Remove footfall to balance out the playing field

At our current rate of diamond minning (due to hot-spot inconsistencies/general over mining) coupled by our real life obligations, my estimates are we will have power either in December or in the new year. That is aiming for an initial mass-craft of compacted diamonds. We could shorten this, obviously, by doing smaller crafts, but due to the scarcity I can’t bring myself to “waste” them on smaller batches.

1 Like

Well, that’s not passive income. IMO, the passive income while you are out grinding is essential.

Great for who though? I hate the idea of dailies. I dislike feeling like there’s a thing I have to do before I can do the thing I planned to do. Other games I’ve played had these and they made me irritable. I recognise that’s partly my attitude but well I am who I am and I’m a player too. Footfall makes me feel rewarded for building something & keeping a shop stocked.

Maybe tweaking footfall to exclude roads (in a similar way to the settlement algorithm rework) would help exclude the edge cases that can get up people’s noses?

1 Like

My argument is there shouldn’t be passive income at all. But with these targetted dailies all player types would be able to generate a guaranteed predefined cap of income.

@schasm @anon67769248

Oh. Huh. Never even occurred to me that I could do that. I thought the totem was useless except for a “do everything” tool back up.

so far I like these 2 ideas
but i can feel the public outcry complaining about these changes in my room

At this particular point in the development of the economy, it just makes no real sense to do it yourself (for the first few coils, anyway) other than if you’re willingly embracing the grind for the challenge of it and the sense of accomplishment. To compare diamond mining and just gathering plants and shrooms with a stone axe on t3/t4 planets (very low overhead on that venture) you’d be able to buy about three of my advanced workbench coils after an hour, two at most, of gathering (give or take half an hour depending on skill distribution)

That is, of course, per player, so if you’re part of a two person team it would be faster :slight_smile:

It sounds like he is expecting you to be able to pick your dailies. So when you log in each day you have X Daily Quest slots and a big list (maybe tied to the knowledge base so you can only take quests for things you can do) that you pick your X things from. So if you logged in today and were going to mine, you could take all mining quests. If you were going to build, then you could take those. And if you were going to mess around and do whatever there could be a “Random” button for people like me that just want to see goals being accomplished and don’t care what they are.

1 Like

I don’t understand. If you are playing the game and can choose which dailies to complete you’re not going out of your way for anything. They would be part of the process you’re already doing. Refine x goods. Gather x goods. Build x goods. Craft x goods. Explore x areas.

The argument you are making in my proposal, which is expanded on creatives original idea I think, is that you just don’t want to do a daily. In the way I am imagining it, these dailies would be a part of your ongoing play style. Nothing that forces you to do something you hadn’t planned on doing.

Do you want to talk technique? I am curious about this because if you’d said Beseverona and Emeralds or similar, I’d’ve agreed but I’ve found Diamond relatively easy, even during the bomb mining madness when nearly all atlas hotspots were blown out.

Also: I very much recognise the I Must Mass Craft compulsion. Waste is waste, but think carefully about it. Two bulk crafts as a start will get you plenty of Power and is a much more attainable goal. It’s how I outfitted my first two machines with coils.

Ahaaa I see. That’d be more tolerable then yes, if there were enough varieties available to meet all playstyles. That wasn’t my experience in other games but then other games weren’t this one. :slight_smile:

Edit:

Yeah I misunderstood, apologies.

1 Like

This is getting off topic now, but Iron Hammers on Serp seems to be the only option, which is really slow and, at least this far (small sample size, only been at it a few days) sporadic. We honeycomb mine/chase veins when we find them. So far we are <10 diamonds, but it’s only been a few total hours of mining, and done sporadically; I have a hard time keeping going while 5-7 hitting blocks.

This, Except for the road thing. If someone creates a useful bridge or path that is often used, that builder should be rewarded.

My argument is that footfall isn’t high enough at lower levels. Make the footfall increases happen earlier, like every 10K, and hit the max sooner.

I could see adding a daily cap.

MY SOLUTION TO GET RID OF FOOTFALL

I am a heavy proponent of footfall, but I’m not blind tot he issues it is causing. I just think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

That being said, repeating the same arguments are getting us nowhere.

I still maintain that some form of passive reward is essential to the longevity of the game. People need to be able to earn while they are out grinding. I actually like the idea of dailies, and I hope it becomes real, but it doesn’t replace footfall.

So this is what I propose. And it works in three parts.

1. A daily set prestige reward. Every 10Kp you earn 1,000c per IRL day, with the amount lowering to 500c per IRL day for each 10K over 50Kp

2. A “Like” beacon. You place this on your property. You only get one per character. If someone takes the time to “Like” you beacon, you pocket, lets say, 100c. Only can happen once per IRL day.

3. The portal payment. I don’t know what this would be, but i would suggest it be rewarded in Oort shards instead of coin. 5 (or pick a number) different characters use your portal, you get a shard. A character passage only counts once per day. Between this and a “Like” beacon, you make the portal hub self sustaining.

I think this would solve the issues. Passive income without overpowering the people at the top and still allowing the portal hubs to not be a huge resource drain.

1 Like

it seems it all comes down to playstyle. adding dailies might help to bring balance back but fully removing footfall will be taking away from those that like it in there playstyle.
so add dailies for those who don’t want to play the footfall game and footfall for those who don’t want to play the dailies game. there will of course be those who do both and those who don’t like that fact but it seems to be about as good as it gets.

You could balance them against each other, with some sort of cap (likely multiplied based on settlement/town/city status). So if the daily cap is Xc and you got that in footfall then you don’t get dailly quests. If you don’t hit the footfall benchmarks then you get quests to make up. Might be too complex, though.

2 Likes

it sounds good and we might be getting closer to a solution but I think if someone is willing to go that extra mile and do both they should get a bigger payout.
we live in a day and age where everyone gets a gold star for showing up and I just can’t get behind that.

1 Like

The cap is simply so the devs can have some control on inflation. You could maybe cap it so that you can only get half the total from each activity.

I don’t think anyone wants “gold stars” for showing up, they just want to play. This is a game, after all. If we just wanted to play “IRA Simulator” we would all be on the Scotttrade Forums, not Wonderstuck’s. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love that system, but I’m the achievement-chaser type. I’ve been trying to do all my dailies on all 10 alts even tho their payout is pitiful in comparison to even my meager footfall. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still don’t think everyone will agree with this, tho I think a large part of the population would like it. On a different topic about dailies I recall seeing a few posts to the effect of ‘dailies are bad because they make those with limited time and unable to do them every day feel like they’re missing out and they give too much of an advantage to people with more time to play’ or something along those lines.

:man_shrugging:

A system that rewards play seems inherently better than a system that rewards not playing past your initial time investment. Ideally the daily quests are so simple as to be fairly close to trivial if you are just playing the game (Break 100 blocks instead of Mine 50 Diamonds, for example) in the fashion that you choose to play the game.