Release 156: HUD, Creatures AI and Butchering!

I love the stack breaking changes, thank you!

Stack breaking changes? Do Share =)

Oh do you mean stack splinting? Guess i’ll go see for myself lol

Yea stack splinting, it is more seems like it is more likely to get one. I could just be crazy though.

Boing - updated OP for 156.1.

Wow! You guys have come a long way…

@james, are there any guardrails in place to prevent other players nearby from stealing your drops? For example if they walk by right as you hit the corpse? I could see this popping up as an issue in the future.

This was covered in detail here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those drops are just for you! Other players cant pick them up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know someone mentioned this a while back but it is a bit odd that the world’s don’t have north and south poles. The north and south on the compass are absolute when they should really be relative to poles…

1 Like

will the sun rotate the planets more natural way at some point or keep it the way it is now? for me its little off compared to the moon planets rotation axis.

Because the worlds aren’t spheres (though they may be rendered as such in the sky), they’re flat squares

3 Likes

:relaxed: Waits patiently for fishing , Boats and chairs to sit in with a bucket next to him to catch those big boys

3 Likes

Fishing , Boats or even Small Ships for multiple player would be so insane! This would give our Town a real purpose! :slight_smile:

And purpose to my shipyard.

1 Like

Another thing is a bit: a sundawn is on west and a sunset is on east.

Well if you want to go all technical on me then maybe we should change N/E/S/W icons to arrows and ignore cardinal directions entirely :yum:

But you have cardinal directions on a 2D Cartesian plane (a square), which is essentially how the game world is designed. They aren’t using a polar coordinate system, which is what we use in real life. Most games actually design worlds like that since it is easier to imagine the field as a huge square than as a sphere with poles. Unless you are using complex engines, it’s very hard to actually create poles in a 3D space for MMOs. The only game I can think of from the top of my head that is actually going to do that is Star Citizen, cause I know Elite Dangerous does create absolute cardinal directions, for the reason I said. They tried using polar cardinal directions, but it was essentially overloading the servers. Now the reason why you can’t just change the cardinals direction to be just a set of arrows on the side is because when you walk on a Cartesian plane, the cardinal directions are not relative to the observer. Sets of arrows would make the cardinal directions relative, meaning no matter where you look you are looking in the north direction. Which then would make the entire planetary axis relative, which would mean that me giving the coordinates (1,0,2) could be the exact same as you giving (100,0,-45). Since the axis is dependent on where you are looking because the cardinal directions are fixed arrows relative to you, not the world. I had a professor that taught game coordinate mathematics once, really interesting stuff. Everything here was his take on it, there are a number of ways of looking at the situation and extrapolating your own rules, since after all you are the creator of the universe and can create your own rules, there are games where direction is 100% relative to the observer (player) and the only way to really coordinate meeting is by using landmarks.

Also if you really think about it, even on Earth you could argue that in a small scale the world functions more as a 2D Cartesian absolute system than as a 3D polar system. Since the only way to really notice changes on a compass would be by traversing immense distances. For example, walking from 1 end of the US to the other you would have a noticeable change, however going from east to west New York city you wont. It’s why when crossing long distances in planes you notice the flight path is parabolic, not linear. Because the parabolic arc essentially negates the fact there is a pole(turning it into a 2D absolute pole system), while a linear path would not take into account the poles and you would miss your destination.

we have a cubic-block-world in boundless so here’s another reason planets must be translated to flat and directions need to be fair and square ;p