Release 184 - Report issues here

On 2 occurrences, at that same location, I’ve watched as a creature has spawned in place right next to the beacon control.

I think I worked out how to tame spitters!

I now have my very own pet spitter… I shall call it Bugle…

It seems after a spitter decides it cannot actually get to you (because I was sat in a work-in-progress house (no roof), it becomes docile to that player… permanently :slight_smile:
It shows up as aggro’d on my scanner, but it’s as though I’m not even there. I’ve only tried this on Septerfon so far.

3 Likes

This is one of several locations on Solum where one becomes trapped in a field…walk forward, bob back. Reverse direction, bob back. Actively modifying the terrain by digging small holes eventually effects a release. It’s not great fun if you’re being attacked, though. :smile:

And another.

1 Like

Can I ask how far can creatures wander? I believe Moebius Plaza is at the center of Therka Market. I’ve also seen a an excavated beaconed area just at the back of the plaza and also has 2 wildstocks and 1 spitter in there. Feels like the usual dodgy outskirts of a town filled with gangsters.

Poor little one, it was only looking for a friend…

1 Like

Hello! I just discovered Boundless today, and have been having a blast playing it on my 2015 Macbook Pro (w/ dedicated graphics).

My girlfriend saw, wanted to join in, and since then we’ve been trying to get it to run on her 2017 13" Macbook Pro, which has these specs:

(AFAICT, it doesn’t have a dedicated graphics card.)

The problem we’re having is that it crashes after clicking through the “Click to continue” screen. It shows the first frame of the game world, then freezes, and crashes. Here’s the report generated by Apple’s bug reporting tool:

I’ve tried:

• Starting full screen, in windowed mode, with lower resolution, with the graphics turned down, with them turned up (all done by copying over the JSON config files from the working machine and editing them manually on the crashing one)
  • Upgrading to High Sierra, and making sure all graphics drivers are up to date
  • Enabling the “testing” version of Boundless through Steam
  • Enabling beta mode in Steam and turning on shader caching
  • Restarting Steam, and the Macbook
  • Running Boundless from the file manager rather than Steam

And now I’m out of ideas! Any help would be much appreciated. I’ll try my best to answer any questions you might have :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to Boundless! :slight_smile:

Also, if you can, attach the game’s log file (~/Library/Logs/Boundless/log.txt on OS X) - there might be some other useful debugging info in there

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! Here’s the log: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ac0e297249b608195071a3cb04cee40b

The crash is compiling a shader so most likely an issue with the Apple driver for the Intel Iris on that OS version, which appears to be pretty new (Dec 2017) so maybe they will patch it in a future release.

8 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver 0x000000010f3a4099 USC::CompilePixelShaderOpenGL

There are some tasks to optimize for the Macs so we can check further our end to see if there is anything wrong.

Hi Michael, in case it’s useful, I had the exact same issue when running on macOS Sierra, the previous version.

What’s the best way to request a refund? I wouldn’t normally ask, except that I did check the minimum specs before buying a second copy for this laptop.

What’s the best way to request a refund?

Try this: Q: What is the Boundless refund policy?

1 Like

Thanks!

Something I forgot to mention is that I see this on the crashing laptop, even though on my working one all regions are available (and I’m currently playing on US West):

Could this have any connection with the shader crash?

Another thought is that the non-dedicated graphics card might be taking its RAM from the system memory, leaving less than 8GB. Are there any hidden settings on the JSON file I might try, to reduce usage? This is what I’m doing at the moment:

{
"DoFEnabled" : false,
"FXAAEnabled" : false,
"bloomEnabled" : false,
"distortionEnabled" : false,
"drawDistanceSettingsIndex" : 0,
"foliageQuality" : 0,
"godRaysEnabled" : false,
"headBobEnabled" : false,
"lastCharacter" : 30272 ,
"lensFlareEnabled" : false,
"lodSettingsIndex" : 0,
"objectLodIndex" : 0,
"perPixelLightingEnabled" : false,
"reflectionsEnabled" : false,
"resolutionScale" : 0.5,
"sfxVolume" : 0.40000000596046448,
"smoothNormalsEnabled" : false,
"textureBlendsEnabled" : false
}

Sorry for spamming the thread, but it looks like other people have had this same problem with my setup:

It seems to predate Release 184. What’s the protocol for bugs that probably aren’t part of a release? Should I make a seperate thread?

Getting hassled by the girlfriend to get it working so we can play together!

Re: the server list having only US East, I think you’re on the testing branch on steam (that’s a different set of servers)

2 Likes

As @nevir says, that is the Testing beta which only has a single spawn region.

Switch back to the Live version to join the main universe. (The Testing and Live universes are separate.)

The Testing and Live binaries are currently identical so best to explore the Live version. But it seems like the game current triggers a shader compiler issue, we’ll not be able to explore this until next week when the team is back in the studio.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I’ll keep an eye on the forums :slight_smile:

Just so you’re aware, furnaces still bug out and stop smelting - repeatedly. It’s quite frustrating to have to babysit them :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I’ve had this happen once as well, when making glass. I did change to an alt shortly after starting it off though, and the other alt didn’t have the skill to create glass, so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

It has gotten to the point where my framerate is so bad I have to set all my settings to the lowest as possible just so the game is playable, I’ve even had to turn per-pixel lighting off, I can’t even tell what blocks I’m looking at anymore… but ~20fps is better than 6fps… I used to get over 30 before the meteorite update with full settings.
I’m running a 27" imac from late 2012 on 10.12.6 Sierra,
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB DDR3 ram,
and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB graphics card.

[edit] Ok wow, even after changing all my settings to the lowest possible, i am still having spikes when my frame rate drops to about 6-10, i’m mining for coal near lava and using the grapple, but it dropped before I even shot the grapple, when i was looking around for a place to shoot it… I could start counting my frames per second manually… it’s still averaging higher with these low settings but it still drops down to a countable level. to me that is definitely not playable :frowning:

i think switching to an alt or just logging out ends your furnace production. it can be a bit frustrating if you need to build say 6,000,420 bricks.