Reducing game price to increase player flow

I feel like the current price of the game is way too steep for a lot of people, since most might not even have heard of the game before.
As a Wayfarer tier backer, I can’t exactly complain about the entry cost myself, but I’ve had a few people who said they’d love to check it out, and then turn away when they saw the $40 price tag. Considering the (albeit ‘meager’) cubits store and such, it does ring in as a little too steep in my opinion as well.

I think (and hope) the new player count would increase if the game was reduced to around $20 or-so instead, but I honestly have no idea if that’d be way too low a cost or not.
The game just feels quite…empty at times. I wish it wasn’t so, even if it’s quite nice to see people wave most every time you pass by someone.

Anyone else got some thoughts on this? I’d love to hear what everyone thinks about the idea- especially devs.

I’m sorry if this topic isn’t fit for the Suggestions sub-forum, I am kind-of new to the forum overall.

4 Likes

This has been suggested many times before and I’m sure game has seen a temporary rise during steam sales.

But I’m sure they have a strategic plan for that as well.

The game isn’t ready for a massive influx of new players. They just won’t stay.
Once the game is ready, $40 won’t be too much.

5 Likes

I’m al for it to be free to play with micro transactions. Is anyone else here? Hmm but how many would complain about micro transactions and also complain about the game being to unfair as it is now. It seem this is the popular way anyway now. I’ve never really against micro transactions and those who couldn’t afford things I would try my best to help. And or put them on my team.

Also the game has been on sale a few times around 20us dollars. Games have been priced at 60us dollars since I was 8 years old. Nintendo days…

Maybe it’s a PS4 thing, but the game feels active to me. I do have hope that at some point there will be a larger player base… but all in all, I’m happy. :nerd_face:

I know from past forum posts, the devs see the game as a slow burn. I appreciate the fact they want to “get it right”.

Boundless is a great game and I’m so glad it found me!

7 Likes

I understand the mindset of the price being steep, but in all honesty it’s the best money I’ve spent on a game in years. In terms of sheer hours played, and not feeling bored of it, yet, it’s been worth every penny.

But, it’s always a gamble buying a game and I fully understand why some are put off by the price.

Perhaps more free weekends, or a permanent demo mode would entice more players?

5 Likes

Think of it as a soft launch so far, I got abit disheartened about lack of players and people leaving etc but look we’ve got a dedicated following ironing out the wrinkles for bigger and better things. I nearly lost faith in the devs but in my eyes they’ve not let us down. Maybe an over ambitious but I’m ok with the long game!

1 Like

I like this idea

2 Likes

Free weekends have 0 impact on long term numbers, generate a huge amount of negative reviews, and also some number of players that will never come back to play/purchase the game.
With farming now in, we are one giant leap closer to a “finished” product that will attract and retain a large playerbase. And I know it would be nice to play with more people, but just think of the number of trolls and other undesirables when the game becomes popular. We will all look back fondly of this time where we had the universe to ourselves :rofl:

1 Like

Time for a sale. Maybe clean up any bugs in the latest patch 1st.

1 Like

Steam has had a few sales recently and Boundless was one of them on sale along with the DL contents.

Like a lot of popular high end games like Ark etc they will always come on sale when the demand gets high enough. But it’s not steam that actually puts them on sale it’s the game developers that tell steam when to add them to the sales.

Not sure for ps4 though.

Maybe @james can answer it for you :grin:

Boundless prices on PS4

I’m happy to pay the £49.99 to upgrade but PSN won’t let us .