/water storage , thirst decreases more slowly, heat resistance
    *Forest = Better jumping and climbing

Feel free to make additions

I think you should have different racials and racial abilitys.
It could really help with the economy of boundless and it’s just awesome.
What I would really like to see are just some awesome races and lots of diversity.
To compensate for the fact that the look of the races are really important, you could add subraces all with their own customizable clothing and facial features.
I know this would take a LOT of work, but in the end I think it would be worth it.
What’s also probably a good way to solve this problem is to give the subraces their own specialization in little ways.
Give us some basic elements and the community could think up amazing things.

For demonstrational purposes i shall use four elements.

-Water: Water races can naturally swim faster and hold their breath longer.
But every race type has it’s own subraces:

-Tortles: Tortles are a mix of tortoise and turtle and are a strong and resistant race.
But they’re swim and/or runspeed is decreased.

-Frugs: They’re highly evolved frogs with a higher jump hight and lower fall damage.

-Beavs: Think of beavers with brains and you get Beavs.
These smart guys can’t hold they’re breath exceptionally long but they can carry lots of weight.
They can also build and break things underwater more easily than other races.

-Lakemen: Lakemen are the only race that can fully breath underwater with higher swim speed than any other race. they’re slow and will use up more water and food on land.

This is the only thing i have time for today. And keep in mind, these ideas aren’t perfect and would need a lot more work. and everything here is just a concept.
Furthermore i just really want a race that can breath underwater that’s why i did this one first.

I just realised this is a bit of the wrong post to place this. xD

P.S I think that if you give all the races more than one buff you could make it quite fair.
And if someone else can’t do something another person could it would only help the Economy that i’m so hyped about

I’ll preface this by saying that I’m generally against racial abilities.

However, I’d also say that if there was time and/or money, I’d love race specific costumes. To me, it sounds like the best kind of way to bring uniquity of race into the game without pushing people down a few limited and obvious routes if they are building a character for a specific playstyle and want to be as good as they can be at it.

I also think that if racial skills end up being a major feature it would be better to keep the number or races on the lower side, and not to have sub races (especially if there were a requirement for lots of special assets to be created for each race). The more different options you have, the exponentially more difficult it is to make sure that all your bonuses are roughly even. While it might seem interesting to have (just as an example) 4 element with 5 sub-races each, if only a couple of them ever get picked because they are clearly the best, I feel it would have been misspent effort.

That negativity aside, you idea about Lakemen who can wholly breath underwater has highlighted something that I hadn’t ever really considered. My instant gut reaction was “That’s silly, being able to permanently stay underwater is way to overpowered”, but when I actually stopped to think about it, I realised I was comparing things on how games I’ve played in the past have been, and that I was being somewhat short sighted. Which led to a minor epiphany.

Instead of making racial abilities minor differences so that they are easily balanced or not be too impactful on your choice of race, why not go the other way and make them SO different that you can’t actually compare them at all, and that they promote interesting or unique gameplay. Taking your Lakeman example, I think it could be really interesting to have a class that can breath for an unlimited duration underwater, but has an oxygen bar when not in water. The possibilities of literally having underwater cities, submerged cave systems and such are quite an exciting concept. Unfortunately, it is likely to be a little late in the development process to be throwing these things in. There would have to be scope for raising the sea level on maps to allow for truly deep oceans, it would have to be able to generate flooded caves and other aquatic landmarks. There would have to be enough content to make the underwater world as involved as the overwater world (not to mention working out what to do with the dynamics of fluids when you break into a cave with an air pocket from the ocean).

But all in all, that’s the sort of thing that could actually make me a believer in racial traits. It’s certainly something that would make a great expansion to Boundless.

4 Likes

i got another idea, if there was system where only certain races can choose they’r unique skill(s) when game starts, example i get this dragon looking race where they got ability to fly and other races can’t. what if those abilities can be also found from that world? i mean, there is this secret chest or certain enemy what drop it and you can access to this fly ability but only from that world where this fly ability race exist? that means races can be unique but only at the beginning of the game and you can later get that skill you wanted but with a little effort and travelling to other worlds got just a little more exited. for me that would be something to look for and makes the game more interesting than just getting all things straight from the beginning.

