Remove trading category from forums and discord

By that logic adding trade chat to the game was a waste of dev time and opened the door to more bugs. That was not a prevailing opinion on the multiple dev posts asking whether the chats should exist, how they should function, etc. That would have been a great time to tell the devs we don’t need everything added to the game as we are afraid they will write more bugs or something. Clearly both players and devs have some interest in a useful in-game trade chat.

This is (by now, at least) a brainstorming thread under the suggestions topic to help the devs improve a feature they have already invested in and are missing the mark on. If you have fresh ideas or can express frustrations with the current system, then welcome. If you’re not interested in the conversation then don’t comment. It’s extremely low value to show up in every thread trying to shut down conversation with vague goals like worrying about dev prioritization. The devs can prioritize their own time.

If trade chat works better when it’s not in real time, what would it take to get the in-game one more competitive with the other options? Do we need a way to link a game location into game chat, kind of like items in WoW? Do we need item links in game chat? Etc. These are productive thoughts which contribute to the conversation and can even help shape future prioritization of nearby features.

1 Like

…There is a very very large difference between adding and improving chat vs trying to add an in game forum system with threads and all. Discourse works. There is no reason for the devs to try to create their own forum from the ground up just so we can have an in game forum.

Never said it worked better when its not in real time. I said that not all trades can be done successfully in real time chat, and therefore the option to post in something that is a bit more static needs to remain.

UI needs a better redesign someone else already drew up a mock of how the UI should look which seems like a improvement, so I will let other people come up with that. Since I only do CLI design not GUI

Other people have already made good suggestions of what needs to be changed in other topics.

The rate limit needs to be removed or made more forgiving, we have about 80 TL3 people (including you and myself), who can moderate the chat channels.

I state my opinion, which you are free to ignore. My opinion is by no means authoritative and therefore doesn’t shut down anything. And my opinion is I feel it is a waste of the devs time to create and add in a forum system for trading when we have what you are looking at right now.

All of them have their uses, but using the in-game chat is a chore right now. Make some improvements to the UX and I’ll be happy. I also don’t like the idea that the only way to check for trades is in-game, I like how I can browse discord and the forums on the bus.

2 Likes

There are other uses for the trade category than requesting or advertising. Trade discussions for example can do a lot to keep people on the same page. Also a great place to advert a new shop, mall, or trade network.

The trading channel is not for discussions though. The idea is to post your prices/location in the trade channel then people pm you to arrange meetup or other details.

Even if you could confirm the trade category isn’t for trade discussions, it still works well for them.

no, that’s a bad thing because it clutters the chat with useless information. I don’t care if JoeTheMiner is meeting up with SamTheSalesman, all i need to know is what Sam’s prices are. then i can arrange to meet up with Sam myself, in PM’s.

removing the 3 msgs per hour would be a massive leap forward

true but it could still be a bit more forgiving in msgs per hour even 6 i think would help with people who maybe have to send out there ad in 3 and maybe forgets something

1 Like

But the market changes with new items and such. I’m talking about broader subjects. Obviously we pm when it’s player to player. Tackling gleambow color prices for example. There’s more to trading than just ‘hey boo, I got stuff, you come buys’. There’s trade discussions so traders are in the know and we can all hopefully take part in a more stable market. It’s relevant every time we get balance changes pertaining to item scarcity or new items added to the game.

Whenever I reply to suggestions I dont like I either get a warning or have my posts deleted. This is one of those suggestions.

true, this is a good point… like I mentioned in another thread, I think the character limit is too short, especially for reasons like this.

1 Like