Remove parts of the game that encourage conflict

Lol who cares. If u just went and build something had fun along the way does the issue of footfall matter and seriously it’s not instagram I don’t want likes introduced to this game. Then instead of footfall u will want likes. It is funny how serious people focus on the unimportant things. I never argue over footfall. Kinda think if your at a point of thinking about likes or footfall.maybe turn off for a week or two and comeback thinking about all the other facets of the game. Only reason people argue about footfall is because they feel they are missing out.

2 Likes

Nailed it.

Other people getting a reward doesnt affect anyone in any way… except for the jealousy aspect.

“They have more than i do so it should be taken away from them” is simply weak and spiteful. Ive said it many times, the game should definitely not be changed to cater to those types of people.

2 Likes

Adding popularity contests to video games is a recipe for disaster.

6 Likes

Yeah better to add a recipe for cookies.

3 Likes

So plots, and shops. Exo mining… I say add pvp and let us duke it out.

1 Like

The problem with blanketly saying that removing parts of the game that encourage conflict would be a good thing is a pretty toxic thing to do to the game itself.

You’d basically be gutting the entire game of large chunks of content, game features, and systems just so people aren’t playing the game and some how running into conflict with others.

Conflict isn’t a bad thing in video games. If Boundless was gutted of everything that brought it to players then the game would be empty and boring. Mostly empty which is what would be the root cause of the boredom.

2 Likes

This 100%, I don’t care if my build is popular or generating thousands in footfall, but I completely support players who are smart and crafty enough to do so with well placed roads or bridges or utility builds.

I am looking for opportunities like this as I explore around all the time and is a part of the meta game for me, replacing something as potentially lucrative as well placed footfall generating builds with “likes” to combat some perceived community conflict is ridiculous imo and would take away yet another way non mega shop owners can generate steady cash.

If Mr/Mrs Fish Shop owner chooses to build in the middle of nowhere with no portal connections that is their choice, they must have known this wouldn’t be a footfall generating build, maybe they wanted it that way, maybe they just wanted to build something cool for themselves, so why should others be punished in coin for Fish Shop’s choice which the original poster perceive to be unfair in some way?

Conflict and competition has driven humanity since the start of time, so attempting to remove vestiges of that from a game like Boundless then turns the game into a stale, boring exercise in banality, If I wanted that I would play Minecraft.

2 Likes

Because what you are describing is more difficult to code, more prone to abuse, and just simply less viable. The current system works, and while it “could” be abused, the work required to do so regularly simply isn’t worthwhile. Footfall makes the most sense. If your building attracts enough attention you are rewarded for it. Simply put even if the “fish shop” you mentioned was spectacular, an important part of setting up a shop is location. They choose to build in a poor location, and/or had a poor shop, and their footfall corresponded with those choices automatically.