2 Likes

I had this other idea for the classes and races in oort.
You could add try-out time.
in this time you can change your character for a week worth of gamplay and then choose wich one you like best.
this would make it so that players might have less problems with choosing and know what to expect.
and maybe have something like a school for the classes and find out what your best at and to learn everything a little bit.

I personally think you should have diversity because that’s how economy works right?
Not everybody can do the same things like was already said by @Zouls it can only be fair.
But then make it a fair kind of fair so it’s only fair.
What i thought would be cool is hight difference, yes your maybe smaller and weaker, but still you’re faster and you can go through small holes no probs.
But then your stronger and bigger and you’re also pretty fast and can jump pretty high but you take more fall dmg so watch your steps! and you’re too big to fit through your small friends door. =P

Ima check the Race Topic now ~Bai

1 Like

###@Thorbjorn42gbf note everything down to 71 was merged from the Community input thread

You are talking about classes whereas I’m talking about races.
Regarding classes I completely agree with you, the skilltree should be open to every race equally.
But I’m a huge defender of minor racial differences, as to be seen in WoW, any The Elder Scrolls game, Guild Wars and pretty much any other RPG with different races to choose from.

1 Like

The differences for races in guildwars 2 is basicaly non existent though

Really it is like 6 skills that you don’t use anyway because the synergise badly with your class skills.

2 Likes

sorry my mistake. hmmm… if they are making all races 100% same from skill/abilitys does that mean that there’s basically no different races only different looks?

1 Like

Depends on how you look on it, in guildwars the races gamewise is not really deffined by their extra skills but the main story that follows the individual races.

I basically never choose based on racial limitation and/or skills anyway (with exeption of wow where they lock whole classes behind specefic races)

1 Like

At the moment, no difference between races besides aesthetic. I doubt it’s too late to change that, though. Personally I am impartial in this debate. The reasons for both points are equally valid.

3 Likes

Exactly that.

Although looking very different each one of these (well those who’ll make it into the game) will play identical (as it stands now).

1 Like

Most games makes the racial difference so small that it isn’t really that big a difference that it becomes gameplay defining anaway, if you don’t go wow and lock classes and such that is

I don’t understand everyone saying that races don’t matter in AAA titles. Draenei are clearly the master race with their racial heal…although that’s coming from a mistweaver monk main who gets a +40% off of it.

Disclaimer: The above is meant to be taken as a joke. It references another video game so some concepts within it may be unfamiliar to you. If that is the case, please consider that you’re likely not the target audience for said joke. Any questions or concerns can be sent to me via inbox to be discussed away from the main public discussion. Thank you.

1 Like

All other races are inferior to the forsaken.

4 Likes

Filthy forsaken would think that…#wrathgate.

Edit: Disclaimer: The above is meant to be taken as a joke and is aimed directly at it’s intended recipient. As a joke, it is not meant to be directly insulting. If you believe this post to be aimed at you, you are likely mistaken. Any questions or concerns can be sent to me via inbox to be discussed way from the main public discussion. Thank you.

1 Like

Well, even if you don’t consider the class-lock I wouldn’t call the WoW racials negligible:

Not substantial either but definitely a nice extra.

2 Likes

As a blood elf protection paladin, their racial was godly. I was an interrupt/silence machine back in the day.

True but then again with all these noticable racial differences:

It seems rather hard to balance no?

1 Like

I mean, is true balance attainable ever? I’d argue no.

Even with my racial ability on my draenei building off of a healing bonus from my class, I’m still outhealed by our guild’s shaman.

And even though I was decent at interrupts a few years ago on my paladin that didn’t remove the need for other interrupting users.

2 Likes

Anyway, WoW discussions are getting us off track from Boundless. I meant to just make a small joke but it sort of went further.

I think so long as the Boundless skill trees are wide enough and deep enough then having characters that are unique enough should be attainable, especially with the differences in forge stats and wearables. I think tying uniqueness to profession paths instead of race selection gets at the same goal but just seems to be a difficult thing for people to wrap their heads around.

Disclaimer: “People” is not used to target any one specific user or even a group of users on these forums. It is meant to make a generalization about all of us and the previous, heated discussions concerning racial abilities. For more information, please use the searching functionality on these forums. Any questions or concerns can be sent to me via inbox to be discussed away from the main public discussion. Thank you.

3 Likes